Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting the ESV, and I know it's recommended in the manual to use Premium gas (if you do not have Diesel), but is anyone here using unleaded gas instead? I have been told by a few Escalade buyers, some whose entire family owns these models and they all said they use unleaded and performance really hasn't changed.

The one person who did said they used premium justified it as buying an expensive vehicle so you can afford to put in the recommended gas.

Of course we can afford (I hope so) but I am wondering if there's no harm being done then why not just use unleaded?

Anyone affected by MPGs with unleaded? MPG is already not good to begin with, so losing 1 isn't that big of a deal?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,675 Posts
Unless you search out non-Ethanol aviation fuels ALL automotive pump gasoline is "unleaded", whether laced with Ethanol or "pure gas".

Tetraethyl lead was removed from gasolines a very long time ago, was replaced with hardened valve seats and MTBE, and that was replaced by Ethanol as the oxygenator - about 20 years ago.

"Premium" usually means a U.S. octane rating of 91/93 octane, "MidGrade' is 89 and "Regular" is 87.

Use the gasoline recommended for your particular vehicle in its owner's manual. There is no reason on earth to either spend the extra money or time to search out non-Ethanol fuels - unless there's a very convenient local station with very competitive pricing. Otherwise the engine will never know the difference. FWIW Ethanol is both an octane booster and a powerful fuel system cleaner. The old hearsay wives' tales about "water" and "eating fuel tanks" are ancient history. The fuel tank rumor came from Ethanol-laced marine fuels destroying the resins in some Hatteras Yacht fiberglass fuel tanks for gasoline engines.

Reactions: pwz2000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
87 gas is what I meant by Unleaded/Regular. This is typically $1-1.50 cheaper than Premium since the beginning of time here in my state. So there's no searching needed, every gas station carries 87 and it's 100% cheaper here at least.

Now on the flip side, Diesel is not available everywhere and you have to do some searching to find a gas station that will even fill up your vehicle. I was considering Diesel at first but research the prices which is $2 minimum more than 87, and a dollar more than Premium + there weren't any gas stations within 5 miles offering Diesel.

Unleaded gasoline can come in any of the 3 common octane ratings.................

·
Administrator
77,675 Posts
You posted "unleaded" only. "Regular" today is usually 87 octane E10 or, in some locales, E15.

Always has been pricing differences in the several available octane ratings. Even moreso when you could select any one of eight (8) octanes at a Sunoco pump. :cool:

Maybe diesel is scarce in your Georgia area but here in MD every station has it - and it's not cheap.

Reactions: pwz2000

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
We’ll use this place occasionally for the good leaded gas but you’ve gotta bring a funnel because the nozzle is huge. These motorcycle guys let us borrow their funnel.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Fender Wood

Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Administrator
77,675 Posts
We’ll use this place occasionally for the good leaded gas ......................
Leaded gasoline from an automobile station pump? Must be avgas. Illegal as all getout. Bye bye catalytic converter if you run it in your Escalade.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You are correct. Posted purely for entertainment value. The title of the post deserves credit. I knew exactly what he was talking about when Regular vs. Unleaded was mentioned. Embarrassingly though, I didn’t immediately pick up on the fact he meant Regular vs Premium (Ethyl) until it was mentioned. LOL here I am in a Cadillac wondering how I ever ended up in a Cadillac. I vowed never to own one.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Sport Platinum
3 Posts
If I were leasing a car, I would probably use 87 since its going to be turned back in anyway. On vehicles I purchase, I use Shell V power on my M since the gas cap states “BMW recommends Shell V Power” and put the same in my ESV. So I guess it depends on my purchase situation on what gas I choose…

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
1,097 Posts
Missed on this discussion is adding E15 that was mandated by the feds almost 1 1/2 years ago
More Ethanol percentage, the leaner the fuel trims are, more knock and misfires

Not the same as just saying "using 87 Octane" without mentioning if that is non Ethanol, E10 or E15
Surely have to consider using 87 for E10 but not when using E15, worse in summer heat.

Sneaky feds who love the lobbies went so far to also remove the requirement that gas pumps no longer
have to put a label on stating the percentage of Ethanol, so if was labeled people would buy less Ethanol buying instead E10 when seeing an E15 label
This way lots more E15 is being sold without the gas customers even asking at the station what amount of Ethanol is
coming out the pump :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Unless you're drag racing, you won't notice a difference. Every modern car has the ability to adjust the timing for different octane levels.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
1,097 Posts
Unless you're drag racing, you won't notice a difference. Every modern car has the ability to adjust the timing for different octane levels.
Not quite, try pulling the total mass of a vehicle around sea level, pulling up a hill
when several knocks in a row causes the PCM to jump into the low octane timing table
( which then stays there until more gas is added to gas tank, and goes back to high octane timing table values)
and PCM yanks as much as 15 degrees of timing,

Timing helps produce torque (twists the crank), less timing, less torque and long term use of crap gas (for that engine design) and beats the hell out of the pistons, rings and cylinder walls and less torque pulling up that hill is long term degrading the engine

I suggest people learn to uses a OBD scanner and see how often knock and misfires on your engines when wanting to save a few bucks on lower octane gas, worse with use of E15

One of the timing tables when knock occurs and how much timing is yanked, there also is the time it takes for the PCM to recover from the pulled timing

So if wanting to keep the vehicle long term, reduce beating up the bottom end and prevent loss of TQ/HP use a better octane, do not use E15 (esp with vehicles older than 7 years) use better octane levels or install water/methanol to reduce knock, loss of timing and helps raise the octane level

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2021 Escalade
161 Posts
Have to admit I’m really surprised at the number of owners here not using the “recommended” fuel type (premium) for such an expensive investment. What possibly does the manufacturer have to gain by recommending a fuel type if it’s not actually needed? Perhaps I’m missing something here but I assume GM engineers recommend premium for a reason, or is it just for “cosmetic” reason (i.e. to distinguish Escalade as a “luxury” vehicle).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts