Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was wondering if i can upgrade the current stereo that i have on my ATS. i currently have the base version, the non-cue stereo . & i was wondering if maybe i can just buy a cue radio and have it installed. Can that be possible? or will it take extra work? for example buying new wires, or new harnesses etc etc. Also, i realized that that my car comes with a reverse camera in my license plate, so i was kind of curious if it can be done, ty

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
640 Posts
Possible? Sure! If you have enough time and money.......
But you'd probably be bucks ahead and live longer trading for a car that has CUE already.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,492 Posts
That will be hard to answer, because the majority will not have tried it in these cars, like in the old days where many
bought new stereos for cars and swapping was easy.

There is CUE with the standard stereo, which may be the same stereo that you have.
The better center point surround stereo is in the CUE that has Nav. That also has more speakers.

I read in other questions similar to yours that dealers don't do upgrades like this.

If you have the parts, some electronics/tech wizard can probably do it, but it's not gonna be something commonly done.

·
Registered
2013 ATS4 3.6L Premium
251 Posts
I think the biggest issue would be to get the replacement unit "paired" to the car. The CUE systems appear to be programmed to the VIN of the vehicle, and GM doesn't release the tools to do this (at least not at a reasonable cost). Technically, this may be against the law now/soon, but that's a different issue/topic.

If you just want an upgrade, I'd say you may want to try some of the aftermarket offerings - companies that do these upgrades, reprograms, and VIN programs for you. That might be the most cost effective way to get there for you. For example, I think a few people have used MVI Factory Navigation Systems – GM GMC Cadillac Buick & More

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
741 Posts
Technically, this may be against the law now/soon, but that's a different issue/topic
Indeed, an important topic that impacts anyone that owns a vehicle. Currently there is an uneasy alliance between manufacturer's/dealerships and the independant repair industry but access to the tools, software and repair data independant mechanics need is not complete and telematics is an area auto manufacturers do not seem at all flexible.

Thank god for groups like the Right to Repair coalition. If not for lobbying efforts like theirs the only choice for repairing a modern car would be the dealership:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts