Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered replacement front coil springs for my 2001 STS. The vendor (PartsMonkey) says they are original GM p/n 45H0286.

However, what arrived had no GM markings or part numbers on it. They are 2" taller than my old (20 yr old) springs which I assume it due to age, and diameter is approx the same at 7.25 "

However, the old springs were 4.75 coils in total, the new ones are 6 coils in total. I've stopped work until I can figure out what to do. Did GM change the number of coils in each spring? Does this difference mean they are incompatible? The picture below shows old (left) and new (right)

I'm not sure whether to return them (assuming they are wrong/incompatible) continue with the job. ANy advice appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let's see what others say but certainly GM tries to reduce the number of service parts they carry. It seems like if they did though the PN would have crossed to a new number and not exactly the original number. What was wrong with your originals? The old one pictured looks like a new spring with some mud on the paint other than the bottom first full coil where it looks like the paint is gone.

The only real way to tell if they are equivalent is to place a known load and measure the change in height. Technically it should be done around the installed height so probably not too practical. I'm assuming the wire diameter of both is the same; looks like it but did you measure it? If the coils are the same diameter, the wire is the same diameter, more coils per a given height more than likely the higher coil count will be stiffer (material properties are the only thing left).

Rockauto often has actual photos. You could see if the photos are good enough to count coils. If your car had the correct ride height before you removed the springs I would be tempted to clean and touch-up the originals and use them.

Scott

·
Registered
2001 STS
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
One side (right) spring snapped - 2 coils are broken off. I decided to change the GOOD side first to learn are things are supposed to fit. (From what I read they should be replaced in pairs)

I wonder if the old one could sag by 2" over time? Seems like a lot.

I checked the Rockauto website, and they don't have an exact match for the GM part number. But, their delco spring is "Variable Rate" with approx 5 coils. and "Constant Rate" aftermarket. Is there a big difference in how the perform?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ok understood. If one broke you should definitely change both. I wouldn't worry about the uncompressed height being different. The biggest difference in the ones you bought is likely going to be the spring rate. The new ones will likely be a little stiffer and the ride height will be slightly higher but hopefully very little. That's not due to the uncompressed length but due to the spring rate.

A lot of people like variable rate and a lot of people do not. The idea is they ride like a soft spring most of the time and when the car is pushed they act like a stiffer spring. I don't like them because they can transition harshly during cornering. I tried them on the rear of a car I was auto-crossing and during cornering the soft portion of the travel compressed quickly and the weight transfer against what felt like a hard stop was abrupt. The feel of predictable was suddenly stopped and almost felt as if the back was sliding and suddenly hit a curb. That's extreme because most people don't auto-x.

It would be best if someone on the site has tried exactly the replacement and could comment but if not and I was in your situation I would probably return the ones you bought and I would try the Delco 5 coil version. Before you do that though click on the "info" tab in Rockauto and see if the wire diameter and coil diameter are listed. If they are the same as your originals the Delco part should be the closest.

Scott

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,976 Posts
I ordered replacement front coil springs for my 2001 STS. The vendor (PartsMonkey) says they are original GM p/n 45H0286.

However, what arrived had no GM markings or part numbers on it. They are 2" taller than my old (20 yr old) springs which I assume it due to age, and diameter is approx the same at 7.25 "

However, the old springs were 4.75 coils in total, the new ones are 6 coils in total. I've stopped work until I can figure out what to do. Did GM change the number of coils in each spring? Does this difference mean they are incompatible? The picture below shows old (left) and new (right)

I'm not sure whether to return them (assuming they are wrong/incompatible) continue with the job. ANy advice appreciated.

View attachment 598960
==========================
these are NOT the original - specific FE3 - SPORT SUSPENSION - springs for the STS model Seville -
those springs were discontinued MANY years ago -
and I'd say you have a ZERO chance of EVER finding a new set -

the set you ordered are the generic Seville springs -

personally - I prefer the MOOG 60230 -
AMAZON sells them for $75USD - don't know what shipping to Canada would cost -

·
Registered
2001 STS
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
==========================
these are NOT the original - specific FE3 - SPORT SUSPENSION - springs for the STS model Seville -
those springs were discontinued MANY years ago -
and I'd say you have a ZERO chance of EVER finding a new set -

the set you ordered are the generic Seville springs -

personally - I prefer the MOOG 60230 -
AMAZON sells them for $75USD - don't know what shipping to Canada would cost -
That explains it. Since these are at least compatible I may as well install them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,382 Posts
I had put the rear Moog ones on a few years ago and the ride height was wrong. I don't remember the part number, only that the back end was very high and that the auto leveling never came on. I needed up going to a junk yard and finding some that looked to be in better shape than my originals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts