Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think this is pretty much my situation. My experience with forums that were migrated to Xenforo from other older (but very familiar) forums software is that it is like putting a square peg into a round hole. It can be done, but requires a lot of hammering, both to the Xenforo software itself to make it behave and display in a more familiar way, and to the user community to try to get them to understand this very different way of thinking. Cricket's post just above on how to set a custom filter is a good example of that (no disrespect to Cricket, who has always been extremely helpful throughout). That process as described cannot be considered in any way intuitive or user-friendly and I don't think it is reasonable to expect many users to do what is described. It is good to know from the example you provided that it is indeed possible to make Xen behave in a more acceptable manner. Whether this forum will ever get there remains an open question.
Yes. From a user perspective, the previous software (usually a Vbb), wasn't broken. It may have been old, but it wasn't broken. So why fix it? They're selling us on all these new features, which is/can be nice, but I wasn't craving them.

And like you say, trying to figure out this whole new setup... It isn't intuitive.

·
Administrator
2,286 Posts
Yes. From a user perspective, the previous software (usually a Vbb), wasn't broken. It may have been old, but it wasn't broken. So why fix it? They're selling us on all these new features, which is/can be nice, but I wasn't craving them.

And like you say, trying to figure out this whole new setup... It isn't intuitive.
Unfortunately, it was a change that really did need to be made.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Admin, your last paragraph says a lot; never thought of that aspect. Thanks for that input.
I'm getting used to the new forum now, so I'll apologise for being an ass about it.
Old dog and new trick thing, you know!

·
Administrator
2,286 Posts
Admin, your last paragraph says a lot; never thought of that aspect. Thanks for that input.
I'm getting used to the new forum now, so I'll apologise for being an ass about it.
Old dog and new trick thing, you know!
I am definitely an old dog when it comes to new tricks, but with time, I am finding I am adjusting well to this change.

- Cricket

·
2017 ATS 3.6 Premium
228 Posts
Not so much here. I really don't like the look of it at all and the inscrutable things that are necessary to make it behave are far too complicated. I think that the site Rudy linked to shows that a Xen site can be tamed to make it much easier to live with than this one currently is. Hopefully this one can get there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Again, take at a look at the Chicago Garage I linked before. It too switched from Vbb to Xen. We tamed it. It's easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to use, and still has all these new features here, as well as a few more. That is how it should be done. As I have said before (as well as on the several other websites I frequent that VS moved to this layout), it is a visual nightmare and things that were easy to do, execute or manipulate in Vbb, are not intuitive, easy or logical in Xen. Plain and simple. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. I get back to my point earlier, it wasn't broken on the user side, so why try to reinvent it and fix it? I get that on the admin side things were becoming difficult, fix that, but leave the user side of it alone.

As to the security element, I guess I don't understand that. I don't have anything in any of my profiles that would be "sensitive." There are no credit cards on file, bank accounts, addresses, telephone numbers, names of myself, wife, or kids, etc...

·
Administrator
2,286 Posts
Again, take at a look at the Chicago Garage I linked before. It too switched from Vbb to Xen. We tamed it. It's easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to use, and still has all these new features here, as well as a few more. That is how it should be done. As I have said before (as well as on the several other websites I frequent that VS moved to this layout), it is a visual nightmare and things that were easy to do, execute or manipulate in Vbb, are not intuitive, easy or logical in Xen. Plain and simple. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. I get back to my point earlier, it wasn't broken on the user side, so why try to reinvent it and fix it? I get that on the admin side things were becoming difficult, fix that, but leave the user side of it alone.

As to the security element, I guess I don't understand that. I don't have anything in any of my profiles that would be "sensitive." There are no credit cards on file, bank accounts, addresses, telephone numbers, names of myself, wife, or kids, etc...
They did a nice job and we will get there with our custom platform.

Tell Mook and Jack that The Pun says "Hi". I am from Chicago and got a feeling we know each other from back in the day.

Jeff M

21 - 29 of 29 Posts