Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please review information about this tool at https://www.navtool.com/

Normal pricing is $550. They will sell these for $450 if we can get minimum of 10 people to commit.

Original thread:
https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...294-2008-2013-apple-carplay-android-auto.html

You have to have the touch screen navigation system in your car.

This unit is mostly plug and play and works with your Nav system to add support for apple or android phones.

I will post a list of committed people here and after we get atleast 10 I will see what we need to do to purchase these.

I have an HD (Hard Drive) radio in my car and will be adding Navigation to it. I believe this will only require adding the silver box, screen and new console. (Note that you can likely get a console and just move the top portion over as it looks like they are all pretty similar otherwise. That is what I will be doing with mine since the face of the new piece is badly scratched up.)
If you have the base level radio you are likely better off adding the Tesla style radio as it will require major rewiring of components.

1. Me...
2. Lifespeed
3. NiceGuyEddie

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,001 Posts
I'm in, can't deal with the 1,000 song limit to my music library any longer ;)

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
165 Posts
Please remove me from this list. Need to tackle another issue first.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also posted on *************** so I will be looking there. Seems like there was lots of interest over there too.

So I will try to put up some numbers including that one too.

Rodney

·
Registered
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis
553 Posts
Why not just get a full android head unit?

You don't get locked out of features while in D and given that the headunit is essentially a cellphone PCB in a stereo chassis, you can root it and customize it to your liking. And the units are a bit cheaper. Mine only cost $240, I'd only recommend HU from Joying, Eonon, Eincar or Xtrons they seem to be the most fleshed out. There are a lot of generic HU's though so you gotta be careful and given that almost all of them are based on the same design from one chinese manufacturer and only differ on control/packaging/specs/software.

I don't have my CTS anymore but here is the one I put in the my current car:

It pretty sad that a free navigation app (Magic Earth App) is better then the Navigation I had on the CTS. And the price is way better, free.

If you get the Metra kit you can stuff a 2 DIN in. I think there is even one that emulates the Tesla screen.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread is not about other options but for those interested in purchasing THIS option.

With all other options you lose something... And require installation if you are not familiar how to do it.. This unit is plug and play after some disassembly which is easy to do and doesn't remove any options from the system. Other options are costly as well... Definetly not free... I have a mount for my phone and can plug it into my stereo now and use it to connect to calls and disconnect with the steering wheel but not the same thing...

Rodney

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't have my CTS anymore but here is the one I put in the my current car:

If you have useful information to share regarding options for the CTS head unit please start a thread describing them and add a link to it, most of us are interested in understanding what is out there.

Is your new car a Mercury Grand Marquis?

·
Registered
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis
553 Posts
This thread is not about other options but for those interested in purchasing THIS option.

With all other options you lose something... And require installation if you are not familiar how to do it.. This unit is plug and play after some disassembly which is easy to do and doesn't remove any options from the system. Other options are costly as well... Definetly not free... I have a mount for my phone and can plug it into my stereo now and use it to connect to calls and disconnect with the steering wheel but not the same thing...

Rodney
Is this hardware that is mirroring whats on the phone to the nav screen? If the phone isn't connected does it do anything or go back to the factory nav/stereo screen

If one had a CTS with Navigation what options are really lost going aftermarket? The lower/raise screen, HDD, analog clock and a outdated and criminally overpriced ancient navigation.

Is your new car a Mercury Grand Marquis?
Yes a 1997.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You lose the warning chimes for one.. Assuming they are run off the radio..

You lose bluetooth and onstar for the car unless you have a compatible radio and the proper adapters.

With an after market radio you lose use of your Bose amplifier in the 10 speaker system since it is run via the datastream without a special adapter which I don't know if one even exists.
The 8 channel system uses a more conventional system where the volume on the low level lines control the volume coming out of the radio. I believe the tesla radio will work in this environment but I have no personal experience.

So going with an after market radio you will have some not insignificant hidden costs...

This will add support for connecting your phone to your nav system without loosing any functionality of your Nav system. Apparently doesn't do anything without your phone connected. You CAN mirror a device on the HDMI port too. I am considering buying an Android box and putting that in my car so I can have it full time. Then I don't need the video interface which is a different item all together. But then I lose the touch screen and have to go a different route such as a touch pad.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,381 Posts
OK, I'm in.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm it stopped letting me edit the first post. The current rate of interest is not going well...

We are currently up to 4 members if I know how to count and need to have atleast 10.

Rodney

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,133 Posts
Hmm it stopped letting me edit the first post. The current rate of interest is not going well...

We are currently up to 4 members if I know how to count and need to have atleast 10.

Rodney
Current # is 5...

redheadedrod
niceguyeddie
Lifespeed
AJO713
HurstGN

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hmm it stopped letting me edit the first post.
The forum software is not the greatest . . . Hopefully a few more will step in. I'm sure many of us find the existing radio rather limiting, but that doesn't necessarily translate to many folks willing to step up with $$. One thing I have learned is that as cars get older people becoming less and less willing to spend any money on them. I guess this makes sense at some level, but less so in the context of a car that is a "keeper", as opposed to the econobox you drive and maintain (modestly) until you throw it away.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts