Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out to VIR today (and will be returning tomorrow), sorry for not being able to hook that discount up for those that responded, but the event ended up being sold out. That said, I was still the only V at the track out of the 120+ cars there.

Short Answer:
I love it!

Long Answer:
Coming from a 100hp mazda miata into a V was a totally different experience. It is ridiculously quick and can hold its own with many a vette (although they seem to hold corners a tad better ;) the miata was pretty good too). A guy in a ZR-1 came up to me after a couple sessions and complemented me on the car and said he was amazed at how fast it was. I was amazed at how very few people knew what a V was. Almost all were surprised it was a 6-spd. My favorite pass was when I got to overtake an M5 (2002 body style). I also got to pass a ferrari 355, but it wasnt as fulfilling since the driver wasnt pushing it at all.

If I was running on new tires, I could enjoy the handling a bit more and perhaps so higher topends, mine are down to the wear line now. Still, I was impressed at how well it handles, especially at high speeds, VIR is a fast track and the uphill essess are a blast in this. Definitely doesnt feel like a 4-dr. The torque is amazing and just shoots you out of corners and climbs hills so quickly. I'm used to a momentum car, so these attributes are new to me.

It makes me want a C6 Z06 though.... there are at least 3 of them in my group and are astoundingly agile and FAST. Where's my maggie?

Issues:
Engine Oil Temp light came on after 10min and was really annoying the rest of the session. I had this issue earlier and the dealer assured me that it was a fault in the sensor that they dont have a fix for. Probably wouldnt be so bad if it didnt beep.

Fuel warning came on after my engine shut down from fuel starvation. Anyway, I had it hesitate a couple times after coming out of turns, I checked the fuel and it read 1/4 tank. In retrospect this was from the sloshing on the sensor. Well but I didnt put 2 and 2 together and as I came out of a 200 degree right hand turn at the end of the front straight, my engine shut down and, in doing such, killed the power steering at the next corner so I had to pull off and restart. I should have checked BEFORE the session, but I'm not used to having to refuel so soon. The miata would last all day. I restarted it and drove around in 6th gear with the hazards on.

I'm going back tomorrow, hopefully with an in-car cam, but I'm not sure if I can get the mount ready... My friend got some outside shots of it from different spots around the track.

-Rob

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Sounds like fun can't wait to see the videos posted.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah...I saw that in C&D. I'd like to see some lap times...just to get idea of what a V is like there. I'm sure you're no Michael Andretti, but whatever, We'll forgive you. ;)

Yeah I took my V to Buttonwillow out here in California and what a blast! After my TA which wanted to be manhandled, the V was a ballerina out there. I never had any fuel starvation issues but I had heard of V's doing that. Guess I got lucky.

Ladis

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I was there yesterday for the SRT event. We ran the VIR's north track. What a riot. We were hitting 125-130 on the straights but could've easily topped 150mph. The first, second and third turns are a little tight but then there's a great set of esses. I used the rumble strips and made a great blast through there. Then a quick right and then up the blind hill, good fun. The pro's were leaving us like we were standing still. The only way to catch them was to brake late and beat the crap out of the tires. They were so much smoother than us hacks. Great track though. I'd love to go back with my own car. Weather couldn't have been better. Mid 50's, full sun and only a light breeze. :D

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Ape,

I stayed at the lodge Thursday night at trackside. What a great facility! This should look familiar. This is coming off the straight into turn one on the north track. I took this picture from the start tower.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Issues:
Engine Oil Temp light came on after 10min and was really annoying the rest of the session. I had this issue earlier and the dealer assured me that it was a fault in the sensor that they dont have a fix for. Probably wouldnt be so bad if it didnt beep.

Fuel warning came on after my engine shut down from fuel starvation. Anyway, I had it hesitate a couple times after coming out of turns, I checked the fuel and it read 1/4 tank. In retrospect this was from the sloshing on the sensor. Well but I didnt put 2 and 2 together and as I came out of a 200 degree right hand turn at the end of the front straight, my engine shut down and, in doing such, killed the power steering at the next corner so I had to pull off and restart. I should have checked BEFORE the session, but I'm not used to having to refuel so soon. The miata would last all day. I restarted it and drove around in 6th gear with the hazards on.
Rob,
I've been racing an essentially stock 02 Z06 since 2003 and had the opportunity to instruct with the Tarheel club at VIR earlier this year while I was temporary duty to Norfolk. Wish I had a track like that in my back yard.

Couple of comments from my experiences in the Vette.

Oil temp:
I wouldn't discount the oil temp. Does the CTS-V have an oil cooler? Sorry I just bought mine last week and I'm still learning. The stock C5/C5 Z06 does not have an oil cooler and a competent track day driver can get the oil temp to approach 300F in about 15-20 minutes on a road course. Did you have oil temp called up on the DIC? If not, I suggest you monitor that temp when on the track. As an FYI, at 300F a 30 weight oil only has about 30-40% of the viscosity is does at 212F, something which should concern you. For that reason, my Z06 has an oil cooler added and I run a high performance 40 weight oil vice the factory recommended 30 weight when tracking the car.

Fuel consumption:
I could get upwards of 30 mpg in my Z06 on the highway. At most tracks, I typically get 5.0-5.4 mpg!!! If you didn't do it, I suggest reseting your average fuel economy beforing going out on the track and keeping an eye on it during the day. You will definitely need to fuel up frequently at a typical track day.

Tires:
Did you run the stock EMT tires? What most Vette guys end up doing at track days, myself included, is pick up a second set of wheels and putting on more track oriented tires. Tire choices can run the range from DOT track tires such as the Kumho V710s on which I race, to the non-EMT version of the Goodyear F1SC (which is a pretty decent dry tire). Which way they go usually depends on whether they drive to the track or not. I would not drive to the track on DOT track tires. Though they are legal, they really aren't designed for the hazards of the street. But there are several good intermediate choices out there such as the Toyo Proxes RA-1 which can safely handle the drive to the track, then outperform a typical street tire by a couple seconds a lap at most tracks.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
If you'd run the non-EMT F1s for a C5/C6 on the track, what makes the EMT F1s any less suitable?

Especially since, given the added weight of the V, the extra sidewall stiffness of the EMT would surely increase handling (assuming that the sidewall stiffness is the only difference between the EMT and non-EMT versions).

Unless you were referring to the RS-As, then nevermind. Though I doubt that anyone that would even think about tracking their Vs would have run that tire.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
Ape... you didn't mention what year your V is. If it's an '04, there is a bulletin on a software upgrade to fix incorrect oil temp readings.

Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you get some shots posted.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Rob,
I've been racing an essentially stock 02 Z06 since 2003 and had the opportunity to instruct with the Tarheel club at VIR earlier this year while I was temporary duty to Norfolk. Wish I had a track like that in my back yard.

Oil temp:
I wouldn't discount the oil temp. Does the CTS-V have an oil cooler? Sorry I just bought mine last week and I'm still learning. The stock C5/C5 Z06 does not have an oil cooler and a competent track day driver can get the oil temp to approach 300F in about 15-20 minutes on a road course. Did you have oil temp called up on the DIC? If not, I suggest you monitor that temp when on the track. As an FYI, at 300F a 30 weight oil only has about 30-40% of the viscosity is does at 212F, something which should concern you. For that reason, my Z06 has an oil cooler added and I run a high performance 40 weight oil vice the factory recommended 30 weight when tracking the car.

Fuel consumption:
I could get upwards of 30 mpg in my Z06 on the highway. At most tracks, I typically get 5.0-5.4 mpg!!! If you didn't do it, I suggest reseting your average fuel economy beforing going out on the track and keeping an eye on it during the day. You will definitely need to fuel up frequently at a typical track day.

Tires:
Did you run the stock EMT tires? What most Vette guys end up doing at track days, myself included, is pick up a second set of wheels and putting on more track oriented tires. Tire choices can run the range from DOT track tires such as the Kumho V710s on which I race, to the non-EMT version of the Goodyear F1SC (which is a pretty decent dry tire). Which way they go usually depends on whether they drive to the track or not. I would not drive to the track on DOT track tires. Though they are legal, they really aren't designed for the hazards of the street. But there are several good intermediate choices out there such as the Toyo Proxes RA-1 which can safely handle the drive to the track, then outperform a typical street tire by a couple seconds a lap at most tracks.
Good info....

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ape,

I stayed at the lodge Thursday night at trackside. What a great facility! This should look familiar. This is coming off the straight into turn one on the north track. I took this picture from the start tower.
Yup, right where the engine cut off, hahaha.

Rob,

Oil temp:
Does the CTS-V have an oil cooler? Sorry I just bought mine last week and I'm still learning. The stock C5/C5 Z06 does not have an oil cooler and a competent track day driver can get the oil temp to approach 300F in about 15-20 minutes on a road course. Did you have oil temp called up on the DIC?

Tires:
Oil Temp: No it doesnt, I heard the same thing from the z06 guys at the track. The DIC went to oil temp automatically, it was >300 sometimes, mostly when downshifting since the rpms went high. I just ignored it because Lindsay said it wasnt a problem.

Ape... you didn't mention what year your V is. If it's an '04, there is a bulletin on a software upgrade to fix incorrect oil temp readings.

Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you get some shots posted.
Yea, I have an '04 and I read the bulliten on it so I brought it to the dealer for that. They said the fix wasnt out yet, but that it was a known issue, not to worry about it.

I'll get those vids as soon as my buddy pulls them off the camera... could be weeks knowing him though.

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
Yea, I have an '04 and I read the bulliten on it so I brought it to the dealer for that. They said the fix wasnt out yet, but that it was a known issue, not to worry about it.
Mine's an '04 and had this problem the first time I took it to the track, took it to the dealer and had it fixed...that was 2 years ago :hmm: Not sure why your dealer says the fix isn't out yet? My concern was that I understood that if the over temp stayed on too long the engine went into limp home mode. Not a good idea going into a corner at high speed :suspense:

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
Mine's an '04 and had this problem the first time I took it to the track, took it to the dealer and had it fixed...that was 2 years ago :hmm: Not sure why your dealer says the fix isn't out yet? My concern was that I understood that if the over temp stayed on too long the engine went into limp home mode. Not a good idea going into a corner at high speed :suspense:
:yeah: Dealer reflashed mine on 8.17.04.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Oil Temp: No it doesnt, I heard the same thing from the z06 guys at the track. The DIC went to oil temp automatically, it was >300 sometimes, mostly when downshifting since the rpms went high. I just ignored it because Lindsay said it wasnt a problem.
I personally did not feel comfortable with my oil temp that high in my Z06 and had an oil cooler installed after I started tracking it. As an FYI to you, an SAE 30 grade oil's viscosity at 300F is about 30-40% of what it is at a normal oil temp of about 212F. This is essentially the same as running a 5w5 oil in your car at daily driving temps, something I'm sure none of you would willingly do.

atdeneve said:
If you'd run the non-EMT F1s for a C5/C6 on the track, what makes the EMT F1s any less suitable?

Especially since, given the added weight of the V, the extra sidewall stiffness of the EMT would surely increase handling (assuming that the sidewall stiffness is the only difference between the EMT and non-EMT versions).

Unless you were referring to the RS-As, then nevermind. Though I doubt that anyone that would even think about tracking their Vs would have run that tire.

Just wondering.
I mentioned the non-EMT version as that was the OEM tire on the C5 Z06 so it is commonly used at track days. Additionally, the non-EMT version of the tire is probably about 2 lbs lighter per tire... and 2 lbs of unsprung rotational weight per corner is not something that will help handling or acceleration despite what little benefit there may be from a slightly stiffer sidewall. That said, most driver's probably wouldn't notice the difference anyways...

If I were buying track tires for the CTS-V, I'd be buying something less expensive than the OEM EMT tires.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V, sold: 2011 CTS-V Sedan, 2004 CTS-V
156 Posts
Mine had the same oil temp issue. Reflashed over 2 years ago and problem went away never to return. You should definitely talk to a different dealer - this fix has been out a long time. It's probably just the computer interpreting the temp sensor that needs a reflash to fix.

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine had the same oil temp issue. Reflashed over 2 years ago and problem went away never to return. You should definitely talk to a different dealer - this fix has been out a long time. It's probably just the computer interpreting the temp sensor that needs a reflash to fix.
I will be fixed shortly. Clerical issue. Its just a calibration though, so I'll really only notice it on hot days and HPDE's. Thanks for the input!

V

·
0 Posts
There was about four of us there one year ago this past Easter. Greg and myself experienced the same fuel starvation in turn one. Mine limped for a half mile or so and Greg had to limp back to the pits and eventually the idle settled down. It was 50F so oil temps never showed up.

Super fast track and the amount of speed that you can carry at the end of the back straight up the hill to the left really takes getting used too.

Glad you had fun!

Norm

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
For my 05 oil temp problem, all it took was an extra ground wire. My dealer said there's no reflash for the ECU/PCM. Now my oil temps read normal. No more eratic oil temps even during some commuting. ;)

Thanks for sharing your VIR experience. Now how am I suppose to schedule a track day across the country? :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts