Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with Armor All or STP's Son of a Gun? For the longest time, I've used Armor All products on the Vinyl roof of the Brougham; however, after a moderate rain, the top looks like hell and the Armor All has run down the side of the car and streaked the windows.

I've found that STP's "Son of a Gun" works marginally better.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Use neither, ever. Armor All and STP are both loaded with silicone, which dries out whatever you apply it to. Vinyl tops, leather seats, the dashboard, they look great when you apply the Armor All or STP. Unfortunately, that's the silicone, which, in time, will make your leather dry and brittle, same with the vinyl. Use a water-based product, it'll do wonders for the look and longevity of your Brougham.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Use neither, ever. Armor All and STP are both loaded with silicone, which dries out whatever you apply it to. Vinyl tops, leather seats, the dashboard, they look great when you apply the Armor All or STP. Unfortunately, that's the silicone, which, in time, will make your leather dry and brittle, same with the vinyl. Use a water-based product, it'll do wonders for the look and longevity of your Brougham.
Yikes! I was always scratching my head as to why it looked so bad after a rain or, in general, a week or two after application. Many thanks for the sound advice.

Any suggestions on specific product(s) you have used? I know Ben has suggested a Meguiar's dressing, yet I cannot seem to get my hands on the stuff - and not sure whether it's water based.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
I use Meguiars and Mothers. Both seem good. Personally, I hate the spray and wipes.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Many dont seem to realize that Armor All isnt even recomended for leather. I know your not using it on leather CFan. Just a side note is all.
Read the container. Leather isnt in the list of applications. I cant believe how many people Ive told that to and were shocked.
Just goes to show how many dont even bother to read about the product that they're using.
Read the labels people !!

·
Registered
2000 deville DTS
1 Posts
I have used Armor All it has animal oil in it (NOT SILICON)
dries and cracks if you do not use it regularly. STP is a great product I have used it for many years now had no problems. I can't find it now so I switched to mothers!

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ETC
36 Posts
I did not know that !

·
Registered
1988 Brougham
1 Posts

·
Registered
None
1 Posts
Son of a Gun works better and longer for me on the bumpers, even the sidewalls, and what vinyl is on and around door panels.

Good afternoon, Your CF account is activated. Pease update your profile to show correct information and time zone. Thanks, CF Staff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts