Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Sedan, 1969 convertible, 71 Fleetwood, 74 Coupe
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im scratching my head on this one, how can ATF be leaking from the universal joint but not from the rear seal. I have checked for leaks on the whole gearbox, rear seal, dipstick tube, both cooler lines, etc and i cannot see where its coming from. Any ideas please.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
That front universal incorporates the splined yoke - with the polished seal surface on the outside. Absent any seal leaks there must be a casting porosity in the yoke itself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can lay under the car and literally watch it drip, its leaking that much.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Not sure on this car but some rear tranny shafts have a seal on the shaft itself to seal the inside of the yoke. Maybe this is one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure on this car but some rear tranny shafts have a seal on the shaft itself to seal the inside of the yoke. Maybe this is one.
I think you maybe right, reading on the internet, there is a vent hole in the end of the slip yoke, there is a O ring on the splined output shaft that stops ATF getting inside the slip yoke, if this O ring goes bad, fluid leaks out of this hole and into the universal joint. Most people either weld it up or put a bolt or screw in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts