Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I over tightened it last night, so it snapped.

Should I take it to the dealer? should I fix it myself?

Caddy has 31k miles in it.

Any info is apprecaited. thanx

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
742 Posts
just guessing, but i would doubt a wheel stud would be under warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS, Cadillac Sedan Deville
60 Posts
I have a GMPP warranty. 48k miles. wheel studs were not covered. Caddy dealer wanted 700 to replace the entire wheel bearings and studs. It was probably less than 20 dollars to fix at Brake Check, and I still used Caddy for the rent car. I just had the wheel place kidnap it from Caddy and pay for it to be fixed. I recommend getting the studs at a hardware store.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I had a wheel stud snap on my old GTP and it was covered. If a Pontiac is covered, I would assume Cadillac is too. Just pretend you don't know what happened to the stud and that you found it that way.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
FWIW, wheel studs break from being loose not tight. When left loose they flex and break just like a paper clip bent back and forth. A quick examination by an experienced tech will tell the story. The signs are unmistakable. If one stud breaks the adjoining studs should be replaced as well.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, wheel studs break from being loose not tight. When left loose they flex and break just like a paper clip bent back and forth. A quick examination by an experienced tech will tell the story. The signs are unmistakable. If one stud breaks the adjoining studs should be replaced as well.

man, sounds expensive. like how much?

·
Premium Member
28,969 Posts
NASCAR pit crews can fix a broken wheel stud fast enough not to lose a lap on a two mile track. I have no idea what the flat rate is on a CTS.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
How can one of them flex if the other 4 are tight????? You seem well versed, but I have a hard time understanding this (and a few other things).

Those other 4 nuts hold that wheel pretty tight. ????

·
Premium Member
28,969 Posts
One breaks if several are insufficiently tightened. Of course one is the first to break. The adjacent studs are subject to the same bending forces and are partially fatigued. The correct torque value for wheel studs is determined to be sufficient if the strain on the stud never reverses. The wheel nuts can be tight enough to hold the wheel on for a while but if the correct torque vaue has not been reached the studs are still bending back and forth and are subject to metal fatigue.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts

Should I take it to the dealer? should I fix it myself?

Caddy has 31k miles in it.

Any info is apprecaited. thanx
Check your manual. Lug nuts for aluminum wheels should generally be between 85 and 100 lb/ft. My 2004 CTS manual says 100. Call your local dealer(s) and ask about warranty coverage anonymously - then you'll know. Dealers may vary on whether they cover it.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
One breaks if several are insufficiently tightened. Of course one is the first to break. The adjacent studs are subject to the same bending forces and are partially fatigued. The correct torque value for wheel studs is determined to be sufficient if the strain on the stud never reverses. The wheel nuts can be tight enough to hold the wheel on for a while but if the correct torque vaue has not been reached the studs are still bending back and forth and are subject to metal fatigue.
You are so bright; I'll bet your parents called you sunny.

Thanks for info.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
When a story starts out like that, it is not warranty.
If it happens in the shop using a torque wrench, or the like, then it can be done under warranty.
If the incredible Hulk changes your tire, or you leave the nuts loose and drive the car and they break... not so much.

They are fairly easy to change out and no it shouldn't take long unless you have to remove the hub to service it (depending on the suspension design).
Parts stores and dealers should have some of those in stock.

Koz is right, if you leave them all loose and one breaks, replace them all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts