Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Sedan DeVille 4.6l
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's the story:
i own a 96 deville with the northstar. the car has 75,000 original miles on it. all maintenance is up to date. i only drive the car maybe 3-4 times per week to work and back. this morning i go to start the car and nothing happens. no power, no lights, nothing. i check all the fuses and the battery, all good. i wait about 20 minutes and then i try again, it starts up. i turn it off and check for codes, nothing, all good. i start it up again and i notice the time on the clock has reset itself to 12:00 but all the radio stations are still programmed. the trip odometer and miles used on the existing fuel are back to zero. i try to change the time on the clock but it won't do anything. i drive the car to work with no problems at all. i get to work and i start the car again just to be sure and now i'm able to change the clock on the radio again. should i be concerned or is this normal? the car sits more than it drives. please help.
thanks

·
Registered
96 Sedan DeVille 4.6l
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found the problem. when i replaced the terminal bolts, back when i bought a new battery, i neglected to replace the spacer that connects both of the positive terminals together. i put a new one in and problem solved (knock on wood).

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Doh! Thanks for the follow up!

·
Registered
96 Sedan DeVille 4.6l
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,
I went to start the car this morning and the same thing happened again :mad:
Is it possible that I need to replace the terminal bolts again :confused: These damn things don't last very long.

·
Registered
96 Sedan DeVille 4.6l
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea :thumbsup: I'll check that when I get home from work.
thanks

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Sounds like your ignition switch is bad. Sometimes it connects, and sometimes it doesn't. Same thing just happened to a friends '04 Saturn.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts