Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Currently own a 2015 SRX, original owner, with 75K miles. We recently had the car in at the dealership (because I goofed up reprogramming a 2nd fob!) and they took the liberty of giving us a list of recommended items that need attention. They are:

4 x 4 service (not sure what this is?)
brake fluid service
fuel service
MAF sensor cleaning (again, not sure what this is?)
power steering service
transmission service
replace air filter
replace cabin air filter

All to the tune of $1500. My question is, how necessary are some of these things? Which would you recommend need attention? TIA!

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,157 Posts
Hi there, Currently own a 2015 SRX, original owner, with 75K miles. We recently had the car in at the dealership (because I goofed up reprogramming a 2nd fob!) and they took the liberty of giving us a list of recommended items that need attention. They are:

4 x 4 service (not sure what this is?)
brake fluid service
fuel service
MAF sensor cleaning (again, not sure what this is?)
power steering service
transmission service
replace air filter
replace cabin air filter

All to the tune of $1500. My question is, how necessary are some of these things? Which would you recommend need attention? TIA!
I can't answer all those questions as I don't have an SRX, but it looks to me that some of that list can be done by you in your driveway or garage. Fuel service (prob a bottle of Techron), MAF sensor (auto parts stores sell the cleaner), Air filter--really? They want to charge you for replacing the air filter?? Looks to me as their list of items is intended to move money from your hands to theirs.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
546 Posts
Forget them. They call those places the "Stealership" for a reason. This is it. Don't bother with any of it. And if you REALLLLYYYYYY feel something is necessary. Go to your local service garage and ask them if anything is needed for your car. If they say no then there's your answer to what the dealership is doing for you.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
490 Posts
I see this a bit differently. If none of these things have been done or you don't know if or when they have then yes, do them all. Anyone can do most of them in your driveway and there is likely an easy to understand youtube video to show you how it's done. I'm a mechanic but don't mind paying someone else to do certain things.

4 x 4 service (not sure what this is?) - This sounds like transfer case and differential fluids. If so, have it done.
brake fluid service - You need this done every 5 years. Have it done.
fuel service - Do this yourself. Get 2 bottles of this. Amazon.com: Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner - Gas and Injector Additive Treatment - 15 Oz Bottle: Automotive 1 bottle in the gas tank at your next fill-up and 1 bottle at the one after that.
MAF sensor cleaning (again, not sure what this is?) - Do this yourself. Youtube it.
power steering service - Same with this.
transmission service - Pay someone to do it. Doesn't have to be the dealer.
replace air filter - Youtube these last 2 and do them yourself.
replace cabin air filter -

Good luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with DavidH62…a car requires maintenance, take car of your car and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
490 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
100 Posts
Agree with DavidH62, this is a Cadillac and needs to be maintained accordingly.

Power steering flush can be done with a ball hand pump siphon.
Takes about three rounds, siphon, fill, drive. Repeat.
MAF is the Mass Airflow sensor, buy a specific can of MAF spray cleaner for this.
Do this while you are changing the engine air filter.

I am surprised they did not say the throttle body too.
May as well get a can of TB cleaner and do that too while cleaning the MAF!

Dang it! The old second key fob programming gotcha! :confused:

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,081 Posts
I see this a bit differently. If none of these things have been done or you don't know if or when they have then yes, do them all. Anyone can do most of them in your driveway and there is likely an easy to understand youtube video to show you how it's done. I'm a mechanic but don't mind paying someone else to do certain things.

4 x 4 service (not sure what this is?) - This sounds like transfer case and differential fluids. If so, have it done.
brake fluid service - You need this done every 5 years. Have it done.
fuel service - Do this yourself. Get 2 bottles of this. Amazon.com: Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner - Gas and Injector Additive Treatment - 15 Oz Bottle: Automotive 1 bottle in the gas tank at your next fill-up and 1 bottle at the one after that.
MAF sensor cleaning (again, not sure what this is?) - Do this yourself. Youtube it.
power steering service - Same with this.
transmission service - Pay someone to do it. Doesn't have to be the dealer.
replace air filter - Youtube these last 2 and do them yourself.
replace cabin air filter -

Good luck.
After 50 years working at a, what you guys call "stealerships", I was going to stay out of it.

But, to answer the question, "are these things necessary". The answer is only if you want to keep it. Just remember that all fluids need to be changed on a regular basis. Anywhere combustion occurs will be carbon residue buildup and should be cleaned periodically. And, any filter needs to be changed periodically. And the final answer is that, I do these things on my cars on a regular basis and I have never done a major repair on any of my cars(outside of performance and race cars that I abused on the track and such). And I keep my cars 5- 10 years. 4 of our 5 Cadillacs were purchased used.

So, it's up to you as to if these things are necessary.

·
Registered
SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish you all lived next door! I'm not handy with cars under the hood so I have to pay. But good to know whats really involved with some of these things. Thank you!

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
490 Posts
Wish you all lived next door! I'm not handy with cars under the hood so I have to pay. But good to know whats really involved with some of these things. Thank you!
So, where do you live? Someone may be close and would help out with a couple items...

·
Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
100 Posts
You would be amazed at what you can do - if you try.
Anyone can change the Cabin filter, Air filter, and clean the MAF and save hundreds of dollars on the labor!
Parts will only run you about $75

Like everyone says if you google the videos, you realize how straight forward some of these tasks really are.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
819 Posts
all this is recommended in your owners manual at specific intervals - i recommend doing them sooner and more often, you can do most of this yourself, if you dont want to find a good mom and pop shop ( stay away from jiffy lube) you have to ask what's cheaper 1K service cost VS a 6 K transmission exchange? there are lots of posts on doing this DIY - just search for them

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
605 Posts
With the repair costs being much higher if these systems fail, one more vote for having it done. What's $1500 really? Seems pretty cheap to me to keep your Caddy working properly. BTW all of this has been done at my local dealership on schedule and as far as I know our car has never had any issues....ever.

I also take exception with the use of the term stealership. It was funny when I was a teenager, now I know just like with most everything there is good and bad. There are plenty of great dealers around. Not all are crooks. You just need to do some research and find one.

Most auto manufacturers give awards to superior service depts. The Buick dealer I've been using for years has a Dealer of the Year award wall which is literally covered with plaques. Much to my delight they bought out the crappy Caddy dealer a few doors down and now I actually have two great places to go both not far from home.

Do some of this stuff yourself if you feel up to it, but get it done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts