Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V (Blk, 6spd, Recaros), 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a 1st gen CTS-V for 5 years and been in a 335i M Sport for a few years waiting on this car to be released.... obviously I've read all the news and articles that have been published to date but seeing a car on paper and in person are totally different things. That being said, here's my feedback on seeing the sedan in person for the first time earlier today. Keep in mind this is totally visually related as driving impressions will obviously have to wait:

- styling is mostly excellent... I dig the aggressive front end and hood
- overall size is perfect... quite wide but proper length for a track ready sport sedan (random aside... the CTS-V is realllllly long... nothing like gen1 cts-v.. more like 7series).. trunk may be a touch small for golf clubs but I can deal with that
- not slathered in crappy chrome (e.g. New C class)
- recaros and suede insert in seats
- wheels and stock PSS tires in proper sizes (19s in rear w more concave spokes would have been perfect)
- quad center exhaust... preferred this to the cts-v pipes which were too far spread apart
- fender bulges on front axle (would have preferred a bit more in rear)
- carbon fiber, leather trim, and alcantara used on interior parts

Dislikes:
- The instrument panel!!! I mean WTF... it looks like it came out of a Buick, not a track ready, epically rare and unique sport sedan. Cadillac for the love of happy enthusiast customers and all things holy, make the configurable gauge cluster in the CTS-V available in the ATS-V... even if it's a 2k option...
- The tall spoiler.... I'm 30 years old and fairly open minded on styling but that ridiculous spoiler is tacky as all hell... make it half as protruding and maybe it'll blend with the rest of the car
- rear wheel gap... maybe the car on the show floor still had the shipping pucks in it or something but there was 3-4 fingers of gap there... front looked fine... if they're trying to reinvent BMW since BMW doesn't want that business anymore, make the stock stance of your performance cars legit! Think E46 M3 or even e92 three series... they were all 1-2 fingers tops..
- steering wheel... nothing sexy or sporty about it... the wheel in my M Sport BMW is much better... toss in something with a flat bottom and make it more streamlined with out all the bulkiness. See new c450 wheel for ideas...

Couldn't sit in it but I did like what I saw overall. I can definitely see a manual black on black sedan in my future, I just hope some of these items get addressed so they make an otherwise great car an instant classic cause I'm sure the driving elements will surprise a lot of folks... lady at the show said 3.7 and high 11s which will compete quite nicely, especially before a quick tune to up the boost ! TT's FTW !!

·
Registered
None
255 Posts
I'm going to the DC Show today... Can't wait to see BOTH in person. You may want to wait until the '17 comes out. Little V should have full CUE then.

·
Registered
None
255 Posts
18 inch wheels yes. Didn't ask about tire width but I'm certain it's a staggered fitment. Same tri-compound as the PSSs on the V3. The carbon (track) package is GORGEOUS and completes the car. I would think the ATS-V would need the same front camera on the front end that the V3 has.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, appears the ATS-V gets front sensors so you don't scrape up the front clip, but it's just distance sensors not the actual cameras like the V3. As for tires, you are correct they are staggered 255/35 and 275/35 tri-compound PSS's...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree with you 100% on the gauge cluster. Considering the flack it received after the ATS was introduced, I'm shocked they didn't really touch it for the V. That, plus a just announced price a little higher than I was hoping (I was really rooting for it to top out in the low 60's, but it seems more likely now with desirable options to top out in the low 70's) means this will probably move into the "wait and see" mode for me...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, agreed on price.. 61.5 base is decent but will probably take 68+ for the options most of us would want out of the gates... with times of 3.8 and 12.2 (from Tony Roma interview) it's certainly a performer... but it's no where near the total package that the AMG C63 provides for similar money (expecting 66k base) and the Benz has an amazing interior, a bi-turbo V8, adjustable exhaust, etc.... Cadillac has a good starting point it seems, but they need to spend more time on the details, especially the interior.
My guess is these will sit on lots for the first year and we'll be able to pick them up well under invoice... not what cadillac wanted obviously but they'll learn their lesson, either take the time necessary to develop and produce a complete package or pay the price (in the form of lost profit on sales)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Owned a 1st gen CTS-V for 5 years and been in a 335i M Sport for a few years waiting on this car to be released.... obviously I've read all the news and articles that have been published to date but seeing a car on paper and in person are totally different things. That being said, here's my feedback on seeing the sedan in person for the first time earlier today. Keep in mind this is totally visually related as driving impressions will obviously have to wait:

- rear wheel gap... maybe the car on the show floor still had the shipping pucks in it or something but there was 3-4 fingers of gap there... front looked fine... if they're trying to reinvent BMW since BMW doesn't want that business anymore, make the stock stance of your performance cars legit! Think E46 M3 or even e92 three series... they were all 1-2 fingers tops..
The new ATS-V has a tight wheel gap, about two fingers. I wasn't at the Washington DC auto show but have spent time with 3 ATS-V's so far. My assumption is that the rearend was lifted to spin the rear wheels (to get the center caps and air nozzles lined up) causing the suspension to extend. When you set the car down and don't relax the suspension by moving the car it stays extended. If you don't roll the car back and forth you end up with a 3-4 finger - fist gap) Rest assured it's a nice tight gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts