Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3.6 premium ATS opulant blue
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one educate me on headlight auto dim feature . Have 2013 premium and it states that head lights will auto dim on on coming vehicle or ambient lights.
I have used high beams on but I have to manually dim them. Then it never goes back to high beam. Am I expecting something that auto dim is not capable. Had never seen my car do any thing at all with high or low beams..:suspense:

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Can some one educate me on headlight auto dim feature . Have 2013 premium and it states that head lights will auto dim on on coming vehicle or ambient lights.
I have used high beams on but I have to manually dim them. Then it never goes back to high beam. Am I expecting something that auto dim is not capable. Had never seen my car do any thing at all with high or low beams..:suspense:
Doesn't work on 2013's, only 2014+

·
Registered
2015 ATS Premium 3.6 Coupe RWD built 12/2014
52 Posts
If your car is equipped with the IntelliBeam you have to set it using the light stock. Push the stock towards you a few times quickly until you get a blue light indication on your dash that the feature is set.
I have a 2015 ATS Coupe and the instructions are on page 6-2 of my owner's manual.

This is what it says in the manual but you also have to push the stock forward quickly to set it.

IntelliBeam® System
If equipped, this system turns the
vehicle's high-beam headlamps on
and off according to surrounding
traffic conditions.
The system turns the high-beam
headlamps on when it is dark
enough and there is no other traffic
present.
This light comes on in the
instrument cluster when the
IntelliBeam system is enabled.
Turning On and Enabling
IntelliBeam
To enable the automatic high-beam
system, with the turn signal lever in
the neutral position, turn the exterior
lamp control to AUTO. The blue
high-beam on light appears on the
instrument cluster when the high
beams are on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
383 Posts
Correct, the 2013 came with an errata page advising the feature was not included.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
It's ok. If you meet cars on a two lane highway, and unless that car was built within the last 10 years and has good headlights, the feature waits too long to dim (the computer can't identify dim car headlights well). :thumbdown:
I disable mine every time I go out.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
It's ok. If you meet cars on a two lane highway, and unless that car was built within the last 10 years and has good headlights, the feature waits too long to dim (the computer can't identify dim car headlights well). :thumbdown:
I disable mine every time I go out.
Works like a charm on the 13 Esky. Button to activate this feature in on the rear view mirror; I think it says AUTO on the button. Not sure if it the same for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
If it's on the rear view mirror, isn't that the mirror auto dim control? I would think a headlight auto dim would be controlled from the headlight stalk (as it is in the ATS)... ? :hmm:

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,768 Posts
Mine works fine on my 2014, the only time I go to manual is on very curvy eastern TN/ western NC mountain roads where it won't "see" the oncoming car until it is coming through a sharp curve. The mountains are the only place I have also experienced a couple of false dims where a dip/curve in the road caused the sensor to see a brightly lit store sign to the side of the road.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
If it's on the rear view mirror, isn't that the mirror auto dim control? I would think a headlight auto dim would be controlled from the headlight stalk (as it is in the ATS)... ? :hmm:
Not on the Esky. I believe it is on the rear view mirror because the camera that detects oncoming headlights is right behind the mirror? I only figured out this was a feature and how to use it, when I read my owners manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6 AWD Coupe
217 Posts
My new 15 ATS Premium coupe with all options supposedly has it but haven't seen it work.

The stalk is in AUTO which is basically all it says needs to be done. I pulled back on the stalk a few times like had been mentioned but think that is still just the old fashioned high beam flash.

Maybe mine is broken at 5k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,768 Posts
You should see the little headlamp with A indicator on the dash appear if the intellibeam system is present and active. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I believe there is a setting in the vehicle setup to enable/disable intellibeam. Go into vehicle settings and look under lighting for an auto high beam control setting. This is in the 2014 manual it may have been changed in 2015.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6 AWD Coupe
217 Posts
I've search for it everywhere. I had an option to turn adaptive lighting on and off and it is on. In the dash itself I can see when I turn the stalk to auto it says auto lighting control enabled, but doesn't do anything Lee auto dim.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've search for it everywhere. I had an option to turn adaptive lighting on and off and it is on. In the dash itself I can see when I turn the stalk to auto it says auto lighting control enabled, but doesn't do anything Lee auto dim.

Do you have the intellibeam headlight symbol with the A appearing on the instrument panel? In the 2014 it is just to the right of the 0 marking for the speedometer. If the symbol isn't on when the lights are on then intellibeam isn't active.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
intellibeam is turned on by a forward doubleclick on the high beam stalk....you got it right when a green A lights up in the instrument cluster

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I checked while I was out running errands today and the automatic high beam control can be disabled/enabled in the vehicle personalization settings. From your home screen on CUE go to settings/vehicle/lighting and under lighting there is a setting to turn the automatic high beam control on or off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts