Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner dealing with training on this beast. I've been playing with the audio system of a nav system attempting to store and organize music.

I have a number of MP3 tunes which are labeled as seen on my PC but are not when loaded on the CTS HDD. This is also the case with a couple of new CDs which apparently are not in the Gracenote database currently.

So apparently for different reasons tunes can get loaded without any identifying information. Once loaded in this manner, it seems they are virtually lost forever with respect to being able to play anything untitled (No Info).

Thanks to this forum I gather some of you format your music first on your PC and then burn it on a CD or Flash Stick to download to the CTS HDD in a format it understands and accepts.

The question is how do you format this info onto the individual songs in a format the HDD accepts? Also what kind of file structure do you use so you can keep different things separate.

I'm trying to utilize my Nero software to do this but I'm at a loss as to what it is I'm actually trying to create.

Possibly there's a post I missed which explains this... All help kindly appreciated... :hmm:

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
You need to edit the ID3 information in your MP3 files. Easy to do in Windows Explorer. Right click on the song or group of songs (i.e., and album), select properties, then the summary tab, then click the advanced button. Make sure the "artist" entry is something you can find easily in a list. I add the artist name to the album title (e.g., Beatles, Help instead of just Help), and I change Genre to one of a few categories, such as Rock, Country, Jazz, or Classical.

You can edit all the songs on an album at once by simply selecting all of them and doing the above, but of course the track number and individual song titles require that you edit each one separately (rarely need to do that, but sometimes the ID3 information is simply wrong).

Once all of this is done, you can easily find the music you want by Album (my preference) or Artist or Genre. In addition, on a USB jump drive, you can search by folder, so you should keep each album in a separate folder.

HTH.

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI RWD FE2
224 Posts
I just have all of my music imported into Windows Media Player 11. Then use that to find the album info either on it's own or manually search for it. Then it'll populate everything on it's own. I also buy most music from Amazon. DRM Free, 256kbps or higher, and already has the ID3 info. Then copy to a USB key and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
342 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but the questions seems to be about losing the info once you copy the music to the HDD. The answers above, I think, are based on the premise that you leave the music on a usb stick or flash drive. I think... stress think... that once you copy music to the HDD that the gracenotes software does its own lookups and will put whatever music info (titles, genre, etc) that it deems appropriate on each item.

I've tried downloading music to the HDD but couldn't keep things grouped the way i wanted. now almost all my music gets played from a usb stick that stays in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
This I'm sure of as I have 8.79 GB of music in the HDD and another 13 GB on a USB drive, about 200 albums total plus another 1200+ individual songs. Modify the ID3 info the way I've described and you then can easily sort and select the music by album title, artist, genre, folder (USB only), or all songs. Not guessing here -- it works this way on my car. Downloading to the HDD does NOT change this at all.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This I'm sure of as I have 8.79 GB of music in the HDD and another 13 GB on a USB drive, about 200 albums total plus another 1200+ individual songs. Modify the ID3 info the way I've described and you then can easily sort and select the music by album title, artist, genre, folder (USB only), or all songs. Not guessing here -- it works this way on my car. Downloading to the HDD does NOT change this at all.
You're absolutely correct on this. It is the way to go. I played around with several pieces of software attempting to edit successfully for the HDD but the only one that worked without a hitch was your method.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
sorry to bring up an old post but I have a question about this.

I recently recorded a CD to my H.D. The songs are not in the same order that they are in on the CD, the HD plays them in alphabetical order.

Also I tried copying a "CD" from a USB thumb drive and it acts the same way. THe ID3 info is correct for the songs (track number, songs, album, artist) the songs get grouped uder the artist in alphabetical order, not categorized by CD.

am I doing something wrong?

-Mark

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
That's a real shortcoming, as far as I can see. It's generally not terribly important, but for some albums, such as classical, it's critical.

One workaround is to edit the ID3 tags and add numbers to the song titles, such as "01 Song Title," "02 Song Title," etc.

If you simply don't want to hear the music in alphabetical order of the song titles, you can press the "random" button. Of course, that's no solution for classical music or other albums where the order of tracks is important.

While we're bitching about the non-user-friendly menus, one other problem is the large font used for the NAV-Audio screen -- it limits you to seeing only part of the title. Not good!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
While we're bitching about the non-user-friendly menus, one other problem is the large font used for the NAV-Audio screen -- it limits you to seeing only part of the title. Not good!

Even if you push the info button?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
The info button doesn't provide any information about the music being played -- it pops up a screen giving you weather and XM traffic information, or voice command help, or at least that's how it works on my car.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The info button doesn't provide any information about the music being played -- it pops up a screen giving you weather and XM traffic information, or voice command help, or at least that's how it works on my car.
I must be dyslexic. I thought I had read that you had the non-Nav screen.:alchi:

On the units without Navigation, pressing the info button gives details on the song that is being played. I have not yet played MP3's, but it does this for XM and FM stations.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmmm, that's interesting. When music is playing in my car when I press the info button I get the artist, song playing and I believe the album but I'm not positive about that. That goes for CD tracks, USB, HDD and iPod.

-Mark

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hmmmm, that's interesting. When music is playing in my car when I press the info button I get the artist, song playing and I believe the album but I'm not positive about that. That goes for CD tracks, USB, HDD and iPod.

-Mark
Do you have Navigation or just the upgraded audio? Please clarify.

This describes how mine works with the base audio system (If you can call an 8 speaker Bose system with XM, base).

If you have the upgraded audio system, then we share the same screen. However, if you have the upgraded audio system & Nav, then your system would be identical to The_Judge.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the upgraded audio but no Nav. It's the 10 speaker with 40G HD. DVD audio only, no video.

-Mark

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Get MediaMonkey from Download.com, it's free and you can manage the Tags as you want. If you are downloading your music to the HDD, then forget about organizing your music into folders, you will have to tag all your songs to sort them. I recommend to tag the genre with as few genres as possible. For instance, I just have this genres: Rock/Pop, Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Spanish (I'm Mexican) and Country. So when I want Pop music for instance, I just look for "Rock/Pop" and there goes all that kind of music.

When I first downloaded my music into the HDD, I had a lot of music Genres (Pop, Rock, Alternative, Progressive, Country, etc.) and that made it very difficult to find music or to play what I wanted. Now having 3 or 4 Genres makes it easy to hear what I want. Again, I really recommend you guys to download MusicMonkey because it is very easy to modify the tags on you music.

Sorry about my english, I know it sucks, but I'm Mexican.... BTW, I love my car.... coming from German cars and now I know american cars are as good if not better than europeans. (a non biased opinion from Mexico)

Regards to you all.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Get MediaMonkey from Download.com, it's free and you can manage the Tags as you want. If you are downloading your music to the HDD, then forget about organizing your music into folders, you will have to tag all your songs to sort them. I recommend to tag the genre with as few genres as possible. For instance, I just have this genres: Rock/Pop, Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, Spanish (I'm Mexican) and Country. So when I want Pop music for instance, I just look for "Rock/Pop" and there goes all that kind of music.

When I first downloaded my music into the HDD, I had a lot of music Genres (Pop, Rock, Alternative, Progressive, Country, etc.) and that made it very difficult to find music or to play what I wanted. Now having 3 or 4 Genres makes it easy to hear what I want. Again, I really recommend you guys to download MusicMonkey because it is very easy to modify the tags on you music.

Sorry about my english, I know it sucks, but I'm Mexican.... BTW, I love my car.... coming from German cars and now I know american cars are as good if not better than europeans. (a non biased opinion from Mexico)

Regards to you all.
I see this is your first post. Your english is better than most. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

Regards to you all.
Thanks for the recommendation re MonkeyMusic -- I'll check it out.

You're correct that there is no folder option on the HDD, but there is such an option on the USB drive. It's redundant, however, or at least it is on my system, because each album is in a separate folder. Sorting by album or by folder thus gives me the same result. However, sorting by album works on both the HDD and the USB, so I use that option most of the time. It gives me quick access to most of my music, making it easy to find what I want.

I do have one folder on the USB, however, that has about 1200 individual songs rather than albums. I usually play that one in random order and press the "next" button if I don't like what pops up. Fortunately, all of those tracks are retitled to show the artist's name before the song title -- such as "Beatles, Help."

As for your English, I know U.S.-born, native-English-speaking lawyers who don't write any better than you, so don't apologize.

Were you educated in Mexico, and did you learn English there? Do you still live there? In any case, welcome to the forum, and thanks again for the recommendation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts