Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the fisher body manual for my 75', and saw this one step that talks about using a water soaked asbestos rag to clean adhesive off the windshield to replace the mirror....hmmm..

I figured I would ask now, since they didn't really know about how awful the stuff was back then, was there any asbestos used in the construction on the older Cadillacs? I'm sure there is some in the brake linings and such, But i figured I would ask just for grins!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I was reading through the fisher body manual for my 75', and saw this one step that talks about using a water soaked asbestos rag to clean adhesive off the windshield to replace the mirror....hmmm..

I figured I would ask now, since they didn't really know about how awful the stuff was back then, was there any asbestos used in the construction on the older Cadillacs? I'm sure there is some in the brake linings and such, But i figured I would ask just for grins!
On the plus side, having the rag soaked in water would negate the asbestos causing respiratory issues (as it would keep the dust down).

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I wonder if that's a carry over from older years that was just never caught and removed? There are small things throughout the manuals that aren't valid for the year of car they were written for that get missed during editing for a few years.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. I spent YEARS working with automotive asbestos fiber clutches and brakes as well as all forms of insulation in diesel submarines. I'm not dead yet and I do NOT intend to hire an ambulance chaser lawyer any time soon.

Your chances of being struck by lightning are much greater than contracting mesothelioma from a wet rag - or some pipe insulation.

The sleazebag lawyers have invented yet another cash cow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts