520 Posts
airbalancer said:
As I am still wait or the grandkids to come over to open grifts
This will be the only day they sleep in late :coffee:
The news story about mad cow being found in Wash state
and after a summer of mad cow scare in Westner Canada
Will you eat beef?
Or do you even know what mad cow is?
Isn't mad cow what you get when it's below freezing and you try to milk one without gloves ?
Seriously though, the interesting part is that the cow was suspect, but they sold and shipped the meat before the test results came back. There's just something fundamentaly wrong when profit is all that ever matters.
Bob

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Im going to Don Schulas Steak House tonite for Christmas Dinner.....I'll be having Beef :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Brett said:
Im going to Don Schulas Steak House tonite for Christmas Dinner.....I'll be having Beef :)
Brett, ever been to Sam Selzer's on Dale Mabry by the stadium ? If so, how does it compare to where you're going ?
Bob

·
Registered
253 Posts
No, I will never eat beef again! Nor will I ever fly when I travel, or ignore a level orange threat alert. I will never again enter high rise buildings, take a walk in the inner city at night, or remove the bars from the windows in my house. And you better believe that I'm getting my flu shot every year from now on. If you think about it, anything can get you at any time, so why not fear everything and everybody?

Merry Christmas :coffee:

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
bob2231 said:
Brett, ever been to Sam Selzer's on Dale Mabry by the stadium ? If so, how does it compare to where you're going ?
Bob
Seltzers is OK, if you account for price Seltzer's is Great. The real steakhouses in Tampa are Ruths Chris, The Palm and Don Schula's, funny they are all in and around Westshore mall. Its a once or twice a year thing though, a la carte menu, so your looking at $100+ easy for a couple. Ruths Chris is the best, but Schula's is open on Christmas.

You cant beat Seltzers specials though, they'll have 20 buck porterhouse deals all the time. And that place is always packed, so whenever you go, make it early or late or be prepared to wait

·
Registered
A boat
1,517 Posts
This is from a guy on svtperformance.com
Seems everyone is in an uproar over this deal and Im afraid with the way the mis-information media is that its only going to get worse.
Heres a few little known facts about mad cow disease.
-In 12 years Mad Cow disease has killed 150 people TOTAL most of them were in Europe.
-The only parts of the beef that are infected are the Brain and the spinal cord, the rest of the cuts of meat do not contain Mad Cow Disease.
-It only affects older cattle that are over 3 years of age. Most of the cattle that go to feed lots, then onto slaughter are 14-18 months old.

So dont freak out and clean out your freezers.
150 deaths in 12 years, eating Beef is still alot safer than smoking cigarettes.

If this goes like I hope it wont american farmers and ranchers are going to be in for some very tough times in the next few years. We havent had the rains to grow the crops, but the cattle market has been good and now even that looks as if its going to hell. If people know the truth about this then maybe we have a chance. Thanks Anthony 99cobra2881

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'll be eating beef.....The media overhypes everything in an effort to keep people nervous about everything. I ain't nervous about anything!

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
Why, of course I'll eat beef. Nice NY Strip steak is my favorite. I also choose the smoking section at restaurants. I Enjoy a cigarette with strong black coffee after a fine beef meal. Merry Christmas to all of you , here at the Cadillac Forum, and a Happy New Year as well.

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
I grow my own beef, but I would not hesitate to purchase beef. Like the quote from sinister says, most beef is 16-18 months old when killed. I just prefer to raise my own so I know that no steriods or other chemicals were used. Anyone that would turn down USDA grain fed beef can eat tofu from now on for all I care. Boy do I feel sorry for all those grass eaters out there, they don't know what their missing.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I am a little bit veggie , I don't like beef anyway ,but for beef lovers please be very warry about it

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Not eating beef right now. Mind you, not eating much of anything right now. Friggin flu has caught me for the first time in years. Miserable little bugger. But once I'm back to eating food again, yes I'll eat beef. Mad Cow disease isn't a major health risk to people, and the US food system is pretty good about food prep and so forth. Toss in that I cook my beef properly, and I'm not real worried unless the meat is green when I buy it.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I only eat Kosher beef, so I'm safe. Nothing to worry about, but I don't eat much beef. Once or twice a week, less in the Summertime.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here a story about the farmer who had the BSE cow in Canada

Alta. farmer has sympathy for U.S. counterpart

CANADIAN PRESS

EDMONTON - The farmer at the centre of Canada's mad cow crisis has some advice for the owner of the first animal in the United States found with the disease: Run.
"I don't know what I'd do - probably take the first plane to Hawaii I could find," said Marwyn Peaster, the northwestern Alberta rancher who sent to slaughter an ill, six-year-old cow that was found to have bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

"It's the best thing to do, probably. There's nothing he can do. He can't change the situation," Peaster said of the Washington state dairy farmer who last owned the U.S. cow suspected of having BSE.

When first told of the mad cow discovery in the U.S., Peaster said, "Is that so?" and chuckled lightly.

"It's not surprising, I guess. They got the same or better chance to find one there as we do here."

The shy, 30-year-old Peaster expects the small-town Washington farmer to be hit with as much rabid media attention as he experienced last May when Canada's mad cow crisis first broke.

"I feel sorry for him," Peaster said.

Mel McCrea, whose western Saskatchewan farm was the birthplace of Canada's mad cow - the animal was later purchased by Peaster - also felt sympathy for the American farmer.

McCrea's advice was to be upfront.

"It's the only way out," he said.

A lifelong rancher, McCrea suffered the loss of all 245 of his cattle when agriculture officials slaughtered the purebred Angus herd he had spent decades building.

He expects the U.S. dairy farmer, whose herd is now quarantined, will experience the same loss.

McCrea has slowly started rebuilding his herd, but said he will closely watch developments over the next few days to see how wise it is to buy more cattle.

The potential economic fallout from this new mad cow scare - lower beef prices and reduced U.S. demand for Canadian beef - complicates things greatly for Canadian producers, he said.

McCrea expects a deluge of smug "we told you so" comments from Canadians.

But he said that would only widen the divide between what used to be a fluid trade relationship.

"We don't need any of that stuff. We can smile to ourselves and say, 'Oh boy,' but we still need them," he said.

I never notice a big drop in beef price in Ontario this summer.

I never stop eat beef.
But then I have MCD ( mad cadillic disease)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will US beef farmer be in trouble?

World ban on U.S. beef widens

BOGOTA (AP) — Several Latin American countries announced bans today on U.S. beef imports following the confirmation of the first case of mad cow disease in the United States.

Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Venezuela, Uruguay, Nicaragua and Costa Rica said they would bar U.S. beef imports, joining Mexico, Brazil and Chile, which had announced similar measures earlier this week.

Elsewhere, Egypt, Indonesia, Vietnam and Ukraine also announced measures today to keep out American beef imports, while Japan, the largest market for U.S. beef, formalized a temporary halt to the imports imposed when U.S. officials first announced the suspected case Tuesday.

South Korea and Mexico, the second and third largest consumers of U.S. beef by value, announced bans earlier this week. Japan, South Korea and Mexico accounted for the bulk of $2.6 billion (U.S.) in beef export sales in 2002.

Officials from Peru, Colombia, Argentina and Venezuela said today the ban would remain until the United States can prove its beef is safe to eat.

Colombian Agriculture Minister Carlos Gustavo Cano said tough controls were being put in place at airports and ports to ensure that no U.S. beef makes its way into Colombia, which consumes an average of 4,000 tonnes of American beef every year.

"Mad cow disease has deadly effects on whoever consumes contaminated meat and for that reason we have to have very strict controls," Cano told local radio.

In Caracas, Francisco Armada, the Venezuelan Health Ministry's director of sanitation control, said the ministry had identified only "two or three" companies in Venezuela that import U.S. beef and had notified them that their permits to import American beef have been suspended.

Jose Luis Betancourt, president of Fedenagas, Venezuela's largest cattle ranching association, said the country only gets three per cent of its beef abroad and the majority comes from Argentina.

In Buenos Aires, Argentine authorities also announced a temporarily ban, although the country, one of the world's largest beef producers, imports only a small amount of U.S. beef, about 48 tonnes a year, the Agricultural Department said.

Peru also said in its official gazette Friday that the ban was not expected to greatly affect consumption in the Andean nation, which is also a beef producer and imports only a small amount of American meats.

Egypt, which imports most of its beef from the European Union, South America and India, said Friday all American beef products and by-products shipped after Dec. 24 would be banned. According to UN trade data, the United States exported about $11.5 million US worth of beef products to Egypt in 2002.

In Indonesia, Bachtiar Moerad, a senior official at the agricultural ministry told Kompas daily that the government decided on the ban following an emergency meeting.

Vietnam said the ban would remain until the United States could prove its beef was safe to eat, an official of the Veterinary Department, which licenses meat imports, said on condition of anonymity.

Ukraine, which does not import U.S. beef and beef products, said in a telegram sent to the U.S. Embassy that it will not import any because of mad cow fears.

Scientists at the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in England on Thursday confirmed earlier U.S. tests concluding that a Holstein Cow in Washington state had the deadly disease.

Other countries that have banned U.S. beef include China, Thailand, Malaysia, Russia, South Africa, Jamaica and Hong Kong. The European Union, which already bans most U.S. beef because of fears about growth hormones, has said it would not take any additional measures.

Canada doesn't plan to broaden its limited ban on some beef imports from the United States

Do you Canada is taking a softer stand because of the problems we had this summer when the US ban importing Canadian beef , 1 cow tested +ive

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't really know whether I will continue to eat beef as well as any other type of meat. I've been contemplating for a while on becoming a vegetarian. Well, a semi-vegetarian, because I will always love chicken breast. Hollywood doesn't really enjoy meat all like most people do. After a while of eating or seeing it, meat kinda disgusts me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts