Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe/Auto/White/Sunroof/PDR
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a clue why they put these paddle shifters where they did, behind the fat part of the steering wheel?

Basically the same as the CTS-V, but not mounted flush in the wheel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either way, I don't understand why they put them back there, again.

They're pretty much useless for the track.
I'll be buying one of these as soon as it can be ordered.
I have 74K on my V and have never enjoyed a car more than this one, but even with the extended warranty I bought, that'll be over soon and I feel it's time to move on or drive it into the ground. I decided to move and get something for it while I still can.
The paddle shifters certainly aren't a deal breaker for me as I only hit the track about once or twice a year.
Not even a weekend warrior :)
I've had this one to the track 4 times and one SCCA autocross session.

I just don't understand.
There's no way you can hang on to the wheel at 130 mph and heading into a 90 degree corner and use the paddle shifters on the V.
At least I don't feel at all secure as your grip is split in half by the position of the shifters behind and underneath the wheel.
I feel they should be accessible from the front and accessible from a 10 and 2 position.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
the polished Magnesium paddles are real paddle shifters for the automatic and are accessible from the 10/2 down to the 8/4 positions

the small black plastic paddles are the activation switched for the rev matching on the Manual transmission cars, they are not meant to used frequently like shifters, but rather infrequently like setting up your car or changing car modes

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you're right, but don't see how they're accessible by thumb from 10 and 2 or 8 and 4.

From what I've learned the Manumatic Shift gate is eliminated with this 8L90 transmission. Since this transmission is used by Corvette, as well, I called a dealership to confirm that the paddles are the only thing available in "manual" mode.
I don't ever use the automatic feature for anything except warming the car up. After that, I shift and downshift every gear... every time. I'll use the paddles sometimes around town, but not often.
I'm sorry the manual shift gate from the console has been eliminated, as that's part of the enjoyment of the car for me.
I thought about just getting a manual transmission, but I've had enough of them in my lifetime, and being retired and in CA for the winters, the thought of being stuck in traffic and stop, go, stop, go just doesn't make any sense for me.
The automatic, even the 6 speed is faster/quicker than the manual, anyway. You just can't shift as fast as an automatic, anymore. Back in the 60's and 70's, they were "slush boxes," but not anymore.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,101 Posts
Wireboltman said:
I hope you're right, but don't see how they're accessible by thumb from 10 and 2 or 8 and 4. From what I've learned the Manumatic Shift gate is eliminated with this 8L90 transmission. Since this transmission is used by Corvette, as well, I called a dealership to confirm that the paddles are the only thing available in "manual" mode. I don't ever use the automatic feature for anything except warming the car up. After that, I shift and downshift every gear... every time. I'll use the paddles sometimes around town, but not often. I'm sorry the manual shift gate from the console has been eliminated, as that's part of the enjoyment of the car for me. I thought about just getting a manual transmission, but I've had enough of them in my lifetime, and being retired and in CA for the winters, the thought of being stuck in traffic and stop, go, stop, go just doesn't make any sense for me. The automatic, even the 6 speed is faster/quicker than the manual, anyway. You just can't shift as fast as an automatic, anymore. Back in the 60's and 70's, they were "slush boxes," but not anymore.
My CTS VSport Premium had only paddle shifters. I miss a manual shift gate. I'd probably use it more often.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
The paddle shifters on my VSport work great, although I've only used them in the 20-60 mph range. I keep my index and thumb on the steering wheel, and shift with my middle and ring fingers.

Also, with the manumatic shifter you have to take your right hand off the steering wheel to shift. Doesn't seem as good as always keeping both hands on the wheel!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Trust me... at 120-130 mph bearing down hard on a 90 degree corner, you WILL NOT feel secure with your index and thumb alone on the steering wheel :)
Especially, when you might be sliding out to the apron coming out of the corner.
Thumb and index finger just don't work for me. I need to have a firm grip on the wheel with both hands to be ready for whatever might happen as best I can.
I do use the paddles occasionally around town, however.

Generally, on the 2 different tracks I've raced this car on, the only gears that are used are 3rd and 4th.
3rd redlines about 95 mph and 4th, about 130 mph.
The straightaways aren't long enough go any faster. Not for me, anyway.
I've hit 5th a few times, but its very, very brief and then you're getting ready for the next corner.
Actually, you're always getting ready for the next corner.
I've been to this track 3 times with this car and many more times with another car.

I might add I put a B&B exhaust on here as soon I bought it and a KPE air intake.
I had it dynoed 3 winters ago at 501.44 hp to the back wheels with the race tune shop figuring around 600 hp at the crank.
She goes :)
Just put the 5th set of back tires on a month ago.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

Track Map:

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/about-track-maps.html

I can reach over and pop it into 4th or back down into 3rd in a heartbeat. It's not likely my hand is off the steering wheel for even a second, total time.
Leaving it in auto, even sport mode, isn't close to what you can get out of this car by shifting it yourself.

Let me be clear, this is not wheel to wheel racing I'm talking about.
Strictly, an "instructional" type outing :)
I run in an intermediate group which is fast enough, crazy enough for me.
I'm certainly not a race car driver and I just get it out of my system once or twice a year, tops.
In each group there may be 5-6 cars on the track at one time with only a couple dedicated straight sections of the track in which to pass someone.
I still have to leave with the shiny up, as it's the only vehicle I own.
It's still and eyes wide, big time adrenalin rush, without question, however :)

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Don't you shift before the turn? I always do at Gingerman, or any other track for that matter. Then I can modulate the throttle in the turn, hit it, then upshift.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, true enough, but I like a firm 10 and 2 grip taking the line into the corner and then unwinding the wheel coming out of it.
At Gingerman, I can get up to about 125 coming into corner 11 and many times will be sliding a bit out to the apron as happens on 3 and 6, as well.
4 can be straightened out and I hit about 110 or so heading into 5 and 6. And so on...
I just don't feel as though I have enough of a grip on the wheel when it's split up by the "yoke" of where the paddles are.
At 8 and 4, there's a much better purchase on the wheel to use the paddles, but I like the 10 and 2 position much, much better.
Each to their own, I guess.
I don't do enough racing for it to be that big of a deal.
I will, however, miss the manual gate much, much more for everyday driving and maybe spanking this car or that one off the line as the situation might arise from time to time
:)

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
So, you're that picky about your grip on the wheel between 8/4, 9/3, and 10/2, but one hand on the wheel and one down on the shifter is ok?

You lost me in there somewhere ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You must have missed something, somewhere.
As I said...
My right hand is off the steering wheel for less than a second when shifting to 4th or downshifting back to 3rd.
Those are the only two gears basically needed for the 2 tracks I've been on with this car.
Gingerman and Willow Springs
I did hit 5th a couple times at Willow Springs on the front straight depending how I set myself up for it.

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=26

9 and 3?
Where was 9 and 3 ever mentioned?
You can't hang on to this wheel at 9 and 3 and have any kind of grip on it at all.
Completely useless.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
That was my point - you said 9 and 3 is "useless" because of the spokes, but it's OK to remove a hand "for less than a second" (which, you must realize is actually quite a bit longer than that to effect a shift in a MT car).

At 100+ MPH, one second is a long time for someone so worried about sufficient grip on the wheel that "9 and 3 is useless"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're not understanding.
You cannot have a good grip on the wheel at 10 and 2 and still have access to the paddles with the CTS-V. Period.
The shift time of less than a second pales as far as the safety aspect of having a far inferior (useless) grip on the wheel (at 9 and 3) to encounter any sliding or whatever else might happen.
As I also said, 8 and 4 provides a much better grip on the wheel and access to the paddles, but I greatly prefer 10 and 2 for being able to address any kind of sliding or trouble.
I've driven on ice and snow in the UP of MI my whole life and have down a lot of off roading with Jeeps sashaying through the woods in all seasons and 10 and 2 is what I feel the most comfortable and the safest with.

Drivers have been shifting through gears on race tracks for 100 + years :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
You can't hang on to this wheel at 9 and 3 and have any kind of grip on it at all.
Completely useless.
Is this unique to CTS-V wheel or in general?

I ask because for several instructions I have been to, all said to have both thumbs on top of 9 and 3. So not exactly 9 and 3 but certainly not 10 and 2.

Not disputing your assessment, may be I will try 10 and 2 next time to compare grip.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That I don't know.
This is the only car I've ever had that has them, so I'm certainly no authority on it.
Strictly my personal preference and 46 yrs of driving :)

You're right about 9 and 3 as I've heard they're suggesting that, now, with much of the reason being because of the deployment of the airbag, I believe.
The instruction I took at Gingerman running in the novice group back then (2004) was 10 and 2, which was what I was already doing for 35 years before that slipping and sliding around on ice and snow and in the woods on ice and mud :)
If the "spoke" on the CTS-V wheel wasn't so fat, one might be able to get a better grip on it, but I can't the way it is, now, and I have fairly big hands.

Yes, please do try it and see what you think.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
So, your argument is that one hand at 10 (and the other on the shifter) is a better grip than two hands at 9 and 3? :rolleyes:

That said, the levers on my Vsport (and assuming ATS-V production units will be similar) are long enough that any of the hand positions can reach them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"So, your argument is that one hand at 10 (and the other on the shifter) is a better grip than two hands at 9 and 3?"

No...
That's not what I said at all.

I'm not going to explain this again.
Go back and read what I wrote... twice.

It's getting a little ridiculous about now.
Read, absorb...comprehend. :)

Can't comment one or the other on your car.
Mine is a 2011 Coupe and the paddles are virtually useless where they are.
Recessed flush in the back of the steering wheel "yoke" at 9 and 3.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts