Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 cts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AWD and Wagon feedback requested...

Hello. I currently have an '03 CTS Sport and am looking to upgrade. Currently I'm considering the AWD CTS models, specifically the wagon model. I am currently searching the threads to determine if there are any concerns that I should be aware of with both the AWD and the Wagon. At the same time, I thought I'd reach out with this thread asking for general feedback on the AWD Wagon models. Anything to watch out for?... Any years that a fella should keep away from?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
I have a 2011 AWD wagon, with the lowly/inferior/loser/hunk-o-junk/non manly (as reported on this forum) 3.0L engine.
I understand, and I am OK with, that I will not win any NASCAR poles, or monster truck pulls with this vehicle.
The AWD/3.0L combo suites me just fine, and has done just fine through two Michigan winters so far.
Unfortunately, some on this forum would revoke my man card, for driving such a inferior girliemobile, and shames
GM for ever putting the two together, even though they have never driven one.

The wagon has the same payload area as a SRX, you just lose about of verticle foot of liftgate opening.

Thanks for considering to stay with GM/Caddy. I think you would enjoy a wagon.

Reactions: thavil

·
Registered
03 cts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Jim. Although I have the "orphan" 3.2 engine in my'03 CTS, being a 5 speed it is a lot of fun, and I think I'll be in for a bit of a let down with an auto anyways LOL.
My 03 has been a great car, so fingers crossed that I can continue the experience with a newer awd wagon.
Thanks again, hopefully more will chime in with thoughts. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
While I don't have a wagon, I can say that from what I can recall reading in these forums, I don't think the wagon is any worse or better than the sedan or coupe. In general with the 2nd gen CTS, the earlier years ('08 & '09) seemed to suffer from some quality issues with the '10 models seeming to be the turning point. Now history will determine if the '11 & '12 models were actually better or if it's just a fact that they're newer.

The 3.6L engine had some issues with stretched timing chains and oil consumption, but I think that has been addressed in later years. In general this engine is well regarded despite what you may read here. It is also used in the V6 Camaro among other GM cars and SUVs. The 3.6L engine seems to be more preferred from a performance perspective, especially if you get AWD. For 2012 The engine received some minor tweaks that reduced weight and increased HP from 304 to 318. Torque I think stayed the same.

The coupe was recently rated the most reliable domestic car, but quite honestly I don't know what makes the coupe better than the sedan or wagon. THey are all built at the same plant and the mechanicals are pretty much the same. Again, probably because the coupe was introduced later and it benefited from some tweaks and improvements as the years have gone by.

From my own personal perspective. I have a '12 coupe that I bought last March. I have just under 12K miles on the odometer and the car has been pretty much trouble free with only one warranty visit at 3,800 miles. My seat belt light would flash even if I was buckled. The seatbelt buckle ended up being replaced.

Good luck. I LOVE mine.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
03ctsport,

I'm a new (to me) 2010 CTS4 Premium Sport Wagon owner. I purchased mine in late August and have already put on over 10K miles. I don't understand how some owners get low gas mileage, but on my (mostly freeway) trips I've averaged over 26MPG. In town, around 21-22MPG. My car was low mileage until I bought it and now at 29K, I'm in love! White Diamond Tricoat w/Cashmere interior.

The handling, comfort, utility and great looks constantly amaze me and my friends. I'm always getting comments such as, 'what is that', 'when did they start making those', 'wow', etc.

Buy it and you won't be sorry. Merry Christmas, Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,446 Posts
I love my wagon. Although not AWD, it is rattle free and quite comfortable. Some complain about the CTS seats, so try them out; I have no issues with mine. I have the 3.6+ Performance with nav and Bose and really enjoy it. My '10 has no timing chain issues as it was only a problem on the 08-09. I am of the belief that these are excellent looking cars and real sleepers. Not a girlie thing, and no one has ever insinuated that either. As a matter of fact, I have gotten lots of compliments. Coming from a mt, you might consider paddle shifters if you can find them in a wagon. I have over 40,000 miles, no oil issues. I have sent samples of my oil to Blackstone labs for testing and gotten the "A-Ok". Good car for me and should be for you.

·
Registered
03 cts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
As per your feedback, and that on other threads, it seems like 2010 and newer would be the prefered models. Definately would be looking for AWD because of our winters in norther Alberta. Fingers crossed that I find one...
Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
03 cts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly enough, I was at a local Cadillac dealership today, and they mentioned that they only brought in 2 wagons this year and still have one of them. Apparently not a big seller up here (and yet they have done very well with the coupes.)

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance AWD Crystal Red/Ebony
56 Posts
Bought my 2010 AWD 3.6 Wagon new in 2011. Just got back from a trip Kamloops to Prince George, BC and the car worked flawlessly. I worry a little worried going to PG that the front end may end up doing some snow plowing but that has not been the case. Car feels really planted to the road and handles snow and ice as good as any car or SUV I've driven.

·
Registered
07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon
207 Posts
I have a 2012 AWD Premium Sport Wagon, bought it in late Jan and I have 18K on the clock, no problems at all only been back at the dealer for free oil changes. With the 318 HP 3.6 it is very quick and a whole lot of fun to drive, I love this vehicle. My hobby is flying in large R/C aerobatic competition and my 42% scale aircraft fits in this vehicle in great style.
One of the great things about the Sport Wagon is that it is one of the rarest and best looking vehicles GM builds and as such you just don't see a copy of your vehicle on the road everyday.
I just hope when the 3rd gen comes out that they will still make a Sport Wagon version.

Tom

·
Registered
03 cts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback all. While I wasn't able to find the right wagon, I did pick up a 2012 3.6 AWD sedan!
(Here it is on Route 66)

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,446 Posts
Good for you. That works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts