Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum as well as new ATS owner.

I combed the archives and found one post where another member experienced a random chiming in their ATS and it ended up being their seat belt (had their phone on the seat).

I am also hearing a chiming in my 2014 ATS and it is also the seat belt chime. The only problem is there isn't anything in the seat when it goes off. The seat belt notice flashes and the passenger airbag switches from off to on. It will do this every 5-10 minutes on some days, then nothing for a few days/week or so. Sometime I have my laptop bag on the seat and nothing happens, which makes me think the sensor is faulty.

Already taken it to the dealership twice for this and they can't get the problem to happen (go figure).

Just wanting to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what did you do to resolve so I can tell the dealership.

Thanks!

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
I had the same issue a few times caused by my messenger bag going to work - sometimes it'd trigger the alarm and sometimes not. The airbag should trigger over a certain weight (but I don't know what that is, as its unique to every seat/vehicle/manufacturer) but if you can find a 10-15lb bag or something that triggers it to demand the airbag on, I'd use that to show the dealer. Usually they only trigger above like 60lb in the seat, give or take.

Option B is pull over, pull out the cell phone, and record video of it happening. I do that to my dealer with every issue as proof something is happening intermittently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 13 does this sometimes while I'm driving. For a temporary solution, (When you come to a stop) firmly press down on the seat a few times.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
207 Posts
I have a 2014 Luxury and this happens, I just now keep the phone in the cup holder.

·
Registered
2014 ATS4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the dealer this last time and they weren't able to reproduce the issue, but the did decide to just recalibrate the passenger seat.

It fixed the issue. I think it was just set to be way too light on weight, because now I can put my laptop bag and phone in the seat and it won't chime.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was a service bulletin issued about this, my dealer gave it to me, but I don't remember the number.

It stated that capacitive touch screen devices -- such as an iPad, phone, etc. would cause the occupant classification sensor to think it was a person in the seat. Remedy was not to put those types of devices on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
Performance AWD T
65 Posts
There was a service bulletin issued about this, my dealer gave it to me, but I don't remember the number.

It stated that capacitive touch screen devices -- such as an iPad, phone, etc. would cause the occupant classification sensor to think it was a person in the seat. Remedy was not to put those types of devices on the passenger seat.
Interesting, I would be interested in that Bulletin,
i have the same problem , and im not proud of saying it took me a year to find out what the sound was for (untill i found out that blinking Airbag sign)

And yes my Galaxy S5 makes it beep, kinda annoying when you dont expect and youre doing a long trip

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
All the bulletin states is don't put stuff like that on the seat.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
I had those chimes last month, after a snow storm, where when I opened door and snow fell on seat. Getting it wet. I had my hat on it and the chimes went off. I had to keep moving the hat around. Maybe moisture causes a false reading?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
240 Posts
I've been getting random chimes (like the ones you get for low fuel or other dash warnings)... nothing on the seat. At first I thought I was crazy, but my Fiance heard it chime the other day randomly, just once, with no warning indicators of any kind. Strange as heck.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
There is a fix. You dealer needs to recalibrate your passenger seat so it won't be so sensitive. Sometimes it registers after a passenger has sat in the seat, and there is a residual effect from the weight pressure later on.

·
Registered
none
267 Posts
On the 2017s it is listed in the manual as being caused by phones/iPads/etc placed on the passenger seat and powered on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts