Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
20 Posts
Im driving a 2015 CTS loaner right now, its HUGE compared to my 2013 ATS, feels like a tank, and the 8 spd auto imo makes it feel much slower.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
The 8 speed helps with gas mileage but I'm not too sure the extra shift point add to the driving experience any.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
I had a 2008 CTS and I loved the size/form factor. When the next generation CTS was announced I had planned to replace my 2008 with the 3.6 twin turbo but the new size/style was disappointing to me and the short term use of the 8 speed Aisin transmission was a deal killer. I am glad I gave the ATS a try because I really like mine.

The GM developed and produced 8L90 and lower torque variant 8L45 will be used in Cadillac division in the coming model year and they should be a big improvement over what was experienced in that loaner CTS, it is a very impressive transmission capable of sub 100 millisecond shift speed and it also feels smooth. I test drove a Corvette with an 8L90 and plan to soon order a C7 Z06 equipped with it. Although no transmission is perfect it has converted a number of loyal manual drivers to automatic.

ON Edit, here is a link to a youtube video posted by a new Corvette owner that provides a demonstration of how fast the new GM 8 speed auto shifts at WOT. Obviously the Z06 is a much more powerful car (650HP) but beyond that it shows what their new generation of automatics can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWCAatycjPk

The youtube video came from the built-in PDR (performance data recorder) which provides HD video along with information overlay and a saved data stream of vehicle parameters which can be analyzed with Cosworth toolbox is another cool Corvette option which is likely to spread across some of the other GM vehicles soon.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,245 Posts
The gap between the 283" ATS and the 295.5" CTS is one of
the reasons for slow sales, ATS too small for a lot of people
and CTS too large/expensive for many of the same people.

If CTS was still 290-291" and a couple thousand lower, it
would be very hot selling. Cadillac would have been a lot
better off with sales if they were coming out with a BTS
(between or best of both ATS/CTS) at about 290", instead
of a sure to be slow selling CT6 and
the cool but also slow selling V versions.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
The gap between the 283" ATS and the 295.5" CTS is one of
the reasons for slow sales, ATS too small for a lot of people
and CTS too large/expensive for many of the same people.

If CTS was still 290-291" and a couple thousand lower, it
would be very hot selling. Cadillac would have been a lot
better off with sales if they were coming out with a BTS
(between or best of both ATS/CTS) at about 290", instead
of a sure to be slow selling CT6 and
the cool but also slow selling V versions.
I am SO glad they didn't whether it was a mistake for Cadillac or not. The ATS is pure Alpha. The CTS (and Camaro) are Alpha+ and the difference in handling between ATS and CTS is significant. Maybe that doesn't mater to most but as I said, I'm glad Cadillac built the car the way I would have if I didn't care one bit about sales. And be careful Monday morning quarterbacking. That's what got us the perfect sized ATS: the fact that Cadillac research determined that the original CTS was a tweener and so undesirable to people going in with a 3 or 5 series outlook on life.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
Hoosier Daddy said:
I am SO glad they didn't whether it was a mistake for Cadillac or not. The ATS is pure Alpha. The CTS (and Camaro) are Alpha+ and the difference in handling between ATS and CTS is significant. Maybe that doesn't mater to most but as I said, I'm glad Cadillac built the car the way I would have if I didn't care one bit about sales. And be careful Monday morning quarterbacking. That's what got us the perfect sized ATS: the fact that Cadillac research determined that the original CTS was a tweener and so undesirable to people going in with a 3 or 5 series outlook on life.
All publications that I've read recently state the new Camaro is on the Alpha platform and not the Alpha+. Where have you seen that it's on the latter?

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
All publications that I've read recently state the new Camaro is on the Alpha platform and not the Alpha+. Where have you seen that it's on the latter?
Several publications have said Alpha plus and at different points in time. And none I have seen who have said Alpha went on to clarify that they were referring to the Alpha chassis and not the Alpha family. Even Cadillac reps have at times said the CTS is on the Alpha chassis, sometimes in the same sentence as mentioning the ATS. So Alpha plus means Alpha plus, but Alpha alone can mean the original or some stretched offshoot.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
Several publications have said Alpha plus and at different points in time. And none I have seen who have said Alpha went on to clarify that they were referring to the Alpha chassis and not the Alpha family. Even Cadillac reps have at times said the CTS is on the Alpha chassis, sometimes in the same sentence as mentioning the ATS. So Alpha plus means Alpha plus, but Alpha alone can mean the original or some stretched offshoot.
Here is an article from Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a15583/2016-chevrolet-camaro-first-drive/. In in they clearly state the new Camaro shares the same platform with the ATS. "So the new Camaro, the 2016, starts fresh with the lithe Alpha platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS. In V6 models, the Camaro loses as much as 300 pounds (it's more like 200 for the V8s), while gaining power and chassis finesse." Now, my 2010 SS has a curb weight of 3860lbs and my CTS VSport is just under 4000lbs. If the new SS drops 200lbs, it'll be in the 3600lb range which leads me to believe it's on the Alpha and not Alpha+. Also, I read where the interior dimensions of the new Camaro, especially the rear, are smaller than the current model. Again, that spells Alpha and not Alpha+.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Here is an article from Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a15583/2016-chevrolet-camaro-first-drive/. In in they clearly state the new Camaro shares the same platform with the ATS. "So the new Camaro, the 2016, starts fresh with the lithe Alpha platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS. In V6 models, the Camaro loses as much as 300 pounds (it's more like 200 for the V8s), while gaining power and chassis finesse." Now, my 2010 SS has a curb weight of 3860lbs and my CTS VSport is just under 4000lbs. If the new SS drops 200lbs, it'll be in the 3600lb range which leads me to believe it's on the Alpha and not Alpha+. Also, I read where the interior dimensions of the new Camaro, especially the rear, are smaller than the current model. Again, that spells Alpha and not Alpha+.
Like I said others have stated the Camaro is on the Alpha Plus. And its common for people to refer to the Alpha Plus as just Alpha. So I will still have to think its on the plus. I think its more likely that PM left out the plus like others did than the sources that said it was a plus made that part up. As to the size, the current Camaro is a huge car, much bigger than the current and previous Mustang. And I have one of those Mustangs and even it is larger than the ATS.

We will see. I hope its an Alpha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts