Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '71 Eldo Conv
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to an article about the CTS:

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/.../05/an-open-letter-to-gm-president-obama.html

This author has also been adamantly opposed to government assistance to the big three. I don't agree with his findings--and he shows ignorance by comparing the base rental CTS with base tire and wheel combo to any BMW 5-Series. Personally, I'm glad my FE2 CTS isn't like a BMW--I wouldn't want it--as it is, it's firmly planted and more refined and comfortable, for my urban commuting. The second generation CTS is a great car! :D

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I found the comments to be more interesting than the review. For those who drove it and complained about the centre console, they must be either on the hefty side, bow-legged, or both. Fair comment if the console rubs against your leg because of your body shop but don't knock the car. Anyway, it seems that some people have to knock the big 3 because it supports the decision they made to by an Asian or European car - I have never understood that mentality.

·
Registered
Cadillac
269 Posts
I was one of those guys who didn't feel that American cars were up to their Japanese and European (German) rivals, and with good reason I might add. The American cars of the 70's 80's and 90's were awful. I had an 89 Acura Legend Coupe which still ranks as my all time favorite followed after 6 years by a terrible 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I mean terrible. It was then that I swore I would not buy an American car again, never say never. I bought a 99 Lexus RX 300 a beautiful SUV which turned out to be too small, under powered and very poor in the Northeast Snow even with AWD. Next came an 02 Acura MDX a great car which was truly an SUV, plenty of room, great power and an AWD system which really worked, however, it wasn't really a luxury SUV, it lacked too many luxury items.

This past November after making up my mind to ditch the SUV's and get back into a performance car I set my sights on the CTS Coupe only to be thwarted by GM's economic problems. So on impulse I bought a loaded AWD DI FE2 CTS, this is no rental car. The handling is superb, power is outrageous for a six and the luxury is beyond comparison. There is no such thing as a perfect car or anything else, so I will agree that the lines of vision out the side and back are limited and the foot well could be a little more roomy but in my overall assessment the CTS is far better than a "comparable" BMW5, M/B C, Infiniti M, Lexus or Acura.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was one of those guys who didn't feel that American cars were up to their Japanese and European (German) rivals, and with good reason I might add. The American cars of the 70's 80's and 90's were awful. I had an 89 Acura Legend Coupe which still ranks as my all time favorite followed after 6 years by a terrible 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I mean terrible. It was then that I swore I would not buy an American car again, never say never. I bought a 99 Lexus RX 300 a beautiful SUV which turned out to be too small, under powered and very poor in the Northeast Snow even with AWD. Next came an 02 Acura MDX a great car which was truly an SUV, plenty of room, great power and an AWD system which really worked, however, it wasn't really a luxury SUV, it lacked too many luxury items.

This past November after making up my mind to ditch the SUV's and get back into a performance car I set my sights on the CTS Coupe only to be thwarted by GM's economic problems. So on impulse I bought a loaded AWD DI FE2 CTS, this is no rental car. The handling is superb, power is outrageous for a six and the luxury is beyond comparison. There is no such thing as a perfect car or anything else, so I will agree that the lines of vision out the side and back are limited and the foot well could be a little more roomy but in my overall assessment the CTS is far better than a "comparable" BMW5, M/B C, Infiniti M, Lexus or Acura.
My story is somewhat similar except that I entirely ignored domestics for over 20 years - mostly because those with which I was familiar just didn't appeal to me. When the occasional one did appeal to me from the outside, I either found the interior unappealing or the price too high. Also, I was raised in a family that had driven Toyotas since our 1968 Crown. After a string of Toyotas and Mazdas, my 1992 Mazda 929 was my last new Japanese car (at that time, I had checked out the Legend - which I loved - but found its headroom sorely lacking; then the salesman insisted on my trying out the Vigor - whew, that was a POS!).

Ironically, it was a '95 Quest that moved me to give domestics a shake as the Nissan quality was awful and anything that was rock-solid was the Ford stuff. Unfortunately, come 2000, Ford didn't have a product that I found appealing and we ended up with a Bonneville. Say what you will about that car, it proved to be the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned - lasting to 150k miles before we dealt it away (with everything still working as new).

Fast forward to 2004, we were looking for a luxury crossover. I researched that buy up the wazoo and, being open to domestics, was surprised at how good the SRX was against the competition. Against my criteria, my final 3 were ranked SRX, RX330, MDX. BTW, I found even the RX330 to be particularly unresponsive to the right foot. The MDX, while a good vehicle, just didn't handle as much to my liking as did the SRX and we preferred the narrower SRX in parking - and in our garage.

Last year, we felt it was time to replace the SRX. This time around, we noted that the MDX was improved but uglier and still wide and the RX350 was more powerful but still lacked basic features like back-up sonar. All the other competitors were roughly were they were 4 years earlier. The SRX, though, had a much improved interior and it was our choice - again. First time in over 20 years we had bought the same model twice.

So, while I was in the showroom, I asked to drive the CTS - wasn't even in the market at the time. I fell in love with it. But, true to my nature, I decided to do some comparison shopping. Checked out what I considered to be competitors to a CTS-4: A6 (V6), 528xi, and G35x. These were all good cars and the Infiniti wins on speed and value and the A6 wins on overall polish but the CTS-4 DI had the best combination (IMO) of performance, comfort, polish, design, unique features, etc. - and at a price that didn't kill.

I am not expecting the CTS to be a beacon of reliability but will accept its warts as part of its character. Problem is, I haven't really yet found any warts...

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
Does anybody else have this knee problem that this guy has? I am short (5'4) but I dont have to have my seat so far forward that my knees hit the dash.

-Mark

·
Registered
Cadillac
207 Posts
I think that is what is causing most of the problem for some drivers. They have the driver's seat too close. I found that moving the seat back further really made a big difference in driving comfort. On long trips, I move the seat back far enough that my right foot can jusst comfortable reach the gas and brake. Most of the time on long ltrips we are using cruise control, so that extra of inches really makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
I agree that the problem the reviewer had was that he was too close. One of the problems with having a multi-adjustable seat and a tilt and telescoping steering wheel is that you can get a really bad seating position just as easily as a perfect one. The CTS really seems to be set up to have the seat and wheel rather far back. When I first got my CTS, I also had my seat set forward, which caused my knees to splay and hit the center stack, plus I felt that the manual shifter was too far back as well. Then I got smart and moved the seat and the wheel about 1 to 1 1/2 inches farther back, and voila, perfection! My legs no longer rubbed, the shifter was properly located, and the left foot rest became comfortable and useful.

The same situation occurs with the optional Recaro seats on the CTS-V. Being 14-way adjustable, they can easily be adjusted to an uncomfortable position. With patience and experimentation, that can become superbly comfortable and supportive. Wheel position is really important for this seat as well. Fortunately, I was already familiar with the CTS's ergonomics, so when I got my V with the Recaros it wasn't too difficult to dial in the comfort. Interestingly, my knees don't come anywhere near the stack or the armrest, but I am close enough to the pedals, wheel, and shifter to maintain perfect control. It's a pity that more people don't try all of the available adjustments, including some reviewers.

·
Registered
Cadillac
42 Posts
Does anybody else have this knee problem that this guy has? I am short (5'4) but I dont have to have my seat so far forward that my knees hit the dash.

-Mark
Yes, I agree. There were long threads about this problem a year or so ago. Adjusting the seat does not resolve the problem. It is a design flaw as the reviewer indicates.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
If ones moves the seatback enough, the legs will have to be straight in order to reach the pedals, and the knees will be nowhere near the center stack. That is simple geometry. So positioned, my knee clears the stack by an inch or two. It is imperative to pull the steering wheel toward you to re-establish a workable driving position. The wheel has plenty of travel to do this, more than on most cars. This also brings the shifter to a more natural position, and everything falls naturally to hand. I do not have to stretch to reach the pedals, and I can apply full leverage to the clutch and the brake. I'm convinced this is the driving position that they engineered into the car.

In most other cars, I tend to sit closer, and often have to splay my legs. This puts the wheel and shifter at the right place for me in most cars, but not the CTS. Many of those cars have relatively bothersome interference from the center stack, and indeed the CTS does if you sit close. Sitting farther back felt weird for me at first, but it was more comfortable overall and allowed me to shift comfortably, and no bruised knees! I do keep the front of the seat tilted up for extra thigh support-- maybe that helps,too. Try it again, farther back, with the wheel. I think you'll like it!

·
Registered
950 Posts
If ones moves the seatback enough, the legs will have to be straight in order to reach the pedals, and the knees will be nowhere near the center stack. That is simple geometry. So positioned, my knee clears the stack by an inch or two. It is imperative to pull the steering wheel toward you to re-establish a workable driving position. The wheel has plenty of travel to do this, more than on most cars. This also brings the shifter to a more natural position, and everything falls naturally to hand. I do not have to stretch to reach the pedals, and I can apply full leverage to the clutch and the brake. I'm convinced this is the driving position that they engineered into the car.

In most other cars, I tend to sit closer, and often have to splay my legs. This puts the wheel and shifter at the right place for me in most cars, but not the CTS. Many of those cars have relatively bothersome interference from the center stack, and indeed the CTS does if you sit close. Sitting farther back felt weird for me at first, but it was more comfortable overall and allowed me to shift comfortably, and no bruised knees! I do keep the front of the seat tilted up for extra thigh support-- maybe that helps,too. Try it again, farther back, with the wheel. I think you'll like it!
I second that.

While driving yesterday afternoon, it occurred to me to glance downward and I noticed that my knee was about 4" from the console. Because both the CTS' wheel and seat are adjustable, I am able to find an optimally comfortable position for driving that leaves my knees well clear of the console. I am 6'2" and ~185 lbs (IOW neither beefy nor a beanpole) and this is not even close to a problem for me. OTOH, I can imagine if my legs were thicker and somewhat bowed, it could be.

Again, hard to blame the car - this reviewer was picking nits.

And I know this has been discussed before and some feel that it's a design flaw. While I believe there are a few other minor design shortcomings in the CTS, I don't see this as one of them.

Also noticed he went to town on the Black Cherry colour! :cookoo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts