Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Black Raven CTS-V Previous 2007 Black Raven CTS-V
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be relocating to Austin where I'm based out of in the real near future and was curious about the offerings down there. I'm usually in Austin 4-6 times a year, so I know that there is plenty of entertainment there, and will probably move into the Round Rock school district if I do go.

With that being said, How are the dealership(s)? Any places to race (drag/twisties)? How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate? Anything else you can think of about the car scene?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
I may be relocating to Austin where I'm based out of in the real near future and was curious about the offerings down there. I'm usually in Austin 4-6 times a year, so I know that there is plenty of entertainment there, and will probably move into the Round Rock school district if I do go.

With that being said, How are the dealership(s)? Any places to race (drag/twisties)? How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate? Anything else you can think of about the car scene?

Thanks.
Drive up to the DFW area...last month we had 12 V's at a hooters car show.

·
Registered
Platinum CTS-V
145 Posts
How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate?

Thanks.

Not to sure about the dealers but knock on wood, its been 5 months now for me with no front plate and haven't got pulled over yet, some guys say they've done it for years. Keep a plate under your seat or in your trunk and if you do get pulled over tell them you took it off for show.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm going on 2 months and no ticket...i dont even have holes drilled in the front

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
Drive up to the DFW area...last month we had 12 V's at a hooters car show.
why don't you let me know when you have the next meet... preferably sometime soon, like before the end of august or something.

i'd drive up there for the weekend for sure. i've got some friends in DFW i need to visit in the car anyway.

so yeah, next time you have a DFW meet, count me and my ride in.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Any places to race (drag/twisties)?

Thanks.
I don't know what kind of terrain you are used to, but here in Texas we have a lot flat land. In contrast, Austin, a.k.a. the "Hill Country" is known for hills and elevation changes. It also has a lot of area lakes. As a result, a lot of us in Texas like to go the Austin area to ride motorcycles and drive sports cars around that area. In sum, its is V Country. Finally, Austin has a lot of students operating on "daddy's money" so you will see a lot of fine machinery, some of which is automotive.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Mex food in better and cheaper in San Antonio, one hour+ south of Austin if traffic is not heavy.

Study the traffic volumes prior to selecting living quarters. College town. Hi tech, good income, lakes nearby. Traffic on 35 North and South is a real bear in am and in pm.

Week ends too--sometimes all day.
35 is main artery from Mex to Dallas.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Mex food in better and cheaper in San Antonio, one hour+ south of Austin if traffic is not heavy.

Study the traffic volumes prior to selecting living quarters. College town. Hi tech, good income, lakes nearby. Traffic on 35 North and South is a real bear in am and in pm.

Week ends too--sometimes all day.
35 is main artery from Mex to Dallas.
Your critical of Austin because they can't compete with San Antonio when it comes to Mexican food. Man you tough.

·
Registered
2016 Black Raven CTS-V Previous 2007 Black Raven CTS-V
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what kind of terrain you are used to, but here in Texas we have a lot flat land. In contrast, Austin, a.k.a. the "Hill Country" is known for hills and elevation changes. It also has a lot of area lakes. As a result, a lot of us in Texas like to go the Austin area to ride motorcycles and drive sports cars around that area. In sum, its is V Country. Finally, Austin has a lot of students operating on "daddy's money" so you will see a lot of fine machinery, some of which is automotive.
I guess I should have been more specific. Looking for tracks to run the car at. I thought I heard of a dragstrip in Georgetown, but I'm not positive.

How far of a drive is DFW? 3 1/2 - 4 hours? Wouldn't mind getting together with you guys.

I think I will take my chances on the front plate. Takes away from all the hard work the designers put in to it in the first place! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts

Thanks.
I've had my V for 2 years now and have never had the pleasure of bringing it in to Covert for service. A week from Monday will by my first time (state inspection and fix for peeling AC vent above NAV unit).

I've got a front plate on the V, but I went 3 years without getting ticketed in my M3 (which stood out much more - Laguna Seca Blue).

It appears we have quite a few V local owners/members on the board here. One of these days we will all get together for a meet.

Welcome to Austin/Round Rock !

-- Lee

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,042 Posts
Austin is the Cambridge or Berkley of Texas. It's a communist pimple on the ass of an otherwise right-thinking state.

You'll find young 20-something co-eds wearing Che Guevara t-shirts -not because they think its chic like most brain dead morons- but because they actually know who he is and like what he stood for.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
enjoy the rain :)
Rain? What rain? Its been sunny and in the 90's! The platinum V looks beautiful after the bikini car wash...well ok...maybe they missed a few spots but who cares!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Austin is the Cambridge or Berkley of Texas. It's a communist pimple on the ass of an otherwise right-thinking state.

You'll find young 20-something co-eds wearing Che Guevara t-shirts -not because they think its chic like most brain dead morons- but because they actually know who he is and like what he stood for.
Gadamn hippies! :want:

·
Registered
116 Posts

That's Austin, not Round Rock ! :tisk:

-- Lee

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I've had my V for 2 years now and have never had the pleasure of bringing it in to Covert for service. A week from Monday will by my first time (state inspection and fix for peeling AC vent above NAV unit).

I've got a front plate on the V, but I went 3 years without getting ticketed in my M3 (which stood out much more - Laguna Seca Blue).

It appears we have quite a few V local owners/members on the board here. One of these days we will all get together for a meet.

Welcome to Austin/Round Rock !

-- Lee
Austin? What...do y'all have 3 V's down there? You should roll up to the mighty DFW for our next meet. That is if you like seeing 13+ V's at once.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess I should have been more specific. Looking for tracks to run the car at. I thought I heard of a dragstrip in Georgetown, but I'm not positive.
How far of a drive is DFW? 3 1/2 - 4 hours? Wouldn't mind getting together with you guys.
I think I will take my chances on the front plate. Takes away from all the hard work the designers put in to it in the first place! :)
Howdy, welcome to Austin. No tracks in Austin that I know of, but there are some close enough. Closest is the Little River track in Temple, Tx. Wow, what a place. $10 to run unlimited runs, poor traction and track conditions, chock full of teenagers wearing wife-beaters and tube-tops, etc. Regardless, we'll give it a try in a few weeks as a group.

Better bet is the San Antonio Raceway (about 90 mi south).

Lastly, I think there is a track in Sealy, Texas, which is almost to Houston (120 mi). Take care.

·
Registered
BLK 05 CTS-V (sold) 92 Widebody NSX (current) Looking for V2
181 Posts
Not sure how far austin is away from college station but there is the world texas speedway there. I've always wanted togo there.

·
Registered
soon to be CTS-V
17 Posts
I was raised in Round Rock before I came out to LA. Loved it. It's home. Don't worrry about too much police in Round Rock and North I-35. But don't speed in Cedar Park and I-83 past McNeil. I swear thats where all the bored and easily angered bottom-dwelling police dwell. Too many tickets, citations and run ins there...Haha. But I think you'll love Austin and Round Rock. Great place to raise a family. If you have to live in TX, live in Austin.

·
Registered
soon to be CTS-V
17 Posts
Howdy, welcome to Austin. No tracks in Austin that I know of, but there are some close enough. Closest is the Little River track in Temple, Tx. Wow, what a place. $10 to run unlimited runs, poor traction and track conditions, chock full of teenagers wearing wife-beaters and tube-tops, etc. Regardless, we'll give it a try in a few weeks as a group.

Better bet is the San Antonio Raceway (about 90 mi south).

Lastly, I think there is a track in Sealy, Texas, which is almost to Houston (120 mi). Take care.
Is there a track out by Fort Hood. I remember someone saying that back when I was in high school. That's aways back so I don't if that still accurate. But I remember Friday nites was the time to whoop all the military boys who came into Austin and Waco with their soft rides. Good times..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts