Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS V8
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome on the factory wheels is starting to peel pretty bad on a couple wheels on my 2006 STS. Been looking at some aftermarket alternatives, and found that I really liked the look of the Focal F20 wheels. I see that they weigh a couple pounds more than the stock wheels, with others brand/models being a few pounds lighter, such as the OZ Superleggera wheels...with triple the price tag.

I understand the effect of sprung and unsprung weight on handling, and the difference between the two. I also understand the physics effects of spinning a heavier or lighter mass. What I'm not sure about though is...is 5 pounds one way or the other really a concern with a 4,000lb luxury sedan with 320HP under the hood?

This thing is a daily driver, with a 100 mile round trip commute and I have a sports car in the garage for spirited driving that's more fun to push hard anyways, lol.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,860 Posts
People who obsess over wheel weight changes on a daily driver due to size or brand differences also worry about global warming or Yellowstone blowing up

·
Registered
2006 STS V8
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda had that feeling, lol. I did some googling, but all the hits seemed to be on ricer type forums, who all were nailing the Focals to be stupid heavy wheels. Admittedly, I know OZ makes a fine wheel, and I was running BBSes on another car for a while (mainly for the strength/concentricity aspects), but I was thinking that was going to be extreme overkill on the Cadillac.

Thanks for confirming, Submariner :)

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,860 Posts
Snoop through the catalog for your car in www.wheelcollision.com. They're expensive but the wheel catalog gives you an idea of what was OEM available for the car. Click the little pictures for enlargement.

Their repairs are flawless.

The H-number is from the Hollander master wheel interchange books. Huge volumes, expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 STS V8
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not at all attached to the OEM wheels in any way, lol. I'm attached to chrome _anything_ even less. I would just as soon strip and paint or powder coat before anteing up for OEM style refinishing on these.

I did look at that site, and what they want for ONE wheel is about as much as what three of those Focals would cost me installed, and I think the Focals would look better anyways. I'd gladly toss down another Benjamin to make it a set of four at that point.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC
1,305 Posts
Unsprung weight can substantially affect handling, but as Sub said, is pretty irrelevant for a daily driver. However, if you track your car and can save a couple pounds each on your wheels and tires, it can make a noticeable difference. Far more than the same sprung weight would affect handling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts