Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today at 5:30, I get in my car, put in my key, let the glow plugs cycle and the car tells me its ready to start. SO, I try to start it, BUT, to no avail. The battery is fine, it even turns over, but it's that awful turn over, you know that slo-mo turnover when it sounds like the car is gasping for battery juice.

Ok, so i turn it off, let it sit awhile and think, "Hmmm. Maybe if I let the batterIES sit awhile and recharge they will have more cranking power. But, once again, it gives that lurching "I...can't....start..." noise.

Okay, so then, I get one of my buddies to come pick me up, we pop the hood. Everything looks fine. He jiggles all of the cables (battery, etc.) and say's to turn it over one more time just for the hell of it...

SO, I put in the key, let the glow-plugs cycle, and voila! it roars on (and puffs out tons of smoke from under the hood - but only for about 5 seconds...:sneaky:). So its on, and I can drive home...

The thing is, this isn't the first time its happened. It did something very similar to this on Saturday night.

So, what I'm wondering, is what do you guys think the problem could be? It has enough fuel, so my guess is that the oil needs to be changed - either because it's time or because I need a single-grade viscosity in there right now...

I have Rotella 15W-40 in there right now, and I've used it for the past two years with no problems...I got the oil changed in October, and I have no oil leaks...What could the problem be???

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
ben72227 said:
Okay, so today at 5:30, I get in my car, put in my key, let the glow plugs cycle and the car tells me its ready to start. SO, I try to start it, BUT, to no avail. The battery is fine, it even turns over, but it's that awful turn over, you know that slo-mo turnover when it sounds like the car is gasping for battery juice.

Ok, so i turn it off, let it sit awhile and think, "Hmmm. Maybe if I let the batterIES sit awhile and recharge they will have more cranking power. But, once again, it gives that lurching "I...can't....start..." noise.

Okay, so then, I get one of my buddies to come pick me up, we pop the hood. Everything looks fine. He jiggles all of the cables (battery, etc.) and say's to turn it over one more time just for the hell of it...

SO, I put in the key, let the glow-plugs cycle, and voila! it roars on (and puffs out tons of smoke from under the hood - but only for about 5 seconds...:sneaky:). So its on, and I can drive home...

The thing is, this isn't the first time its happened. It did something very similar to this on Saturday night.

So, what I'm wondering, is what do you guys think the problem could be? It has enough fuel, so my guess is that the oil needs to be changed - either because it's time or because I need a single-grade viscosity in there right now...

I have Rotella 15W-40 in there right now, and I've used it for the past two years with no problems...I got the oil changed in October, and I have no oil leaks...What could the problem be???

Thanks guys...
with the glowplugs and everything you shouldnt see a hard start in winter , my fleet of 6.2s never had trouble at all ...

Id run the batterys to an autoparts store and have them check to make sure thre delivering the full CCA ....

In my fleet of 6.2s i ran mobil one delvac 15w40 , every truck started all the way down to -80 .....with heaters LOL ....My shop truck which also had 6.2 power would start even at 20-30 below without heaters .....long short , oil isnt your problem , your looking at batterys or starter ....6.2 starters gave me lots of greif , i remeber one truck wouldnt start m seemed like the starter was perfect m glow plugs were perfect , the old rossamaster pump was perfect , but the sonfabitch wouldnt start , turns out the starter wasnt provideing enough cranking speed ...

oh , my air compressor just kicked back off ...time to go back out , harmonic balancer fun .....

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
with the glowplugs and everything you shouldnt see a hard start in winter , my fleet of 6.2s never had trouble at all ... Id run the batterys to an autoparts store and have them check to make sure thre delivering the full CCA ....
Dunno about that Winter start problem, ben72227 certainly didn't mention anything about it (except to say that it was "cold"). How cold is it in Arkansas this time of year?

Is this a "severe-cold-start" problem? Or are we just talking about a moderately "cold" day in sunny Arkansas?

Regards,
Warren

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it was below freezing at night (it drops down to about 25 F at night this time of year...) but during the day it shouldn't be FREEZING. I mean, it started fine this morning and it was 32...

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
WarrenJ said:
Dunno about that Winter start problem, ben72227 certainly didn't mention anything about it (except to say that it was "cold"). How cold is it in Arkansas this time of year?
Is this a "severe-cold-start" problem? Or are we just talking about a moderately "cold" day in sunny Arkansas?
Regards,
Warren
no worries warren .... title says he hates it when it was cold ....he was kinda eyeing a oil problem from what i read ...i just wanted to dispell it , becuse ive seen these type deisels (6.2 and the olds 350 are silimalr) start much colder than what he is trying to do ....thats all ...

really didnt have to say anything LOL ......after he and i decided to flame the shit out of eachother .....but when it comes to tech help i try not to hold grudges ....have knollege about this stuff , thought i would share .....

its pretty rare i get to talk diesel , something near and dear to me

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,789 Posts
25F! You ain't seen noth'in. That thing should start with gear lube in it at that temp. I'm with Stoney, check the batteries and/or cables.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
ben72227 said:
...He jiggles all of the cables (battery, etc.) and say's to turn it over one more time just for the hell of it...

Remove and thoroughly clean all your battery connections. They may look good on the outside but still have corrosion between post and clamp. While you are cleaning it would be wise to put the battery on a charger if you have one.
I'm guessing this will help you out.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's right, you had better keep that Ego character of yours tied down. He's lucky they're holdin' me back! I'd rip him to shreds!:devil::bomb::rant2:

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
And be nice to Stoney or Ranger and I will just look the other way....... :sneaky: :bouncer:

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PROBLEM SOLVED!

After some tedious diagnostic work, I found the problem to be in the cable that connects one of the positive terminals to the starter. Apparantly, the cable has a short in it - when you let it hang, it won't start, but if you hold the cable up, and elevate it, the car WILL start. Solution: (In typical Arkansan fasion, of course) I duck-taped the cable to the side of the coolant overflow tank:histeric:and now it starts...:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts