Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my parents told me I should buy a new car pretty soon (within a year or so), and I jokingly said something about getting a Mercedes (I've always wanted an older S Class, W140 or W126) and they didn't scoff at that or shoot it down like they've done before, they know that I work long hours and make good money now, so those cars are coming into my realm now.

Anyways, there are a few german luxury cars I've got on my mind:
-E38 BMW 7 Series
-E39 BMW 5 Series
-W140 Benz S Class
-First Generation A8

Otherwise, I kinda like the A6 and pre 1996 E Class, but those are getting old now. I thought about the A4 and 3 Series also, but I like cars with lots of room for 4, and I've ridden in an A4 before (1998 1.8T sedan) and there's no room in the backseat, and the last generation 3 Series was better, but not totally up to my level ( I've been spoiled by these large sedans :O ).

Anyways, what can you all recommend? Are the maintenance and repair costs really as high as everyone says they are? Can a backyard mechanic do a good amount of the work at home, or is it all tough and strange to do?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the most logical choice if I stay with a luxury car, but to be honest, the only Cadillacs from the time frame I'm looking at (post 2000) that I like is the 00-02 Eldorado and 00-03 Seville and 04 SLS. And If I get a Northstar Cadillac, I need an extended service contract or it's gotta be a Cadillac certified used vehicle. My main concern with that is "will Cadillac certify a vehicle that's 4-5 years old now?" And "can I get an extended service contract from a dealer on a car that's 4-5 years old minimum?"

The only newer Lincoln I like is the Mark VIII, and those are getting up there in years/mileage now.

I've always wanted a german luxury car, there's just something about that German (over) engineering, brand heritage and the cleaner, more sterile luxury they always seem to have. I just don't know if I'm ready for the repair and maintance costs.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jesda, you've had one of the older 5 Series (E??), so you've got prior experience with BMW. Now you told me that the BMW's made in that era (late '80s, early '90s) were much simpler to own and much more "BMW pure" to drive than the newer ones. By "newer" do you mean the Bangle BMW's or the ones that came right before it? I've heard lots of great feedback about the E46, E39 and E38, so I'd assume those are great cars to own and drive.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but is it a lot more than Cadillac's repair and maintenance costs?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nikasil....1995-96 7 Series only? Jaguar had a problem with those too right?

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Very Very Very expensive... been there and done that with my 944 S2, Passat, and 560 SEL. I won't own another high end German car till I make very good money.

For example... to fix the leaky leveling suspension in my 560 SEL cost more than my Caprice wagon :eek:

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Yeah, but is it a lot more than Cadillac's repair and maintenance costs?
Honestly I don't know. I've never had to get work done on a Caddy yet so I have no idea as to how much work costs for Caddy's. As for German any damn thing you will be paying a decent amount more then you would for a domestic and German products are notorious (especially VW's) for shitty wiring and wiring problems

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Maintenance costs depend on the brand and model. Some are dirt cheap, some are nightmarishly pricey.

And the models he mentioned are not cheap...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Do the dealer/manufacturer recommended maintenance costs increase depending on what type of vehicle you own? Like A4 v. A6 v. A8? Obviously the flagship models will be the most expensive models to own in the long run, because they've got more things on them that could possibly go bad and need repair.

I like Audis (and to a lesser extent, VW's), but I'd probably steer clear of them due to all the electrical/wiring problems that I've heard/read they have.

Why would your parents tell you its time for a new car?

They don't like owning/driving older cars.

As far as I can remember, my parents have owned newer cars, especially my mom. When I was born (1987), my mom had an '83 Oldsmobile Firenza that she bought new, and my dad had a '66 Chevelle he bought in 1974, and he owned that up until 1991, but my dad used to have a love for fun/fast cars. Not anymore. After that, they bought an '89 Taurus LX in 1991 or '92 and that, along with the Firenza, got hit and totaled in the summer of '94, and then my dad got an '86 Chevy Celebrity and my mom got a 1991 Mazda 626, then the Celebrity was sold in March of '98 when they bought a '97 Lumina. Come summer of '05, the Mazda was hit head on and that was totaled, literally two weeks after my mom ordered her brand new '05 Highlander, then my dad took her Lumina, and he's still got that, but he wants to get either a Magnum R/T or Mazda 6 V6 next year possibly.

So I know it's quite different from your parents, but yeah, that's my family. Their beliefs regarding cars aren't the same as mine, and it kinda sucks, but I make do with it. You've got the cool parents in regards to what you can and can't drive, and how many cars you can own at one time.

On a related note: I wonder if it'd be cheaper to own (and that's taking into consideration gas, repair costs, maintenance costs and insurance) a '70s landyacht or a high end European luxury sedan. Aside from the initial purchase costs, my thoughts are the landyacht would be cheaper to own in the long run, even though they're such pigs. And the landyacht would be MUCH cheaper to get into, unless I was to find a super low mileage showroom condition car, and I wouldn't want that so much.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM KRAUT MOBILES.

I have driven every single used Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Volkswagen from the '90s. They are dog shit. Every last one of them. This is coming from someone who loves imports too. German cars are just plain garbage. BMW's and VW's being the worst. Mercedes next and Audis were decent at best. They do not age well at all. And repairs will be LOL. I dont know what it is. But i would not bullshit you. I HATED driving them, hold for an '05 SL500 and '06 550i. DO NOT buy ANY German car from the 80's or 90's. You will regret it.

Only other cars that gave us as much shit as German cars were Chrysler products.

Only one i would ever consider would be a mid-'90's S500 or S600, but that would be shot down by the thought of repairing it.

Friend to friend: Stay away.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
German cars are just plain garbage.
Man oh man... are you making this stuff up?? You havent stepped into a S class or 7 series... let alone sniffed the leather on a older benz. I have been around the car scene since I was a toddler, going to car auctions all over the east coast and midwest with my Father since I was 9 years old and I can honestly say German cars are built very well.. might not be the most reliable, but there is a reason they make some of the top vehicles out there. I would love to own a E30 M3 or a E36 '95 OBDI M3... but I just do not have the funds to keep a car like that going at the moment, especially because I would AutoX/Road Race it every weekend.....

To call all German cars garbage is just ignorance, but to each his own.

You have to have the $$ to play with the big boys, so with the expensive cars come expensive repairs.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think most jap cars are garbage, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Man oh man... are you making this stuff up?? You havent stepped into a S class or 7 series... let alone sniffed the leather on a older benz. I have been around the car scene since I was a toddler, going to car auctions all over the east coast and midwest with my Father since I was 9 years old and I can honestly say German cars are built very well.. might not be the most reliable, but there is a reason they make some of the top vehicles out there. I would love to own a E30 M3 or a E36 '95 OBDI M3... but I just do not have the funds to keep a car like that going at the moment, especially because I would AutoX/Road Race it every weekend.....

To call all German cars garbage is just ignorance, but to each his own.

You have to have the $$ to play with the big boys, so with the expensive cars come expensive repairs.
I have driven many S Class Mercedes and 7 Series BMW's. The leather in all German cars smells like rotting ass. Its disgusting. And the cars were crap. Plain and simple. Garbage. Solid? Yes. thats it. I know my cars and have been raised around them my whole life, and spent a quite a bit of time working at an auction, driving 50+ different cars a day. Sometimes getting a few on the highway. I know what im talking about. I have experienced these cars first hand.

Its not ignorance if its what ive personally experienced. Its ignorance if i have never driven said cars and was running my mouth about something i knew nothing about. You just disagree. Thats fine.

German cars are still garbage in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
LOL...

Anyway, BMWs from the 90s are generally very trouble free. The automatics are even built by GM Europe. Just avoid nikasil blocks and enjoy the ride (and the handling!!!!). I dont know what your budget is, but I'd go for a W124 MB. You can get them with a V8, but the SOHC 3.0 and 3.2 are perfectly sufficient. My dad has a gorgeous 95, and its needed some diff bushings replaced. Nothing too serious.

I sold my E34 with 230k in excellent running condition, made a nice profit.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts