Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Seville
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask the question is that a couple of years ago I bought a 92 Seville with 39K miles. The tires were most likely the original ones that came with the car. Haven't put on many additional miles and the tires still appear to be in good condition with no visable cracks and a lot of usual tread left.

However, if the tires are original, then that would make them 15 or 16 years old. Since nothing last forever, I wonder at what point they should be replaced.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
They only need replaced if the tread is worn out or if the sides become "weather checked".
Oxygen will break down the outside rubber on the tire and usually worse when the car is sitting still. The sidewalls will have a visible "cracking" all over the sides.
If you see that, replace them.
If they are still smooth on the sidewalls and show good tread, well..

If they are really that old, I would probably replace them anyway unless you don't plan on doing much driving. The tread will probably not perform as it was meant to and you could have problems with traction under certain conditions. Sometimes it is hard to tell if they are factory installed tires, they could have been replaced with the same tires that the car came with.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I would replace them. I had a horrible experience before with a tire that "looked" good but was 9 years old... it blew out on the highway almost causing a huge accident and causing my life...

Every since then, if I buy a antique vehicle that has old tires or questionable tires, I ask the owner to put a new set of tires on and add it to the bill before I pick it up.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
:thumbsup: Talk about a deja-vu post! I just replaced the OEM Goodyear RS-A Eagles on my car at 5 1/2 years. 41,500 mi. and lots of tread left, but the sidewalls were developing significant tiny cracks about an inch out from the bead. The left front was actually leaking air slowly from a crack not 1/8" long. We had to find the leak with soap solution. I've had the car for over a year and a half, garaged, and the previous owner not only garaged the car at home, but used a parking garage daily, so that sort of kills the UV damage idea in this case. Soooooo.when the sidewalls develop visible cracks, better safe than sorry. (BTW, found the cracks 4 days after a run to fuel cutoff at 132 mph...) Had trouble with strawberry seeds for a day or so..........

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Interestingly, Goodyear is replacing free of charge their Eagle RS-A tires due to sidewall cracking, but the voluntary recall only affects owners of P245/45VR18 tires, as originally equipped on the Nissan Maxima.

The current industry "standard" for tire age is 6 years...that is, it's often recommended that if a tire is at least 6 years old, replacement should be considered.

Note that you can tell when the tires were manufactured by the DOT code on the tire. Look at the last 3 or 4 digits of the DOT code molded into the sidewall. Your tires will likely have a 3 digit date code, meaning they were manufactured before 2000. The first 2 digits is the week and the last digit is the year. Example, 202 would mean the 20th week of 1992. Beginning in 2000, the date code is 4 digits. Again, the first 2 digits represent the week of production and the last 2, the year. So 2002 would be the 20th week of 2002.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Thanks guys, great posts .Well, I might also change my FWB's tires . They only had 20 K miles on it .I checked all the tires they get no cracks .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts