Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS AWD LUX 3.0
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just joined the forum, have had several Caddy's in years past, 2000 Catera, 2003 CTS and 2005 STS. Decided tp go back to Caddy's again and bought a 2012 CTS AWD Luxury 3.0, and was wondering on peoples thoughts on a fog light kit if it was worth doing, I see a lot of work involved was looking for a simple install (non oem) solution that gives good lighting and not terribly expensive to install. Also interested in opinions on K&N air filter for a 3.0 V6 if its worth the investment.

Thanks

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Don't know about the fog kit, but there are plenty of threads here on the topic.

Welcome to the forum, read and you will have knowledge!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,086 Posts
First, welcome aboard!

Second, no. I don't believe fogs help in the lighting department much if at all. As for the K&N, save your money. If you are set on one, I believe you can get the filter for your standard air box.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
I have a K&N air filter for my airbox. Not seeing any gain, but it saves money because it is reusable.

I think a lot of members will say that aftermarket intake is waste of money because the factory design is efficient.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,723 Posts
I have a K&N air filter for my airbox. Not seeing any gain, but it saves money because it is reusable.

I think a lot of members will say that aftermarket intake is waste of money because the factory design is efficient.
Please don't start that debate again...I have a K&N filter only. I had to find it under '13 model (no diff). As for the fog lights, the factory on mine are useless. it lights up the ground under the nose of the car, what use is that. Unless you plan on installing an upgrade lighting that actually helps your vision....go for it.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,086 Posts
Please don't start that debate again...I have a K&N filter only. I had to find it under '13 model (no diff). As for the fog lights, the factory on mine are useless. it lights up the ground under the nose of the car, what use is that. Unless you plan on installing an upgrade lighting that actually helps your vision....go for it.
And as I said earlier: "I don't believe fogs help in the lighting department much if at all. As for the K&N, save your money. If you are set on one, I believe you can get the filter for your standard air box."

Just don't spend the money. Two votes.

Reactions: wcthunder

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Regarding fog lights, the fog is usually more transparent just above the ground. This is why fog lights are located as low as possible. Maybe you will not see much more than ground, but you will be more visible to others, what makes you safer.
Installation of fog lights makes sense only if you drive a lot outside the city at the evening or early morning.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,372 Posts
My fog lights work well for me. The headlights do not light the part of the road immediately in front of the car, and the fog lights catch this couple of feet. Now, it's not like I need that part of the road well lit alot, but when I'm dodging something on the road at night, I want every inch lit up right to the point where I can't see it anymore. After this winter, the pothole slalom is pretty intense at night.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
I do not find our OEM foglights helpful at all. The output is just not enough. And because I have to turn it on manually everytime, I never use it.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
Our foglights are worthless. Oh, wait, they look cool, I forgot.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
That's NOT your foglight you old fart, IT'S YOUR TURN SIGNAL!! Turn it off, you made that turn 5 miles ago! :stirpot: LOL

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
No one, I repeat, no one in the state of Florida uses their turn signal. It's as if turn signals were an expensive, extra cost item that people just don't buy. It is so damn annoying. And so are our fog lights.

By the way, our cars have a reminder when you are dumb enough to keep your turn signal on for less than 5 miles. Try it (really).

Reactions: HurstGN

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
No one, I repeat, no one in the state of Florida uses their turn signal. It's as if turn signals were an expensive, extra cost item that people just don't buy. It is so damn annoying. And so are our fog lights.

By the way, our cars have a reminder when you are dumb enough to keep your turn signal on for less than 5 miles. Try it (really).
I will have to try it...if it's a chime, I'm too old to hear it :)

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
No one, I repeat, no one in the state of Florida uses their turn signal.
That is due to the influence of all those drivers who come from big cities like Chicago, etc. where you get one blink of the turn signal (maybe) as the guy in the next lane over suddenly and miraculously squeezes his Town Car into the fifteen feet between you and the car you're following.

Makes me nostalgic for the times when I was a kid growing up in Clearwater (one of Heavens waiting rooms) and folks would switch on their turn signal a block or so before actually turning. Sometimes they wouldn't even turn. Just keep rolling on down the road in the left lane with the right turn signal flashing.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts

I can confirm this, scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. I think I was trying to get over on the express way and of course dbag chicago drivers would not let me over. First thing I thought was engine light?!? Flashback to my jag ownership :suspense:

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
The chime is the same as the low fuel warning. I wondered what the heck that was about until I figured it out about half the state later (just kidding).

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,723 Posts
:highfive:

----------

the problem with the newer models is that the headlights brightness is much, much brighter than the "fog lights/Driving" lights, which renders them useless. If I'm driving, say 50 mph (it happens sometimes, hehe) and I have to depend on my fog/driving lights to see something to avoid...consider it hit!!! lol

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
The chime is the same as the low fuel warning. I wondered what the heck that was about until I figured it out about half the state later (just kidding).
I was wondering is there any fuel empty warning or just game over when fuel level indicator will reach zero. Taking into consideration weight of the car I didn't check it yet. Worse is that, sometimes I don't have any sound if I behave "unpredictable" (go out, turn of engine, go back I don't know exactly in which combination). ;)

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts
I was wondering is there any fuel empty warning or just game over when fuel level indicator will reach zero. Taking into consideration weight of the car I didn't check it yet. Worse is that, sometimes I don't have any sound if I behave "unpredictable" (go out, turn of engine, go back I don't know exactly in which combination). ;)
Not only that, but the nav equipped trims have a notification that automatically pops up in the screen and gives you directions to the nearest gas station :)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Not only that, but the nav equipped trims have a notification that automatically pops up in the screen and gives you directions to the nearest gas station :)
Don't you have to have the screen up for that to work?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts