Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to replace the stock radio with something a bit more modern? (I have a 2011 SRX Luxury addition).

I have seen an Android radio option available through Phoenix Automotive, but it's $799.00 and it seems to be a single source provider from China. It looks great, but I'm wary of shelling out that kind of coin. I can't seem to find any retrofit options through the name brand manufacturers.

The other issue is that I loathe the small built in back-up camera monitor in the mirror. I'm used to it but not happy with it. Any mirror upgrades, or would it just make more sense to go with the Android based system?

see Phoenix

I'm just stunned that no one other than one company is offering a solution. Anything else out there?

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
241 Posts
I don't believe either of those will be all that easy to do from what I've read here. Lots of threads if you really want to, study up. IMO leave well enough alone. Too much computer controlled integrated stuff.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyone attempted to replace the stock radio with something a bit more modern? (I have a 2011 SRX Luxury addition).

I have seen an Android radio option available through Phoenix Automotive, but it's $799.00 and it seems to be a single source provider from China. It looks great, but I'm wary of shelling out that kind of coin. I can't seem to find any retrofit options through the name brand manufacturers.

The other issue is that I loathe the small built in back-up camera monitor in the mirror. I'm used to it but not happy with it. Any mirror upgrades, or would it just make more sense to go with the Android based system?

see Phoenix

I'm just stunned that no one other than one company is offering a solution. Anything else out there?
I found some other vertical Tesla style units on alibaba and even Amazon.

I’m thinking of jumping in one of them direct from China or Phoenix. The 10” full HD screen sounds delish. And being an iOS guy, having native CarPlay is clutch.

If I chicken out I’ll end up with a NavTool CarPlay unit at the very least, which has gotten pretty crap reviews on this forum.

Also, addressing your back-up cam issue, Androids have RCAs on the back of their unit that allow you to hook up HD rear and front cameras, and even 360 if so inclined. And they claim to have built wiring harnesses that are Bose friendly.

I’ve watched a bunch of Instal vids on YouTube and it doesn’t look all that difficult. I do have some audio experience though.

The main problem with just replacing the head unit (aside from an Android) in our cars is that everything is connected through the Bose system...I mean everything.

If going with a name brand double din unit you’d likely have to pull out or bypass the Bose amp, add aftermarket amp/amps...and then replace ALL the speakers too. Most aftermarket head units aren’t equipped to handle a 2ohm signal, so it be plug and play, and all the Bose speakers have small onboard amps too, that would need to all go away too.

This will end up costing you a LOT more than the Android.

I ended up pulling all Bose components out of my Infiniti Red400, and ended up having to run all new speaker cables too. It was a real pain, and all the gear I wound up replacing the Bose stuff with cost me around $3k when all was said and done.

It sounded frickin’ AMAZING, but as a DIY it’s quite a commitment. Took me weeks. Unless you’re willing to replace nearly everything and drop some serious coin, I’d skip it all together if not going with an Android type unit.

Either way you’ll end up losing some Cadi functionality though: chimes, in cabin noise reduction, to name some.

If I do make the plunge I’ll document the process with pics, and my thoughts on the final outcome. I was looking to buy something this week.

Good luck with what ever avenue you go down, and keep us in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some other vertical Tesla style units on alibaba and even Amazon.

I’m thinking of jumping in one of them direct from China or Phoenix. The 10” full HD screen sounds delish. And being an iOS guy, having native CarPlay is clutch.

If I chicken out I’ll end up with a NavTool CarPlay unit at the very least, which has gotten pretty crap reviews on this forum.

Also, addressing your back-up cam issue, Androids have RCAs on the back of their unit that allow you to hook up HD rear and front cameras, and even 360 if so inclined. And they claim to have built wiring harnesses that are Bose friendly.

I’ve watched a bunch of Instal vids on YouTube and it doesn’t look all that difficult. I do have some audio experience though.

The main problem with just replacing the head unit (aside from an Android) in our cars is that everything is connected through the Bose system...I mean everything.

If going with a name brand double din unit you’d likely have to pull out or bypass the Bose amp, add aftermarket amp/amps...and then replace ALL the speakers too. Most aftermarket head units aren’t equipped to handle a 2ohm signal, so it be plug and play, and all the Bose speakers have small onboard amps too, that would need to all go away too.

This will end up costing you a LOT more than the Android.

I ended up pulling all Bose components out of my Infiniti Red400, and ended up having to run all new speaker cables too. It was a real pain, and all the gear I wound up replacing the Bose stuff with cost me around $3k when all was said and done.

It sounded frickin’ AMAZING, but as a DIY it’s quite a commitment. Took me weeks. Unless you’re willing to replace nearly everything and drop some serious coin, I’d skip it all together if not going with an Android type unit.

Either way you’ll end up losing some Cadi functionality though: chimes, in cabin noise reduction, to name some.

If I do make the plunge I’ll document the process with pics, and my thoughts on the final outcome. I was looking to buy something this week.

Good luck with what ever avenue you go down, and keep us in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went ahead and ordered a Tesla unit of Ali Express; Phoenix wouldn't commit to getting anything before 30-45 days. I am just switching from iPhone to Android, so I think I'm going to get a Carlink wireless interface. Sill researching.

I would love to start from scratch, but the Bose stuff is good enough these days for me. I can't fold up like a pretzel anymore like I did with the full re-wire and sound deadening that I did with my 84 Vette, and my hearing is getting worse, so I'm not sure I'd notice the difference.

I'm assuming I'll have to pull new wiring for the front/rear cameras; I'm not looking forward to that, but I need something a bit bigger than the mirror display.

Pray for me. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts