Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS, 1972 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

Has anyone installed the Arnott rear shocks on their vehicle, part number AS-2121? I have had them for a little over 2 months, recommended from my mechanic. They ride nice, but it keeps giving me the ground fault damper code c1726 and the other one for the left side. Arnott has a plug an play system in where the harness comes with the resisteor and everything. I have had Arnott send me out new ones 3 times since i have had them. The code will not surface for about 3 weeks, but then it comes back. Im tired of dealing with it.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Whatever it takes!!!!!!

Thanks to all.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
Good Morning,

Has anyone installed the Arnott rear shocks on their vehicle, part number AS-2121? I have had them for a little over 2 months, recommended from my mechanic. They ride nice, but it keeps giving me the ground fault damper code c1726 and the other one for the left side. Arnott has a plug an play system in where the harness comes with the resisteor and everything. I have had Arnott send me out new ones 3 times since i have had them. The code will not surface for about 3 weeks, but then it comes back. Im tired of dealing with it.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Whatever it takes!!!!!!

Thanks to all.
==================================
too bad you didn't come here before you wasted a LOT of money
on crappy - overpriced shocks -

we could have saved you HUNDREDS of dollars -
I bet you paid $300 or more for those shocks -

we would have recommended going with Monroe MA822 -
$56.18 - for the PAIR - including free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55T7W/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and IF your car originally had the electronic F45 suspension system -
you would need a pack of 4.7K ohm - 1/2 watt - resistors -
around $1.50 - from RadioShack - part #271-1124

in fact - I would recommend going that route now -

remove the arnott junk - either return them - or just throw them away -
and install the MA822's -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inherited this car, that was one of the first things i got done. I didnt get the huge wealth of info from here till right after i got the shocks done. Trust me, I kick myself constantly.

Basscat, do the Monroe's use the air pump at all?

·
19,272 Posts
Inherited this car, that was one of the first things i got done. I didnt get the huge wealth of info from here till right after i got the shocks done. Trust me, I kick myself constantly.

=============================
YES - they are a direct replacement unit -

they use the same air line connectors the original shocks used -
no modifications needed -

---------------------------

I didnt get the huge wealth of info from here
till right after i got the shocks done

well - at least you know where to get CORRECT information -

seriously -
I would get the Monroe shocks -
and return the arnotts -

I have had Arnott send me out new ones 3 times since i have had them
just tell them you are NOT satisfied -
you have had constant problems with them -
and are tired of replacing them -
YOU WANT A REFUND -

you might get lucky - and get your money back -
even if you don't -
you WILL be happier with the Monroe shocks -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Great! Do you know of any other reason i would be getting the C1726 damper short ground code? Just wanna make sure that when i replace it that it solves the problem. Arnott said they built the resistor in to their harness so I dont wanna shell out money and not fix the problem.

Appreciate you guys so much

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
No sense in throwing out recently replaced shocks that work just fine... instead of "wasting" $300, now you'd be wasting $356.18. That's not very logical.

All you'll need to do is figure out the resistor problem.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The Monroes don't have a connector and built in resistor, they're just better, AND cheaper. Seeing as the resistors keep failing, I'd try to get Arnott to take the shocks back and give you a full refund.

You have to use a resistor to get rid of the codes, as basscatt posted. There are several possible reasons you're still getting the code. Either the Arnott resistor is faulty, there's a wiring problem, or the RSS module is faulty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I (not me personally but the repair shop) have replaced the harness that comes with the shocks 3 times already because the right and left side have both failed. How would I check the cvrss to be faulty?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
When the replacement harnesses sea installed, do the codes go away at first? If so, the RSS module is fine, and the resistors are the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, when new ones are put on everything works great for about 3 weeks, then i get the message limited speed and service suspension

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a harness or wires that I can check that leads up to the resistor from the cvrss unit that may be crossing or causing the resistor to short out? Anything in the trunk that i maybe could check? Fuses, relays, anything????? Im taking any advice at this point, im really at a lost. Talked to an Arnott tech today and he said it may be too much heat and the resistor is melting from the inside out. What would cause that?

----------

The monroe parts that Bass recommended are not expensive. i dont have a problem going that route if i knew for sure it would fix my problem. I'm at the point now that regardless of what needs to be done to fix it, I will do. But I'm not 100% sure that this problem wont occur again even by switching to monroe

·
19,272 Posts
Is there a harness or wires that I can check that leads up to the resistor from the cvrss unit that may be crossing or causing the resistor to short out? Anything in the trunk that i maybe could check? Fuses, relays, anything????? Im taking any advice at this point, im really at a lost. Talked to an Arnott tech today and he said it may be too much heat and the resistor is melting from the inside out. What would cause that?

----------

The monroe parts that Bass recommended are not expensive. i dont have a problem going that route if i knew for sure it would fix my problem. I'm at the point now that regardless of what needs to be done to fix it, I will do. But I'm not 100% sure that this problem wont occur again even by switching to monroe
------------------------
don't misunderstand what I am saying -
I am suggesting the Monroe shocks
because they are BETTER - in every way -
quality - ride - PRICE - customer service -
compared with arnott -

HOWEVER -
your immediate failure is the electronic parts
that come with the arnot shocks -

to solve the C1726 code -
remove the plug from the arnott unit -
install the RadioShack - #271-1124 - 4.7K Ohm 1/2W resistor -
and clear the codes -

if the code doesn't come back -
you verified the problem -

if the code DOES come back -
check the wiring harness starting at the plug -
and work your way back -
you would need to find stripped wires rubbing on the chassis or body -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, will do. I have been reading a ton of post since i took it out the garage in January. You are a great help Bass, even though you start all you post about shocks and struts with the phrase "TOO BAD YOU DIDNT COME HERE FIRST" Lol. Im just kidding with you, I really truly appreciate your help.

·
19,272 Posts
Ok, will do. I have been reading a ton of post since i took it out the garage in January. You are a great help Bass, even though you start all you post about shocks and struts with the phrase "TOO BAD YOU DIDNT COME HERE FIRST" Lol. Im just kidding with you, I really truly appreciate your help.
===========================
even though you start all you post about shocks and struts with the phrase
"TOO BAD YOU DIDNT COME HERE FIRST"

well - it's true -

it's a LOT easier/cheaper to do it the right way first -
rather than trying to clean up a costly mistake -

look at all the time - aggravation - and MONEY you could have saved -
IF YOU CAME HERE FIRST - :histeric:

and HOPEFULLY -
someone else will read this thread BEFORE they buy the "wrong" stuff -

----------------
Im just kidding with you,