Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water pump pulley broke off, idler pulley bearings are shot, black smoke from exhaust when revved up or shut off, EGR system trouble, oil pan gasket and both main seals leak oil, transmission might need to be serviced, and the front right suspension makes a clunk over bumps.

I know it can vary widely, but is there a price range to expect? I won't be paying for it so it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd still like to know.

Thanks,
Patrick
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Spreng said:
Water pump pulley broke off, idler pulley bearings are shot, black smoke from exhaust when revved up or shut off, EGR system trouble, oil pan gasket and both main seals leak oil, transmission might need to be serviced, and the front right suspension makes a clunk over bumps.

I know it can vary widely, but is there a price range to expect? I won't be paying for it so it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd still like to know.

Thanks,
Patrick
How about you sell the car to a junkyard for $1000 and get a car that doesnt need about $1000 worth of work!!!!

Ill estimate everything here, as I dont know a whole lot about parts costs and stuff.....

In order...... $200, $200, $100-$300 (depends on what you need, not just a one thing fix), $150, $600, $600 per seal, $120, $God knows how much......

I can tell you a little about each problem, in order......Probably a new water pump; Youll need new new pulleys (Duh), it could be one or more of the following.... O2 sensors, leaky injectors, bad plugs/wires, etc; The EGR might just be clogged, easy fix, or you might need a new valve; Engine MAY have to be removed to do this, im not sure... If so, it will be substantially more than I said; Again, I dont know if the engine has to be removed to do the f/r seals, probably though since the engine is in sideways; Youll probably need some new shocks, its most likely about time anyway.....

If you budget that, Id think youd be pretty safe....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elwesso said:
How about you sell the car to a junkyard for $1000 and get a car that doesnt need about $1000 worth of work!!!!
I wish I could just sell it to a junkyard...that'd be a lot easier! But My parents gave me the car 4 months ago and agreed to pay for any repairs during the first 6 months. If the repair estimate is expensive, they might just get me a new car. If they do just pay to have the Cadi repaired, I bet afterwards I could sell it for a bit, considering it would run like-new....... I don't need or want a 14-mpg boat right now :(

Thanks for the input!
 

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
Joined
·
6,796 Posts
I think a buddy of mine might have had the seal on a 4.9L replaced and I don't remember it costing all that much. For the smoke my guess is like elwesso's about needing a tuneup or having a bad sensor somewhere. Is the service light on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brougham said:
I think a buddy of mine might have had the seal on a 4.9L replaced and I don't remember it costing all that much. For the smoke my guess is like elwesso's about needing a tuneup or having a bad sensor somewhere. Is the service light on?
The CEL is on, but it gives code P048 for EGR system trouble.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
If your parents are gonna take care of repairs (dang your lucky, if I had them do all the repairs I need to do on mine theyd already be out 2000, with another 1000 to go!!!!!! Thank god for DIY!!!), just take it to the dealer and tell them to replace the stuff that needs fixed......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your parents are gonna take care of repairs (dang your lucky, if I had them do all the repairs I need to do on mine theyd already be out 2000, with another 1000 to go!!!!!! Thank god for DIY!!!), just take it to the dealer and tell them to replace the stuff that needs fixed......
That's what I plan on doing...they asked for a self-estimate, though.

The black smoke from the exhaust started happening when the belt came off the first time. Also a lot of coolant leaked out. When I started the engine and looked under the hood I could smell coolant burning (kinda sweet smell?).

Was able to talk to a guy at the dealer a little bit today...he said a new water pump would be $500, and a couple hundred for the oil pan gasket. Didn't have a chance to talk to him about any of the other problems.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top