Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hi STS subforum, I'm seriously considering getting an STS in Europe despite all the contradictory statements about every single aspect of the car.

For the record, I'm looking for a good looking cruiser that does well on bumpy city roads as well as local motorways.

As far as I know, there's only one for sale (in Czech) in the country I happen to live in, but I think it wouldn't be a problem to import one from Germany or whatever, since this one doesn't seem to have ventilated seats and that opened tow hole (or whatever it is) on the front bumper doesn't fill me with confidence.

So what should I look for, common problems and whatnot? The FAQ here doesn't seem to have any.

What car has the most similar ride in terms of firmness/softness? One of the few things I learned from almost every source was that the car has very silent cabin. And that the STS is more comfortable than first or second generation CTS.
Does the MRC improve the comfort? I don't care for cornering that much.
I think I was told here that the N* engine is much more reliable than the V6 (timing chain issues, drinking oil like mad...)

Or would it be worth/better looking for a DTS? They're very rare in EU since they were never officially sold here as far as I know, but they are obtainable from EU used cars markets.

Or considering the price of the STS (~13k), should I look completely elsewhere? The competition I have on list is Chrysler 300M or 2nd gen Sebring (softest ride I've ever driven), Lexus LS430, Jaguar XJ X350 and S-Type, Honda Legend, Saab 9-3 (although that's more of a Cadillac BLS area), Opel Insignia (basically last gen Buick Regal), 4th gen Subaru Legacy, Chevrolet Malibu, and uh... Kia Opirus. I have this huge messy table....

Thanks.

K

·
0 Posts
I don't know what year you are looking at but I have owned my 2008 V6 for seven years, and at 72000 Miles it still looks and drives like new. It is the most reliable and comfortable car I have ever owned. Doesn't use a drop of oil and has had only very minor repairs (all covered under warranty). If it is a 2008 or newer, I think it would be contender at $13K, depending on the condition, mileage and maintenance history.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, now I recall that the 2008 refresh had some notable upgrade of the V6, thanks for reminding me. But it still has limited selection of added options, doesn't it?

By the way, the price is in €, not $ :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right then, turns out there was a change of plans and I can't afford the STS. Oh well, maybe in a few years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any idea what is the badge above the side indicator? Probably something after-market, right?

ss (2015-06-29 at 07.19.22).jpg

And for something completely different - if the MRC fails, can you replace it with regular shocks? And are the infotainment displays for rear seat passengers a factory thing?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so things have moved forward:

I have 4 cars in my sight, all European versions:

2007 STS V8
2008 CTS AWD
And if neither works out, I have 2013 Malibu or some Cruze :/

I'm going to check the STS tomorrow, it's said to have some repaired bodywork damage. Any tips what to look for before I bring an actual technician?
Also, I'm going to check the CTS today, but that's at the biggest used cars dealer in the country, so I assume it's mostly OK. However, is it true that the AWD 3.6 V6 CTS has almost just as bad fuel consumption as the 4.6 V8 STS?

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6 V6 SPORT LUXURY EX 2005 STS 4.6 V8 SPORT LUXURY EU VERSION
204 Posts
Hi aoyagi , from 2010 to 2015 I had a 2004 chrysler 300m 3.5 v6 and now I've purchased a 2005 cadillac sts 4.6 V8 . Are 2 different cars . The 300m is an old style american car , few electronic devices. Brakes with a calipers undersized, suspension and steering soft . Audio system obsolete. Cadillac sts is another world . Brake steering and suspension have high performance. External size are similar but interior space is more in the 300m. I say that cadillac sts is very very better than chrysler 300m. buy sts 4.6 v8 . you can think installer an lpg system for reduce fuel cost

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the cars in OP are off the list. Unfortunately I can't edit it any more.

I used to consider LPG, but I'd rather avoid if if I can help it since mots garages here don't allow LPG cars to enter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update:

I've driven both cars, the STS felt a bit weird, how can you tell the suspension is nearly dead? Maybe it was because [FE3-SUSPENSION SYSTEM SPORT]? All RPOs are here. Also the acceleration felt a bit underwhelming, but that could be because it wasn't me driving and I might have been expecting too much from a comfy car. Also, is it possible that RPO labels are just on a paper sticker, like this? The ones I've seen so far (on photos) looked kinda metallic.

CTS was, as expected, a bit too harsh for my liking. RPOs over there, but a lot of it is missing for some reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts