Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That don't suck?

I don't get how a forum software firm can get it so wrong.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,900 Posts
I'd opine that most, if not all, of his problems of 2 days ago were solved by the reinstatement of the "Start Discussion" tabs in the correct positions on and within forums.

Read his thread of 6 days ago - "Strange new issue......".

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I, and I'm sure many others just don't like the layout as well as the old one. I liked text and buttons to click rather than icons that I have to guess what they mean. Not intuitive at all anymore.
I also miss the advanced search function.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
I, and I'm sure many others just don't like the layout as well as the old one. I liked text and buttons to click rather than icons that I have to guess what they mean. Not intuitive at all anymore.
I also miss the advanced search function.

Well if you click on the that icon, it displays options like Popular threads and New posts. I'm not sure if it needs more explaining than that.

The pencil icon means to create a new discussion anywhere on the forum that allows you to post. We are fixing up the permission issues on the forum right now.

Lee

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 Performance Premium
232 Posts
View attachment 571753
Well if you click on the that icon, it displays options like Popular threads and New posts. I'm not sure if it needs more explaining than that.

The pencil icon means to create a new discussion anywhere on the forum that allows you to post. We are fixing up the permission issues on the forum right now.

Lee
Well, let me offer you my take on that.

I suspect "Popular" is not a very popular choice for most members. Why should I care if a bunch of people are posting about something that I have zero interest in? This isn't Twitter.

The same would apply to New Posts and Looking for Replies. Most members, I suspect, are interested in a much more targeted experience. As an ATS owner, I can't offer much help to an XT5 owner, nor am I interested in what they post, for the most part.

While Gallery seems to be pretty straightforward, I suspect most members have no idea what a Showcase is. And in any event, new additions of either will likely be of minimal interest to most given that most members have model-specific interests.

It strikes me that this configuration has badly missed the mark in being set up for how most members actually use the site.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts

I suspect "Popular" is not a very popular choice for most members. Why should I care if a bunch of people are posting about something that I have zero interest in? This isn't Twitter.

The same would apply to New Posts and Looking for Replies. Most members, I suspect, are interested in a much more targeted experience. As an ATS owner, I can't offer much help to an XT5 owner, nor am I interested in what they post, for the most part.

While Gallery seems to be pretty straightforward, I suspect most members have no idea what a Showcase is. And in any event, new additions of either will likely be of minimal interest to most given that most members have model-specific interests.

It strikes me that this configuration has badly missed the mark in being set up for how most members actually use the site.
It will take time to learn some of the new functions. We continue to post information on updates as well as try to answer every thread we are asked questions about how this or that functions or where to find an item users where accustomed to. The hope is users will take the time to explore and use more of the site and help us with more feedback to keep making improvements.
-Philip

·
-Administrator-
66,900 Posts
Greg_B echoes the attitude of many of the newer model members - interested only in their particular vehicle.

I happen to like the Popular and New Posts listings - it's a quick snapshot of what's going on where.

Many members - not all - prefer to remain in their own little world and so have no interest in what the rest of the site is doing, or in its wealth of information. I'm getting used to hopping from Seville to Community to Lounge to STS to Guidelines to CTS - because it all intrigues me. As all y'all groom the site to become what the majority wants it to be, then everyone will profit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Greg_B echoes the attitude of many of the newer model members - interested only in their particular vehicle.

I happen to like the Popular and New Posts listings - it's a quick snapshot of what's going on where.

Many members - not all - prefer to remain in their own little world and so have no interest in what the rest of the site is doing, or in its wealth of information. I'm getting used to hopping from Seville to Community to Lounge to STS to Guidelines to CTS - because it all intrigues me. As all y'all groom the site to become what the majority wants it to be, then everyone will profit.
Well, to the point, look at what I, a 2-time ATS owner, get to see as "Popular":

Our Top Forums Full Forum Listing →

Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discus
New members, please take a moment to introduce yourself. Discuss any topic that doesn't already have an area or specific vehicle forum designated for it. Please do not discuss politics, gender, race, religion topics in the Lounge.

Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007
Forum for discussions regarding the Sigma-based Cadillac CTS.

Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum
Forum for discussions regarding the past Seville and Eldorado.

2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion
Discuss everything about the first generation Cadillac CTS-V that does NOT fall into either the Performance or Appearance Modification category.

Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:1985-1992
Forum for discussions regarding the front wheel drive 1985 to 2005 DeVille,1985-1992 Fleetwood and 1993 Sixty Special.

Aside from the Lounge, which I have never frequented, why would I either want to post anything in forums dealing with a vehicle I have zero experience or knowledge of, or any interest in reading about? Yet this is what the new forums structure seems to want to emphasise. It makes no sense to me.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
Well, to the point, look at what I, a 2-time ATS owner, get to see as "Popular":

Our Top Forums Full Forum Listing →

Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discus
New members, please take a moment to introduce yourself. Discuss any topic that doesn't already have an area or specific vehicle forum designated for it. Please do not discuss politics, gender, race, religion topics in the Lounge.

Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007
Forum for discussions regarding the Sigma-based Cadillac CTS.

Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum
Forum for discussions regarding the past Seville and Eldorado.

2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion
Discuss everything about the first generation Cadillac CTS-V that does NOT fall into either the Performance or Appearance Modification category.

Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:1985-1992
Forum for discussions regarding the front wheel drive 1985 to 2005 DeVille,1985-1992 Fleetwood and 1993 Sixty Special.

Aside from the Lounge, which I have never frequented, why would I either want to post anything in forums dealing with a vehicle I have zero experience or knowledge of, or any interest in reading about? Yet this is what the new forums structure seems to want to emphasise. It makes no sense to me.
top forums are built by an algorithm that counts the over all page views.
-Philip

·
-Administrator-
66,900 Posts
Just goes to show that the ATS is either not "popular" or has very few problems. "Popular" has nothing to do with whether or not the GPOP likes a model.

You could change the link title to something like "Most watched forums". Whoopeee!!!

·
Registered
2003 Deville Gold Coast Edition, 2007 DTS Performance
12 Posts
I know of another forum like this and am registered there as well. You will have to do a search for it though because it would be disrespectful to the staff of this forum to announce it here.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts

Let me follow up on that popular option that you mentioned not being in tuned to what you're interested in. So most new cars you buy, I assume that you would adjust the seats and mirrors to fit your height and structure.
It does take a little work (like 2 minutes) but you can go to the forums that you're interested in and "follow" them. Then use the filter here to narrow down what you want to see in the new posts.

Lee

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your image here (as well as in the other admin post about signature options which is closed to replies) are broken and do not show. It says only that they are waiting for approval. Once I get a chance to see what you posted maybe I can respond.

·
Super Moderator 2011 CTS SportWagon
2011 CTS SportWagon
9,503 Posts
I know of another forum like this and am registered there as well. You will have to do a search for it though because it would be disrespectful to the staff of this forum to announce it here.
More disrespectful than this thread?

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
Your image here (as well as in the other admin post about signature options which is closed to replies) are broken and do not show. It says only that they are waiting for approval. Once I get a chance to see what you posted maybe I can respond.
There was a bug with images last week. This should be resolved now.

- Cricket

·
Registered
232 Posts
View attachment 571997
Let me follow up on that popular option that you mentioned not being in tuned to what you're interested in. So most new cars you buy, I assume that you would adjust the seats and mirrors to fit your height and structure.
It does take a little work (like 2 minutes) but you can go to the forums that you're interested in and "follow" them. Then use the filter here to narrow down what you want to see in the new posts.

Lee
Now that I can see the image that was attached, I am still in the dark because I went into my Profile and could not find any screen that looked like that. How do you navigate to that one?

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,413 Posts
I think the OP, much like myself, and others who have posted in the other threads pertaining to this new layout dropped on us, DON'T LIKE IT! It isn't just this board. It has now infected other boards I frequent, namely LS1GTO, Chrysler mini-van fan forum, G8Board, and a few others that I know of like Colorado forums, Dodge Charger, etc... Basically anything Vertical Scope owns, they rolled out this canned format, and this canned format stinks. That isn't disrespect. It's members being honest.

The software can be changed. Our local board, The Chicago Garage is also converting to this new Xenforo software, but they are watching this disaster unfold here and on those aformentioned sites, and making sure that as they implement it, it is still clean, legible, and usable to the members. Not this.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
Now that I can see the image that was attached, I am still in the dark because I went into my Profile and could not find any screen that looked like that. How do you navigate to that one?
Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Forum Section.
You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum".

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward-pointing arrow and then select “New Posts” from the drop-down menu.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default. Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the OP, much like myself, and others who have posted in the other threads pertaining to this new layout dropped on us, DON'T LIKE IT! It isn't just this board. It has now infected other boards I frequent, namely LS1GTO, Chrysler mini-van fan forum, G8Board, and a few others that I know of like Colorado forums, Dodge Charger, etc... Basically anything Vertical Scope owns, they rolled out this canned format, and this canned format stinks. That isn't disrespect. It's members being honest.

The software can be changed. Our local board, The Chicago Garage is also converting to this new Xenforo software, but they are watching this disaster unfold here and on those aformentioned sites, and making sure that as they implement it, it is still clean, legible, and usable to the members. Not this.
I think this is pretty much my situation. My experience with forums that were migrated to Xenforo from other older (but very familiar) forums software is that it is like putting a square peg into a round hole. It can be done, but requires a lot of hammering, both to the Xenforo software itself to make it behave and display in a more familiar way, and to the user community to try to get them to understand this very different way of thinking. Cricket's post just above on how to set a custom filter is a good example of that (no disrespect to Cricket, who has always been extremely helpful throughout). That process as described cannot be considered in any way intuitive or user-friendly and I don't think it is reasonable to expect many users to do what is described. It is good to know from the example you provided that it is indeed possible to make Xen behave in a more acceptable manner. Whether this forum will ever get there remains an open question.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts