Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2018 ATS. Paid close to 40k for it last July so we’ve only had it a little over a year. We went to trade it in this weekend and the dealership offered me 14k for it and literally laughed when they told me I shouldn’t have bought a car that was going to be discontinued. Funny thing is I don’t remember that being a sales point. Had they told me this car would depreciate 70% in a year I’m sure I wouldn’t have bought it.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,464 Posts
Yup... same thing for me in 2017 when I bailed out of my 2013 ATS. You have 3 choices:
1; Keep it and drive the wheels off it and hope it doesn't $/$$$ you to death.
2. Sell it outright and hope you get more than 14 large for it.
3. Trade it and take a bath on it.

Although it was a fun car and my dealer was great I saw the handwriting on the wall. Too many issues, $$$ out of warranty repairs and really bad depreciation. I will probably never buy another Cadillac.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Heh, heh. My 2002 was out the dealer door at just over $58,000 in June of 2002. My Cadillac friend found it as a trade in during the summer of 2005 - 3 years later, so I bought it - for $19,500 out the door. 67% less than sticker in 3 years, all receipts and maintenance documented, 17,000 miles.

We bought the Explorer at 1.5 years old and paid about 60% of sticker with 8500 miles.

BUT - those were dealership sales - so the pricing was above the private sale figures for either car.

·
Registered
2011SRX,2015ATS RWD base 2.0
519 Posts
In recent years ATS has been rated near the bottom of most depreciation polls and that was before GM cancelled production same goes for its overpriced cousin the CTS also discontinued, the majority of "luxury" vehicles are leased, owning opens buyers up to $$$$ maintenance/repairs at luxury dealerships gearing rates to their top of the line series vehicles.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
742 Posts
Jbrady524, 4 months ago I traded in my 2013 base ATS, 2.5 ltr, no CUE with 45,000 miles to Santa Monica Mercedes-Benz and got $9,500. You can do better. CarMax will give you a legitimate trade in price that you can use as a reliable reference.

I always bought new but starting with my ATS I now buy just out of lease. The 2016 C300 Luxury I traded the ATS for had 29k, was 2 1/2 years old, is absolutely pristine with a 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for $25,000. It stickered for $57,950 just two and a half years before I bought it.

Luxury cars, whether low, mid or high end depreciate rapidly in their first 3 years.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hey guy's my 7 year old 2010 5.7 Hemi Dodge Challenger R/T got $5,000 more than my 3 year old ATS. That's got to tell you something.

·
Registered
'17 ATS Premium 3.6DI AWD
194 Posts
KBB gave me $24K on my 2017 luxury premium sedan with 25k miles on it. So that guy is blowing hot air. I paid $35k for it 2 years ago certified used with 324 miles on it lol.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
KBB gave me $24K on my 2017 luxury premium sedan with 25k miles on it. So that guy is blowing hot air. I paid $35k for it 2 years ago certified used with 324 miles on it lol.
Jeff
Don't hold your breath waiting for a $24k buyer. Dealers don't follow KBB very close.

·
Registered
2013 ATS v6
553 Posts
We have a 2018 ATS. Paid close to 40k for it last July so we’ve only had it a little over a year. We went to trade it in this weekend and the dealership offered me 14k for it and literally laughed when they told me I shouldn’t have bought a car that was going to be discontinued. Funny thing is I don’t remember that being a sales point. Had they told me this car would depreciate 70% in a year I’m sure I wouldn’t have bought it.
I bought my used and still lost my @. If I do the math I paid over $2 per mile to own the car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
502 Posts
Could be that the dealer is trying to make his margin on the trade, if the price on what you're looking at is already trimmed close to cost. Or if you haven't settled on the new car yet, they're hedging their bets. Either way, if you continue dealing with this dealer, they'll probably 'show' you more than $14K for your trade on paper. Shame on them for the condescending comment that you shouldn't have bought a model on the verge of being discontinued. Sure, it's a factor, but there's no need to imply that your ignorance is to blame for an unexpectedly low trade value. If they want to prove their valuation, they should stick to showing you comparables in the marketplace, or recent auction prices. :cautious: Shop around, if you can!

To be honest, this is why new 'luxury' cars/vehicles are usually leased instead of purchased. If you don't like the car or resale value after 1/2/3/4 years, you walk away. Very, very, very few people are in a position to switch out of a vehicle that they purchased less than 2 years ago, but because they exist, we have the prevailing rule of thumb that 'new cars lose, like, half their value when you drive off the lot!' For most people, that observation isn't relevant. It's a rotten situation to be in, but the good news is that you're probably past the steepest part of the depreciation curve for late-model luxury brands. If you decide to ride it out a few years longer, the trade value won't continue to drop at the same rate. Hopefully your decision is not being forced by factors beyond your control!

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,514 Posts
A 2018 is considered 2 years old now. I think if you look at trade in value guides, your car should be
worth closer to $18-20k. If you were at a Cadillac dealer, they may have had too many ATS and didn't
want your car. The dealer may have wanted to make a killing on reselling your car.

Trade values are not good on lux cars, but I don't think it's that bad. I don't think discontinued is much
of a reason, since CT4 is the replacement.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,059 Posts
On top of all the reasons given above for the low offer for your '18 is that "cars" just aren't popular ... they're not selling well.

Bought my ATS just about three months ago, and I'm planning on keeping it for many years to come. That's the best way to minimize the total cost of ownership: keep it nice and drive it into the ground.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,794 Posts
I bought my 2013 ATS in 8/1/16 with 28K miles, performance model 2.0T; no options but paint. List was $38,155. it was a lease car. I paid $19,900. put new tires on it 2 months later.
I traded it on 4/21/17 at 41,000 miles and got $14,000. for it.

and bought a 2011 CTS Coupe Performance loaded with all options had a list of $57,800. I paid for $18,000 with 52,700 miles.
did not have to pay any sales taxes and for $4,000 had a better car. at a loan of 2.5% same as the ATS from my credit union.
and I love the coupe.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux AWD Black Raven
49 Posts
Seems low, even with the drastic ATS depreciation. I bought a 2013 off a three year lease return in 2016 and paid about half of list. It still had about a year of warranty on it which I utilized to fix anything I could think of and convince the dealer. Since then it has been clear sailing, no problems (touch wood) and I just turned 103,000 km (about 64,000 miles). It has been a great car and I plan to keep driving it as long as the costs stay low.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
741 Posts
All luxury sport sedans depreciate, it's just the nature of the market segment because they are so tech focused and tech evolves so quickly therefor the cars that showcase it become obsolete quickly. So luxury sport sedans become cheaper faster. The same thing happens with a 3-Series and A4, you can buy one that is a couple years old for much cheaper than they came new. Also if you were going to turn around and sell it so fast, you probably should have leased. Not trying to be mean or anything, just some things to think about for next time. :)

I bought my Certified PreOwned 2014 Performance 2.0T 6spd manual ATS w/26k miles for $23k in mid-2017. It's worth about $8k less now according to NADA but I don't really care as I plan to keep it forever. They made so many ATS's, parts are everywhere and aren't that expensive. Warranty ends in 7 months but I've gotten anything I really wanted fixed taken care of and it's been a great car, so I'm not worried. Love the car and going to keep it forever. But I only ever buy cars CPO or used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer is just looking to tear your head off with the hold, but you did over pay on the car two years ago. Like said by others take the car over to a CarMax and get them to give you a number. TBH I had friends do this when we had our new car dealerships in the past.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts