Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned above my auto/econ button only allows econ. Looking at forum I go to add freon but when I connect The pressure shoots to the red and shows overcharged. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
Are you attempting to charge with the A/C OFF ? There's a procedure to "fool" the compressor to run and so accept refrigerant at the low side charging port.

Tech Tips or Google "cadillac forums 1996 deville refrigerant charging" or something close.

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the engine on and the econ button on. Not sure how to put on ac as when I hit the auto button it pops right back to econ. But it is running on econ.

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i reset the ac code, that allowed me to put on auto, then that allowed the meter to read the correct pressure for the ac. So i guess if you reset code to get to auto your freon will read correctly and not be "fooled" Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville
127 Posts
i reset the ac code, that allowed me to put on auto, then that allowed the meter to read the correct pressure for the ac. So i guess if you reset code to get to auto your freon will read correctly and not be "fooled" Thanks.
Yup. That's what I did woth my 96 a week ago when I bought it and it only operate on Econ. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and after connecting it again, the compressor came on and I was able to check pressures and recharge the system.

Nice and cold ever since.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Pulling battery power is one way of clearing the codes (and thus enabling the compressor).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts