Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
ATS
1 Posts
I am driving ATS 2013 since April. I stopped to gas up and when started the car back had absolutely no power steering. I left it overnight and next morning when started the car, the steering was back on. I took it to a dealer and they changed the power steering module. I think they couldn't find a problem so they just changed the module to be on the safe side, but this problem can be a costly one if it happens at the wrong time.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
4,561 Posts
Not sure if this in a new thread or not but, it looks like there is a firmware updated to the power steering unit to fix this now:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1558
My car loss PS this morning and that tech bulletin describes the circumstance perfectly.

I shut the car off and almost immediately turned it back on, No PS.

the problem only corrected itself after I powered down and restarted

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,723 Posts
So basically driver error, namely buying an ATS and restarting without a proper delay ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
yes of course, stupid of me to think I could turn it on and off as I wish!
Maybe the computers have unionized and the delay is covered in the break time clause of their contract.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
236 Posts
M5eater said:
My car loss PS this morning and that tech bulletin describes the circumstance perfectly.

I shut the car off and almost immediately turned it back on, No PS.

the problem only corrected itself after I powered down and restarted
Sounds Microsoft Windows based to me

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
double goof for me today, in a drive thru and my car sounds like crap like a failing pulley bearing, I didn't hear this until I rolled window down to order, so I do a quick check to see is squeeling engine is me or car behind I shut engine down then back on, and no power steering....... so going in first thing in the morning for both issues

12,857 Posts
double goof for me today, in a drive thru and my car sounds like crap like a failing pulley bearing, I didn't hear this until I rolled window down to order, so I do a quick check to see is squeeling engine is me or car behind I shut engine down then back on, and no power steering....... so going in first thing in the morning for both issues
Hello pissedoffwookiee,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing. I see you are taking your vehicle in for both issues. Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything I can assist with throughout the process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Hello pissedoffwookiee,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing. I see you are taking your vehicle in for both issues. Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything I can assist with throughout the process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care
Thanks Laura, the car is already in service....I posted the video of what my car sounds like that led to my steering failure link below

Squealing ATS led to Power steering failure

12,857 Posts
Thanks Laura, the car is already in service....I posted the video of what my car sounds like that led to my steering failure link below

Squealing ATS led to Power steering failure
You are welcome! Thanks for responding back to me and providing the video to your vehicle issue so I could understand the situation. I am glad your ATS is in for service getting fixed. Let me know how things go after, and don't hesitate to contact us via private message!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
ok car back from service, they reprogrammed the Steering module according the TSB based on the code the car gave for 'steering wheel torque malfunction' but unfortunately the car was whisper quiet today, no noise at all and they tried to get it to make noise all afternoon. so we'll see if that was a one time thing

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
POW, That sounds awful. I sure hope its gone for good.
nope heard it again coming off the freeway on the way to pick up my daughter, that is straight out of service to my commute ..... the weird thing is now my car is messing with me because I pulled over as soon as I could to record it again but it stopped as soon as opened the door..... so I'll keep monitoring it

on the other hand the great news is I think I'm loving the new steering program, I swear steering is firmer in sport mode, it might be in my head but the car feels less wandery (I know fake word but descriptive) this new calibration to the power steering module could be a sweet mod, I just hope I'm not suffering some placebo effect and imagining things, I'll have my wife drive it and tell me what she thinks

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
..... the weird thing is now my car is messing with me because I pulled over as soon as I could to record it again but it stopped as soon as opened the door.....

it might be in my head but the car feels less wandery (I know fake word but descriptive) this new calibration to the power steering module could be a sweet mod, I just hope I'm not suffering some placebo effect and imagining things.
Sounds like an episode of the "Twilight Zone".

-----------

Nothing wrong with it being in your head, perception is everything. Expensive wine taste better because you know its expensive, only humans have the ability to do this so just enjoy don't try to get talked out of the improvement. That is one of the drawbacks to a forum like this. You read all these problems and it lowers your satisfaction of your purchase some even if you are thrilled with the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
on the other hand the great news is I think I'm loving the new steering program, ... it might be in my head but the car feels less wandery (I know fake word but descriptive)
Very possible. Modern cars with EPAS have programming for nibble cancellation and pull drift compensation. They react to steering forces created by the road surfaces, wind and the tires themselves. Newer better algorithms via software updates could do exactly what you describe.

12,857 Posts
nope heard it again coming off the freeway on the way to pick up my daughter, that is straight out of service to my commute ..... the weird thing is now my car is messing with me because I pulled over as soon as I could to record it again but it stopped as soon as opened the door..... so I'll keep monitoring it

on the other hand the great news is I think I'm loving the new steering program, I swear steering is firmer in sport mode, it might be in my head but the car feels less wandery (I know fake word but descriptive) this new calibration to the power steering module could be a sweet mod, I just hope I'm not suffering some placebo effect and imagining things, I'll have my wife drive it and tell me what she thinks
Hello pissedoffwookiee,

Thank you for posting your update. I apologize for the intermittent issue you are experiencing! Glad to see you are loving the new steering program though :)

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 MT
13 Posts
Hi all. Just thought I would write in to share my experiences, 3 weeks ago in a drive through coffee line my power steering failed for about just 10 seconds, with no errors on the DIC.
Then yesterday it failed again while turning left in a high traffic street at 60KM/h just about lost control. the power steering came back right after the turn. Then failed again when pulling into my driveway. I took it in for service immediately and made sure the service manager saw it not working.

The dealer called me at 10 am this morning. Stated that the power steering had a bad ground and he cleaned up the contacts. To me this is terrifying. Why did the contacts need cleaning on a 4 month old car? When it happens again, am I going to die? I asked my dealer these questions and he said that it won't happen again.

I know my wife will never drive this car again. Without an proper explanation, I have little to no faith in cleaning the contacts as a solution.

At least when I am found dead in a terrible wreck this post will exist. I wonder when this car finally kills me can GM be charged with murder?

Seriously though GM you seem pretty nonchalant about a major safety issue!

21 - 40 of 105 Posts