Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of "label worship" among young friends and I wonder if having a certain designer label is really worth the extra cost or is it just a way of saying "I've arrived?"

Is a Lacoste polo shirt really worth its' almost double price tag verses an L L Bean or Land's End? Is there relly a quality difference?

Does it make a difference as to how you feel about a shirt whether you buy it at a deartment store or a discount store like Ross?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
Can we apply the analogy to "Luxury" cars ? ......... a 5 year old depreciated Cadillac seems, to many, to be a way of "arrival".

People don't buy the garment; they buy the label. (and you can buy Izod - or just about anything else - at "factory outlets" dirt cheap..)

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Can we apply the analogy to "Luxury" cars ? ......... a 5 year old depreciated Cadillac seems, to many, to be a way of "arrival".

People don't buy the garment; they buy the label. (and you can buy Izod - or just about anything else - at "factory outlets" dirt cheap..)
Literally took the words out of my mouth.

I wear Ralph Lauren polo's because they are comfortable and very durable. Mom always got them for me on sale and I've had my oldest one for about 7 years now and it still looks great.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
To those that wear them, it matters. To those that don't wear them, it doesn't matter. Easy peasy, mystery solved.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
For the most part, designer labels are mainly a status symbol. Especially nowadays when most stuff is made in China anyway. This isn't new. It was a big deal when I was growing up and I suspect much older than that.

Though I do believe that designer labels became more common in the 70's, I'm sure that generations before had to have certain brand items too. Certain brand saddle shoes in the 50's, certain brand zoot suit in the 40's, certain brand Trousseau in the 30's, certain brand raccoon tail in the 20's, ............. certain brand repeater rifle in the 1870's ........

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
A brand name often tells a lot but not always what the buyer thinks it does. Value, extravagance, workmanship, sources, etc. but the accuracy & opinions vary.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
1,299 Posts
I wear Wal-Mart brand cloths because i don't see the need in spending all that money to be cool and hip. Only time i buy something that is branded and costs more is boots and Military cloths.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,715 Posts
Like anything else, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I have bought my share of both excellent name brands and Wally world cheapies. now I have narrowed my purchases to this.

Walmart-Target and the like.....Only off the $3.00 or 80% off rack. OK...might go to $5 but no higher.

I find they wear out much quicker than slightly higher quality stuff. At that price they are still a bargain.
Also find I have to try them on first. Sizing is all over the map on cheap stuff.

Resale shops........Where I get about half the clothes I own. I avoid Goodwill. In our town it is stinky, disorganized and junkie, perhaps others are better. Several years ago Savers opened in our area (National?). They are well kept and have a lot of clothes donated by major stores still with tags. I have gotten many great, big name designer label stuff there. Also many good independent shops. $.99-$7.00.

Wears well, fits great, never any of the cheap clothes problems. (Buttons coming off, button holes so loose they come open, wrinkling, and shrunken stitching causing collars and plackets to curl up.) Worth at least twice what I pay for them, or half of the retail price IMO.

The only brand name label that I intentionally buy regularly is Duluth Trading Company. (Similar to Carhart) Retails for around $45 pants, $30 shirt, $100 coats out of the fire hose material.

I wear the "H" out of them. My work is really hard on clothes, one of the reasons I look for really cheap stuff. With these, I can beat them up and never worry. My oldest pair is three years old now and just starting to show some wear at cuffs and knees. After probably being at work 2 days a week continually. I am lucky to also have a factory outlet where catalog returns and seconds are sold at about half price. That puts them at about the price of Levi's or Wranglers which, when I was buying them, were good for 6 to 9 months.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
To a certain point, fitment and comfort improve greatly as you go up in price. Best jeans I've ever owned are a $50 pair of Polos although the $10 Mossimos I got at Target are 60% as good for 20% of the price. I'm not into those $100-200 pairs of Sevens and Luckys.

I always have my favorite jackets, shirts, and jeans tailored. When they start to show signs of wear I have them mended.

Like luxury cars, it's best to buy used or hold out for a big discount rather than walking in the front door, heading to the splashy display rack, and paying full retail.

I see no value in Lacoste. I get a lot of quality and daily usability from Ralph Lauren. The Macy's store brand (Club Room) is amazing for men's sweaters. Some of Macy's Club Room ties and shirts are made in the USA too. Dillard's Roundtree and Yorke is great for sharp-looking button-down shirts, especially if you check the clearance rack and spend $10-$15.

If you shop carefully, you can look and feel like a million bucks for Wal-Mart money.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
I seem to remember this subject from a while back... :hmm:

I can't say I've never bought anything solely for the label, but for the most part I choose my clothes based on the fit, quality, and design. Most of what I wear comes from Buckle because their BKE brand jeans and Buckle Black brand shirts look amazing, they're really strong and durable, and they fit me as if they were made just for me. Their clothes are absolutely perfect for me in every way, so I am totally willing to pay $100 for jeans and $50 for a shirt. My two other preferred stores are TJ Maxx and Nordstrom Rack. Sure, if you can find a pair of $30 Levi's or Lee's that are built as well, fit as well, and look as good as my BKE jeans, I'd buy them in a split second. I've also never seen a pair of Foster Grant sunglasses that are built as well or look as good as my Armanis. I'm a believer in the old "you get what you pay for" saying. There are exceptions though, and when you can find them you're golden. In the end, things are worth what someone will pay for them (as previously mentioned) and everybody's standards are different.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
I can't say I've ever bought an article of clothing solely for the brand name. I came across a Quicksilver shirt, and it, to me, seems no more comfortable (but sturdier) than some of my fruit of the looms. Heck, on that topic, the Izods I have are some of the gentlest shirts I have! One is all holey around the collar. But it is incredibly soft. One of my favorite shirts, as well as the 100% cotton Jeff Gordon Walmart special :D

As far cars, I feel that the luxury marques typically offer better equipment than the more plebian brands.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,172 Posts
I don't buy clothing for the name. For me what is important is that it is on sale & that I am comfortable in the clothes! I do try to buy specific brands because I know the fit.

I did find with dress shirts you do get what you pay for, I like van huessen (not sure on spelling) & arrow brand shirts because they fit me good & are durable, colors last & the fabric looks good after years of use.

For me personally, buying cheepo cologne vs name brand is a different story though...the cheep stuff wears off by the time I get in my car, the name brand stuff (ie Burberry, Calvin Kline, Givenchy, etc) lasts all day.

·
Administrator
68,403 Posts
If you are a cologne/after-shave user, Google "chesapeake bay spyce cologne". Don't know if it's still distributed, but it's darn good stuff......... and not cheap.

·
Administrator
68,403 Posts
.............. ^^^ and for your present cars .............. "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys !"

To each his own .................. (ahem ,) :rolleyes:

(EDIT: Once in a while, even this old Navy sailor slaps on some foo-foo juice.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts