Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my '92 Seville over the weekend (replacing the water pump - oh joy - oh joy - whoever designed that device should be forced to spend eternity barking their knuckles replacing an endless number of 4.9 liter waterpumps!) I disconnected the battery - (naturally the alarm went off - but that's another issue) - well - since the "operation" my astro-roof - which functioned just great prior to the operation - no longer works.

The power windows still work - and since they are (apparently) on the same circut (according to the owners manual) I'm at a loss.

I used a test light to establish if there's any power getting to the astro-roof switches - no dice - no power.

Any ideas on this one folks? I mean winter is fast approaching South Central PA - but I'd still like to have the thing open up when spring hits!

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok - dug in deeper yesterday since it was nice out and working on the caddy was a viable way to avoid my "honey-do" list -
According to the owners manual the astro-roof is on the same circut as the power windows - so I thought "ok - maybe it's somehow releated to the drivers side master window switch" - hey - I can hope - right? Pulled it out of the arm rest and apparently my presumption was incorrect - there is a healthy hot wire going into the switch, a healthy ground wire and two wires for each motor (which I presume reverses the polarity so the DC motor spins one way or the other for up and down) but no apparent link to the Astro-roof controls. So I put all that back together (actually a pretty nice bit of engineering) and the windows still work (whew!).
So I pulled each and every fuse - and all seem OK -
Am I missing something here folks? I mean there's no power getting to the switch that controls the roof - from looking at the switch I'd presume that the black wire is ground and the beige wire is the primary power source (the other wires appear to be jumpers between the different control switches with the two off the central toggle again reversing the polairty of the motor to switch directions) -
I guess I'm asking - is there a fuse somewhere that I'm missing? All of the "big fuses" seemed OK (pulled the plastic cover off the DS inner wheel well to examine them) AND (once again, according to the manual) the one the controlls the windows is the same one that controls the roof -
Any assistance would be appreciated - as an engineer it just grates on me to have something not work - even if I'm not planning to use it.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
best thing you can do to fix it if you cant find out is loop a wire on the power window switch fuse run it to the power astro roof switch and splice into the power wire there giving it power. It will def "fix" the problem for the time being.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Steve,

I really can't fathom why disconnecting/reconnecting the battery should result in an Astroroof failure. And, since our vehicles are of a different generation, I don't know what help I might be to you.

However, Cadillac has traditionally used similar systems across generation platforms. Also, the sunroof system is outsourced and *might* be the same/similar in our cars.

With that in mind, I offer you what I found in my '95 FSM regarding the Astroroof. Even if it's not exact, it might help point you in the right direction.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/AstroRoofCF5.jpg (238KB)

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here's a (probably stupid) thought: why not try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery again?

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warren -

Not (I hope) a stupid suggestion at all - since in fact it was the first thing I did when I discovered the darned thing didn't work after doing the water pump and all -
I'm going to trace the brown wire coming into the switch (it is the one I presumed was supposed to be hot and the diagram confirmed that suspicion) when I get home this evening - with luck I'll find the point of discontinuity - which I feel is important to do since otherwise I could have a broken hot wire somewhere in the vehicle - which would have a serious potential to cause damage (like a fire) if it's not located and corrected. If, in fact, the brown wire from the master window switch on the drivers door is the culprit (as I suspect) then there could be a break where it passes from the switch out through the door and up to the astro-roof switch - time (and an ohm meter to check resistance between the two locations) will tell!

thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
878 Posts
Steve,

Please post back here with your results.

Us folk here depend on such solutions to help us solve our own problems. We are often frustrated when a thread simply ends without a final explanation.

I guess you are likely aware of this and don't need reminding, but I'm just like that. :bigroll:

Regards,
Warren :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
WarrenJ