Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my RWD ATS for about 2 weeks now, and have been averaging 19.7 MPG - combination of highway and city. It's a fair bit short of the sticker which indicated 24 MPG combined, with a highway average of 31...!

B

·
0 Posts
Don't trush the DIC display. My car varies by 2% above and below the displayed value. Do your own calculation.

·
Registered
ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red
177 Posts
I've had my RWD ATS for about 2 weeks now, and have been averaging 19.7 MPG - combination of highway and city. It's a fair bit short of the sticker which indicated 24 MPG combined, with a highway average of 31...!
This is in the same range I'm getting as well, very disappointing. I have over 3000 miles now. Very misleading on GMs part.

·
Registered
2016 luxury ATS 2.0 Turbo 6sp auto
93 Posts
I'm getting 30 mpg on the highway, that's going 70 to 80 and 23 city. The DIC showed 27 mpg but I hand calculated it and it was 30 mpg.

Kevin

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T MT
131 Posts
2.0T RWD MT - I'm getting 24.x on each tank (2500 miles on the car). On the freeway going 75, I rarely see the instantaneous break 30 mpg. Usually it is closer to 27.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed by this. I could get 35 on the freeway in my 4 cylinder 6 speed auto Malibu. Personally I think 6th is too short. 75 in 6th is over 2500 rpm. This seems a little high. Those with autos, is your 6th gear that short? I think gas mileage would be greatly improved if you were around 1500 in 6th at 75.

·
Registered
ATS4 Turbo
197 Posts
I get 30-32 on the highway when I'm cruising at ~65. But since I enjoy my ATS so much, my combined MPG is more like 18-19. I think the estimates are fair if you drive it normally. I just can't seem to drive it normally most of the time! :)

12,778 Posts
Muthaiga, thank you for kicking off this thread! I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment many of you are having regarding your mpg, so I'll be sure to document this thread's URL for the appropriate GM teams to view. In the meantime, please private message me or email me at [email protected] if you would like me to follow up further on your individual frustrations.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zr1mom, thanks for your reply - am I correct in that you have an AWD ATS? Mine is RWD, and I'm getting the same mpg as you...

·
Registered
ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red
177 Posts
zr1mom, thanks for your reply - am I correct in that you have an AWD ATS? Mine is RWD, and I'm getting the same mpg as you...
Correct I have AWD.

----------

I'm getting 30 mpg on the highway, that's going 70 to 80 and 23 city. The DIC showed 27 mpg but I hand calculated it and it was 30 mpg.

Kevin
Damn! How can one person get 30mpg and another like me can't even break 23 mpg highway? I see like 18 city. I want you car. :lildevil:

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T
72 Posts
I get 30-32 on the highway when I'm cruising at ~65. But since I enjoy my ATS so much, my combined MPG is more like 18-19. I think the estimates are fair if you drive it normally. I just can't seem to drive it normally most of the time! :)
I agree. I did a little test and drove very sedately for a few days and got 20mpg in the city (no highway driving during this period).
I was surprised by that, but I was also bored stiff and have since reverted to "spirited" driving and having fun... and a combined average of about 17mpg. :yup:

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T MT
131 Posts
I've been taking it easy on all freeway trips (30 miles round trip twice a week) and I haven't seen any benefit. While freeway driving, as previously stated, the instantaneous is usually around 27. My average (over the last two tanks) is no different than with more spirited driving - 24 combined. Additionally, I keep my data logged for every tank so I have a fairly good understanding of my fuel consumption.

Again, anyone out there that knows what their auto car in 6th is running at 70 mph (rpm wise)? I'm still convinced that the manual's 6th is too short. As opposed to 2500 at 70 I'd like to see 1500. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic
41 Posts
I've been getting 20 mpg on my DIC in my 2.0T RWD Manual. Even when I baby it, I don't get higher.

Here's a question, what's the minimum RPM that you cruise in any specific gear? I have a hard time telling when this engine is lugging at lower RPMs. I've been settling around 1500 rpm for any given gear. Some days I feel I should be higher, sometimes lower, to get maximized fuel economy.

·
Registered
94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON
96 Posts
I've been getting 20 mpg on my DIC in my 2.0T RWD Manual. Even when I baby it, I don't get higher.

Here's a question, what's the minimum RPM that you cruise in any specific gear? I have a hard time telling when this engine is lugging at lower RPMs. I've been settling around 1500 rpm for any given gear. Some days I feel I should be higher, sometimes lower, to get maximized fuel economy.
I am avg. about 22MPG because my wife only does city driving. My Auto is almost always around 2000 rpm, i drive mainly freeway between 68-70 mph.

·
Registered
97 STS (Sold); 13 ATS 2.0T w/AT & CUE
22 Posts
Gfxbt, I checked RPMs at 70 tonight and like the previous poster I was getting 2,000 or slightly above.

Nathan

·
Registered
2013 ATS 4 Premium 3.6
10 Posts
My ATS4 AWD 3.6 V6 auto with 4000 miles shows 21.7 MPG lifetime average with a mix of city and highway. Not nearly as good as my previous car, a BMW 335Xi twin turbo which
averaged 24.1 MPG over the same roads at the same speed with the same driver.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T MT
131 Posts
nmauzy: thanks for the input re: engine speed at 70 with auto

unclemoose: as for cruising in a gear, i'm not sure - i typically go by feel and don't look at the tach. i think around 25 i'll be in fourth, 35 or so in 5th, and above 40 6th. you could definitely be at in a higher gear at each speed - it seems to have to go really slow for a specific gear to be lugging in my opinion. next time i am out driving i'll take a look.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic
41 Posts
nmauzy: thanks for the input re: engine speed at 70 with auto

unclemoose: as for cruising in a gear, i'm not sure - i typically go by feel and don't look at the tach. i think around 25 i'll be in fourth, 35 or so in 5th, and above 40 6th. you could definitely be at in a higher gear at each speed - it seems to have to go really slow for a specific gear to be lugging in my opinion. next time i am out driving i'll take a look.
Thanks, gfxbt. My concern is that maybe I'm not managing the trans appropriately to get the stated fuel economy. I'm thinking it's around 1,500 or 1,400 rpm that best fuel economy is achieved, but would love your feedback. I agree, I think I can maintain 6th gear w/o lugging around 40 mph and maybe 1,400 rpm.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
994 Posts
A couple of things to remember concerning fuel mileage. First, most of these cars are pretty new, and not yet fully broken in. Expect mileage to increase after break-in. For these various engines the breakin-in period hasn't been fully established yet, but usually it is in the 3-5,000 mile range. Second, winter mileage is always worse than summer mileage, except in the warmer climates. This is due to increased warm-up times, increased friction at lower temperatures, more inclement weather that requires more power to punch through, increased use of lights and wipers and defrosters and seat heaters, etc. Another compounding factor is the lower energy density of the mix in winter fuels, in the areas that have such blends (like Atlanta). All of this conspires to decrease mileage. I bet that as we get later into the spring, and especially as more cars get broken in, mileage will increase significantly. I certainly hope so, as both my '08 CTS and '09 CTS-V exceeded their EPA highway ratings by nearly 20% in my experience.

1 - 20 of 377 Posts