Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get in my car this morning, turn it on, and all of a sudden the rearview mirror starts smoking! i immediately turned the car off and disconnected the wires behind the mirror. The mirror went dark and remained so for the remainder of my 20 minute drive, even with all the wires (both connectors) disconnected.

When i got back in the car 5 hours later, it was no longer dark. (Car still smells like burnt wires, though)

I'm pretty sure the mirror is finished, i don't want to take the chance of plugging it back in.

Does anyone know what voltage should go through the 2 sets of wires and under what conditions? I know there's a 12v and ground on "ignition on" and voltage to a third wire when in reverse. but i'm not sure about the other wires. I'd like to test them before plugging in another mirror.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Here is the low down on the connections to a Gentex mirror (with comp and temp) cut from a late model GM product. The connector pin numbers are found on the wire incursion side of the mating connector.

GM wire harness color function

PIN 1 PINK POWER +12 volts
PIN 2 BK CHASSIS, GND
PIN 3 LT GRN BACKUP LIGHTS
PIN 4 GY TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
PIN 5 PINK TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
PIN 6 DR GRN/WT TEMP PROBE
PIN 7 BK/WT TEMP PROBE

Note: Pin 3 is to be connected to the backup lights to turn off the auto dim feature in reverse. If you intend not to use this feature connect the LT GRN wire to chassis ground. If this pin is floating the auto dim will not work properly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mirror doesn't have the compass or temperature. And my car doesn't have auto-dim side mirrors.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
The only wires needed are the power and ground. The backup can be hooked or not, makes no difference. The harness you have wasn't made specifically for one car/mirror. One harness can be used for different mirrors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts