Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium Phantom/Black
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2014 Premium for three months now and I absolutely love this car. It's stealthy and fast, exactly what I was looking for. And it looks like nothing else on the road from the front. That being said the other day I turned on the seat heater to give my lower back a little love. After about ten minutes and feeling maybe a little bit of heat I thought they are not working so good. Passenger seat the same. Just enough heat to knock the morning chill from the leather. But not much more. By comparison in my Avalanche if you accidentally turn one on you know it pretty quickly. On the high setting the truck's heaters are HOT. Could anyone please share how yours work? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
7 Posts
I've had my 2014 Premium for three months now and I absolutely love this car. It's stealthy and fast, exactly what I was looking for. And it looks like nothing else on the road from the front. That being said the other day I turned on the seat heater to give my lower back a little love. After about ten minutes and feeling maybe a little bit of heat I thought they are not working so good. Passenger seat the same. Just enough heat to knock the morning chill from the leather. But not much more. By comparison in my Avalanche if you accidentally turn one on you know it pretty quickly. On the high setting the truck's heaters are HOT. Could anyone please share how yours work? Thanks.
2014 here and the seat heaters are underwhelming. The car is still generally new to me, so like a lot of little things, I'm left wondering "is it supposed to be like this?"

I was in a loaner XT5 where they were noticeably warmer. Every other car I've been in with heated seats, Toyota, BMW, Honda, you name it, has been much, much warmer despite some of them being 10 years older.

I have noticed that only the centermost portion of the seats seem heated. The thigh bolsters and back (hip?) bolsters don't seem to heat up at all, so I'm not sure if that's a "something wrong" thing or a "how it is" thing. But even so, I'd expect the heated areas to be much warmer than they are.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
`14 CTS V-Sport Premium - Silver
336 Posts
A bit slow to warm up, but I've been generally happy with where they end up and have to turn them down after some time. Biggest complaint is the lower of the seat. Since it's sectional and the "wings" (side sections) don't seem to be heated. So it kind of counters the middle. Wish the entire thing was heated.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
A bit slow to warm up, but I've been generally happy with where they end up and have to turn them down after some time. Biggest complaint is the lower of the seat. Since it's sectional and the "wings" (side sections) don't seem to be heated. So it kind of counters the middle. Wish the entire thing was heated.
Exactly my thoughts.

·
Registered
2016 CTS VSport
405 Posts
They suck. Our '04 had heaters that you actually had to turn down, the '09 seats were so-so, the '16 seats are lukewarm at best. Guess someone complained "hi" was too hot so instead of just turning them down, now we all pay the price for their stupidity/ignorance/laziness. Just like in the real world, a few whiners dictate policy for everyone...

Russ

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
They suck. Our '04 had heaters that you actually had to turn down, the '09 seats were so-so, the '16 seats are lukewarm at best. Guess someone complained "hi" was too hot so instead of just turning them down, now we all pay the price for their stupidity/ignorance/laziness. Just like in the real world, a few whiners dictate policy for everyone...

Russ
this is probably the winning answer, someone probably claimed they were burned by the seats

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium Phantom/Black
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I feared as much that they were toned down. I used them again today, 40 degrees when I left for work. I know to a lot of you that seems like summer right now, but this is WPB Florida and with the constant 20 mph wind it's pretty darned cold! I felt some "heat" around the time I arrived for work 25 minutes later, but certainly not what I was hoping/expecting. Saves me a trip to the dealer. The steering wheel heater is a nice touch and is adequate for a wheel so I guess there's that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I feared as much that they were toned down. I used them again today, 40 degrees when I left for work. I know to a lot of you that seems like summer right now, but this is WPB Florida and with the constant 20 mph wind it's pretty darned cold! I felt some "heat" around the time I arrived for work 25 minutes later, but certainly not what I was hoping/expecting. Saves me a trip to the dealer. The steering wheel heater is a nice touch and is adequate for a wheel so I guess there's that. Thanks again.
don't be too down on the car for this....i had a Passat whose seat heaters would burn you, that probably wasn't great.....but between the heated wheel/seat and climate control, the car can make you comfy, even if not in the manner you thought

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
People in SoCal and Miami think they work fine. They don't. They're miserably inadequate in colder climates. Without question the worst seat heaters I've ever owned, and every car I've bought since about 1980 has had them.
don't mock the southwest

i lived in Tucson for College and Started Working for Gateway Computers, who transferred me to Woodbury, MN (St. Paul suburb)....and no one believed me (having gone from one extreme climate to another) that i felt colder in Tucson than i did in Minnesota....if they cared to ask, i explained that in the Sonoran Desert in wintertime it would be in the 70's sometime 80's by day and subfreezing by night, there's even a Ski resort just outside of town called Mt. Lemmon.

so you quite literally could start your day in shorts and end it in a parka there, whereas in a Minnesota Winter you could have a high of 30 degrees and low of 20, your're bundled anyway the whole day no it feels the same.....but a nasty temperature swing like what you can get down here hurts way worse, your body just cant acclimate like that

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Here in the Mid-Atlantic we have our share of cold weather (too much lately) and my seat warmers work fine. It does take about 5 minutes to reach optimum temperature though.

·
Registered
2016 CTS VSport
405 Posts
FYI: I'm in SETX where temps vary from over 100° down to occasional mid-teens, I use the seat heaters EVERY time I'm in the car even in August when ambient temps are REALLY hot. My L 3|4|5 lumbar discs are flattened to the point where they're bone-on-bone. Every bit of heat helps, and these are quite marginal on helping...

Russ

·
Registered
2016 CTS V-Sport Premium Red Obsession/Lt Cashmere
222 Posts
Heck no the seat heaters are not good at all. The cooling in them is good but the heat leaves much to be desired. What I do like about the car is that if the outside temp drops below 50 it turns the seat heater on automatically.

I will admit I am coming to the CTS V-Sport Premium from a 99 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, now that car has seat heaters. Within a few minutes the seats are very comfortable. So much so the old Buick doesn't have a heated steering wheel but a few moments of the palm on the seat under a leg and your hand is nicely warmed.

Brock

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
923 Posts
don't mock the southwest

i lived in Tucson for College and Started Working for Gateway Computers, who transferred me to Woodbury, MN (St. Paul suburb)....and no one believed me (having gone from one extreme climate to another) that i felt colder in Tucson than i did in Minnesota....if they cared to ask, i explained that in the Sonoran Desert in wintertime it would be in the 70's sometime 80's by day and subfreezing by night, there's even a Ski resort just outside of town called Mt. Lemmon.

so you quite literally could start your day in shorts and end it in a parka there, whereas in a Minnesota Winter you could have a high of 30 degrees and low of 20, your're bundled anyway the whole day no it feels the same.....but a nasty temperature swing like what you can get down here hurts way worse, your body just cant acclimate like that
Wasn't mocking the SW in general. I lived there myself for a couple of "Winters", Phoenix to be specific. But in SoCal... let's say, oh, San Diego :) ...where the average low temp in the dead of winter is nearly 50, you're less likely to be dissatisfied with the way the seat heaters work in your CTS than someplace where it actually gets cold.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
33 Posts
The heated seats in my Vsport get warm at best. My GF has a Buick Enclave and the heated seats in that thing get HOT. After turning on the heated seats in the Enclave, I find myself turning the setting down from high maybe 15 minutes or so because it is kind of uncomfortable. In my Vsport, I can have the heated seat on high for an hour before I feel like I want to turn it down to medium or low.

·
Registered
2016 CTS VSport
405 Posts
My seats automagically turn themselves down after 20 minutes or so. I found a way to save a button-press is to tap the cooler button once (goes to max cool) and then the heater button once (goes back to max heat). Saves cycling thru all the heat steps to get back to hi...

Russ

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,554 Posts
Mine do not work. You can't tell any difference being on. I have had other people sit and see if they work. They don't. Just like my ATS they don't work. Now the cooling works very well. Ive been down this road before and I choose to leave it alone. I bought the car for other reasons. My butt will just be cold. And I'm not exaggerating when I say both cars did not have heat in the seats. Dealer said the same. They said doesn't seem to get warm enough. I told them after to leave it alone because they said they have replaced them to have the same result. I also took a laser temp gun from work and I got a small difference in degrees off and on. I kept the heat off in the car and just used the heated seats to see what I got. I don't really care about the heated seats. My wife's Honda Pilot will burn your a$$. But I need her butt to stay warm:sneaky:

I even have them set in CUE to be on remote start. Does nothing. If yours works then great. I'm used to being cold up here in the NE.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts