Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to this forum and owning and modding American cars. I’m a die hard Mercedes guy (CLK550, CLK500,CLK320, CL63AMG,R350) but looking into buying something different from German cars. I’ve been really interested in the 2016 ATS V coupe but don’t wanna pay that price in this current car market. Found a used 2016 ATS for a real low price. To speed this up, I wanna engine swap the LF4 to the base ATS. I’m an auto tech at one of the largest automotive shops on the east coast so labor, programming, supplies and tuning is no issue. I’m aware it’s not straight plug and play but I want some feedback from some guys who’ve done it or thought about it. Even with the cost of the LF4 and the used ATS, it’ll still cost about 18 grand less than buying a ATSV with less models.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Remember the V's have 464 hp, so you must have a transmission and rearend that can handle that power. Plus there is a lot of coolers (radiator, intercooler) that need to be for the V. The car also has upgraded suspension and brakes compared to the normal ATS cars. And if you ever go to sell it, you would get a lot more money for a real V than a converted one. Personally I'd just wait and find a V with high miles that is affordable. And I see you are a Mercedes guy, I traded my 2011 C63 in on the ATS-V and I like the V better.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,405 Posts
The easiest way to pull this off is to jack up your rearview mirror and run a good ATS-V under it.

The -V package is SO different from the 2.0 - entire car and systems - it isn't funny.

Welcome from the Eastern Shore !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember the V's have 464 hp, so you must have a transmission and rearend that can handle that power. Plus there is a lot of coolers (radiator, intercooler) that need to be for the V. The car also has upgraded suspension and brakes compared to the normal ATS cars. And if you ever go to sell it, you would get a lot more money for a real V than a converted one. Personally I'd just wait and find a V with high miles that is affordable. And I see you are a Mercedes guy, I traded my 2011 C63 in on the ATS-V and I like the V better.
Thank you, the suspension and brakes again are no issue. I’m not sure if the trans in the ATS is the 8L45 or 8L90 which is in the ATSV. So I’ll look into that. Turnkey crate ATSV engine and trans only run like a grand more. I’m ready to get rid of my CLK550 as I’ve maxed it out at 415hp 429tq and looking for something that makes decent power now and can make much more whenever I want. Me and another tech were looking at an ATS we’re about to put a new engine in and we’re kinda shaping the idea of an engine swap on an ATS to a V based on how engine swapping the regular ATS goes and in reality we wanted to keep the converted ATS V as AWD if possible. Thank you for the info
The easiest way to pull this off is to jack up your rearview mirror and run a good ATS-V under it.

The -V package is SO different from the 2.0 - entire car and systems - it isn't funny.

Welcome from the Eastern Shore !
Thanks from Baltimore, Catonsville actually (Auto Clinic of Maryland to be exact) Any major differences that would deter me from converting one ? My budget is around 30k in total for this car build including the 15k car shell. Also would be selling the the current ats 2.0 and trans to reimburse myself on some of the cost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The mechanical stuff would be the easy part. Expensive but easy.

Transmission, propshaft, rear differential, axles, suspension knuckles, wheel hubs, struts, suspension cradles etc are all different.

The high speed GMLAN is going to be the issue. The V has some specific modules on the high speed LAN that the non Vs do not, specifically the rear differential clutch control module.

The V also has a specific fuel pump power module along with the chassis control module, which I believe is a different part nunber than the non Vs.

Your body harnesses are most likely different too.

Programming all the high speed GMLAN stuff is going to be the most time consuming and unless you are a CAN bus programmer or have a lot of experience it may not work.
HP tuners can handle most ECM/TCM issues and some CCM module programming but getting them to talk correctly with a conversion is going to be the biggest hurdle.

AWD is a no go as oil pan is different, cradle is completely different and steering gear location is as well.

This doesnt even touch the body components that are different.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
17 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not see how this can be cost effective. Beyond just the driveline, you also need all the cooling, suspension, and mounting/bracing, on top of the controllers for all these things to make this build work (especially if you want to keep this OEM). As far as I am aware, there were no 8L90 AWD vehicles, and the 8L45 will not handle the power, assuming it would just bolt up. There are ATS-V's out there for under $40K, but I think you are going to be in for more than that if you try to do the swap. Maybe the only exception will be if you can get a wrecked V and start moving components over to the base ATS shell, assuming nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mechanical stuff would be the easy part. Expensive but easy.

Transmission, propshaft, rear differential, axles, suspension knuckles, wheel hubs, struts, suspension cradles etc are all different.

The high speed GMLAN is going to be the issue. The V has some specific modules on the high speed LAN that the non Vs do not, specifically the rear differential clutch control module.

The V also has a specific fuel pump power module along with the chassis control module, which I believe is a different part nunber than the non Vs.

Your body harnesses are most likely different too.

Programming all the high speed GMLAN stuff is going to be the most time consuming and unless you are a CAN bus programmer or have a lot of experience it may not work.
HP tuners can handle most ECM/TCM issues and some CCM module programming but getting them to talk correctly with a conversion is going to be the biggest hurdle.

AWD is a no go as oil pan is different, cradle is completely different and steering gear location is as well.

This doesnt even touch the body components that are different.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I greatly appreciate the information.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
957 Posts
I can speak with some background. I was planning to buy an ATS and swap in an LS engine. After all newer Camaros and ATS have same platform. I did a fair amount of research including buying a wrecked ATS. I ended up fixing the ATS AWD and now it is my winter car. Just too much electronics to even try. (I did also swap a custom 600hp LS into my 97 BMW 318i so I have done that)
I actually did buy a 2016 ATSV manual coupe that had a fire that burned the front bumper etc. Managed to buy it cheap and then replaced engine wiring harness and spliced the body harness from firewall. I had to replace hood, fenders bumper etc. I ended up with about $25000US invested. That would be your least cost option. My car had about 20,000 miles when I got it.
Right now Copart has 3 ATSVs for sale. They are accident victims but not too terrible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts