Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone has been here and can help.

The auto pull down lower latch stopped working so I took it apart and lubed it (it was jammed with hard grease). Now it works but will not stop moving up and down with
the lid raised. If I push the lid down, it works fine, but opening it and leaving it open, the lower loop keeps moving up and down, up and down, as if it's looking for the latch on the lid.

Is there some sort of mercury switch in the lid to prevent this??

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,257 Posts
It sounds like a mechanical issue. The switch (lever) "thinks" the lid is down. See if something prevents the switch mechanically from proper movement/operation. I have disabled pull-down on both Cadillacs I have owned

Check this out as well.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid you were going to ask that question, what year is my Cadillac? I can't remember what year car it came from at the salvage yard. The upper latch release and lower pull down mechanism all seem to be the same, however and I got several of the lower pull down units. I installed them in a 46 Ford coupe and my problem is, I can't seem to get them to work correctly.

The upper latch works but the lower pull down unit seems to want to keep cycling if the lid is up. If I close the lid it works. If I open the lid, it releases, but the pull down keeps cycling.I hate to buy a new $30 switch when two used switches both act the same way. Maybe they tend to fail?? There must be some sort of cut out when the lid is open.

Another issue is, If the unit did stop cycling when the lid goes up, how is the pull down to know when it should pull the lid down when you lower the lid to engage the yoke?? One of these units may be insulated and when they are engaged, current flows from the upper latch to the lower pull down unit to fire it up. Then it will lower. Or maybe a mercury switch... Is this possible??

I'm about ready to throw the lower unit away, and have a simple solenoid release rear deck lid. This seems to be a problem for many Cadillac owners by the amount of parts available on-line, and the number of online requests for help.

Any ideas?? Thanks,
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts