Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
06 Raven CTS-V No CAGS & UUC Shifter/Bushings
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get the annoying whine at highway speeds ... not so bad that it is unbareable, but noticeable enough that I have to have the radio a little louder than I normally would

I think I got to the point where I got used to it, but the other day I had a client in the car who noticed the noise and couldn't figure it out what it was ...

I have no leaking at all so that isn't an issue

Should I start the complaints at the dealer or wait it out and wait for it to become really noticeable?

At what point did you get your diff seriously looked at by the dealer?

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
It probably all depends upon the dealer. Mine isn't making any whining noises or having any other problems, except the growling/grinding sound while doing slow turns in a parking lot. That has come back again after almost exactly 13000 miles since the last time they performed the TSB and replaced the diff fluid (2nd time for it). So I guess it's only good for so long. Anyway the last time they did it the dealership said if it returned they would replace the diff if I wished.

If their techs can hear it, I would think they should replace it. Possibly arrange to have the service advisor go for a ride with you ?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
I've had two replaced for "whine," last summer at 27k and in June with 34k.

In both of those cases, the noise wasn't extremely obvious, especially with the radio on. It started at around 42 MPH, but the first one seemed to peak at around 48 MPH, and the second time the whine peaked at around 53-56 MPH. Now, my dealer is fantastic, and Cadillac should wish that they were all this good, but in the first case, I asked the service writer how bad the whine would have to be to have it replaced. She asked a tech to take a ride, he heard it, and they replaced it. The second time was a couple of weeks ago; in that case, I asked that a tech take a spin in it to listen for it. He did so, came back and said, "Yes" that he did hear it whine, and they replaced it on the spot ... even gave me a loaner to do a couple of errands with since I was being held up a couple extra hours because of it.

It does indeed depend upon your dealer; the better ones KNOW the dif is a POS and that they have an obligation to Cadillac and GM to keep the customer happy so they'll come back. The lesser dealers haven't gotten the word that the dif is crap or they suffer from the old-school illusion that the customer is there only to complain and antagonize them

IMHO, I would document exactly how the whine is produced (e.g. occurs between X-Y MPH, peaks at Z MPH, all with slight throttle applications) so they can replicate it. And, only if the subject comes up, the car has not been abused at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
I am starting to get the annoying whine at highway speeds ... not so bad that it is unbareable, but noticeable enough that I have to have the radio a little louder than I normally would

I think I got to the point where I got used to it, but the other day I had a client in the car who noticed the noise and couldn't figure it out what it was ...

I have no leaking at all so that isn't an issue

Should I start the complaints at the dealer or wait it out and wait for it to become really noticeable?

At what point did you get your diff seriously looked at by the dealer?
The point I got a dealer to seriously look at mine was when it was towed in with what was left of the diff, There were about sixteen
zillion pieces scattered down about 300' of the road where they picked it up.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I can barely hear mine with the radio off and windows up at about 38mph. At 42-43 mph it gets loud enough I can hear it with the windows up and radio on at a low level. By 50-52 mph it is either gone or road/wind noise drowns it out. I cant tell.

I have been wondering whether I should take mine in. Considering it is not leaking at all, I am hesitant to get it replaced. What if the replacement is worse, or starts leaking right away?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
6300 now. And I dont think the diff fluid has ever been changed. I have planning on doing it, if my schedule full of kids ever permits.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
(personal opinion) If the diff continues to be an issue I would have it changed before the original warranty expires, but you have a few miles before that occurs. I'm a little over 30K currently.

If the "low speed turning in parking lots" growling begins the dealer should replace and relube the diff at no cost to you via the TSB.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
6300 now. And I dont think the diff fluid has ever been changed. I have planning on doing it, if my schedule full of kids ever permits.
The Scheduled Maintenance requirements do NOT inlude a diff fluid change until at least 50K miles unless you see your transmission overheating warning with some frequency. This is not likely unless you are tracking the car.

Without getting into the running argument we have in this forum about doing your own maintenance, I would not do my own diff change on a unit that already exhibits a problem. I would instead let the dealer address the issue so that there is no confusion that your handiwork somehow created the problem. (Obviously just an opinion).

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The Scheduled Maintenance requirements do NOT inlude a diff fluid change until at least 50K miles unless you see your transmission overheating warning with some frequency. This is not likely unless you are tracking the car.

Without getting into the running argument we have in this forum about doing your own maintenance, I would not do my own diff change on a unit that already exhibits a problem. I would instead let the dealer address the issue so that there is no confusion that your handiwork somehow created the problem. (Obviously just an opinion).
Yeah, I have def thought about that. I know I am way before doing the diff fluid change mileage-wise, but the car is over two years old. And I have no idea how long it sat before I bought it. And I am guessing due to the really low mileage, that the previous owner likely bought and used it for a track car (it has FG2) As far as letting the dealer do it, I have heard stories of the dealer not including the additive, which scares me.

Like I said, I am probably going to just ride it out and see if it gets louder anytime soon. I dont have the "low speed turning in parking lots" growling situation that C described.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
Complain as soon as you hear it, loud and often if you want it in the records in case it blows shortly after the warranty expires. Or don't compain about it so it's not in the records in case you want to sell the car... Your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts