Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got the very low refrig warning and a/c compressor off message.

I took my a/c tire type gauge and at the dryer im at 50 some pounds which is way too high on the low side.

Why would i get a low pressure warning and have 50 psi in there??

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
We had the same message on our Seville last week. And that after we had let the airco replaced a few weeks ago. So we called the dealer and drove to him. They had the car for two days, and after we called how far the were, they told us we could get it. When we arrived, they said, that they still had to replace a sensor, but that we at least could drive the car. Next week they would have the sensor, and then they would put it in. If there is any news, then I will post it

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Your resetting the codes allowed the compressor to come back on. It will kick off again when it gets low enough to trip the sensor. There is some delay before the sensor trips. Next time it does trip, get you gauges hooked up, reset the codes, turn the a/c on high and check the pressure while the compressor is still running. Same thing when refilling or topping off the refrigerant, got to get the compressor running.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
DutchJ&M said:
We had the same message on our Seville last week. And that after we had let the airco replaced a few weeks ago. So we called the dealer and drove to him. They had the car for two days, and after we called how far the were, they told us we could get it. When we arrived, they said, that they still had to replace a sensor, but that we at least could drive the car. Next week they would have the sensor, and then they would put it in. If there is any news, then I will post it
Well, today we went back to the dealer, cause they had the new sensor.
So we went to them, and let them deal with it.
After an hour we could drive home again. We checked the airco, and it worked.
But after having dinner, we needed to go to a shop in another town, so we drove to that town (approx. 4 miles) and parked the car.

An hour after that we wanted to go home again, but guess what.....
The same f***ing message in the display:crying: and again the car shut down the airconditioning.

Tomorrow (cause it's already evening overhere) that dealer can expect a call :thepan:

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Eldyfig said:
Your resetting the codes allowed the compressor to come back on. It will kick off again when it gets low enough to trip the sensor. There is some delay before the sensor trips. Next time it does trip, get you gauges hooked up, reset the codes, turn the a/c on high and check the pressure while the compressor is still running. Same thing when refilling or topping off the refrigerant, got to get the compressor running.
I think you're spot on with this one, Eldyfig. I've been through the A/C recharge stuff before and this is exactly what I did. You have to check the pressure on the low side with the compressor running. Not only running, but it should be running with the climate control set on its lowest temperature with the highest fan speed.

You have to watch it with the pressure and the temperature of the air moving across the evaporator coil. If the system is not on recirculate and you've got the hood open, dumping lots of very hot air over the evaporator coil, you're going to get artificially high pressure readings. Put it on recirculate and let the system run for a minute or two before you take a pressure reading.

My 2 cents worth anyway... Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
DutchJ&M said:
Well, today we went back to the dealer, cause they had the new sensor.
So we went to them, and let them deal with it.
After an hour we could drive home again. We checked the airco, and it worked.
But after having dinner, we needed to go to a shop in another town, so we drove to that town (approx. 4 miles) and parked the car.

An hour after that we wanted to go home again, but guess what.....
The same f***ing message in the display:crying: and again the car shut down the airconditioning.

Tomorrow (cause it's already evening overhere) that dealer can expect a call :thepan:
The dealer should fix it, sounds like his problem to fix. Might be a leak. What all did the dealer do before he changed the sensor?

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
At first (a month ago) he renewed the compressor, cause the old one looked like it caught fire...lots of smoke comming from under the hood.

Then, two weeks after that, we got a message in the display, that the airco was shut off by the system. So we went back. After 2 days they said that the sensor had to be renewed, and that they would order a new sensor. And today the replaced the old sensor...it gave us 3 hours of enjoying the car and yes, again the same message......

I know, that they should have cleaned the system when they replaced the compressor the first time, but I wasn't standing beside them to see what they were doing.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
DutchJ&M said:
At first (a month ago) he renewed the compressor, cause the old one looked like it caught fire...lots of smoke comming from under the hood.

Then, two weeks after that, we got a message in the display, that the airco was shut off by the system. So we went back. After 2 days they said that the sensor had to be renewed, and that they would order a new sensor. And today the replaced the old sensor...it gave us 3 hours of enjoying the car and yes, again the same message......

I know, that they should have cleaned the system when they replaced the compressor the first time, but I wasn't standing beside them to see what they were doing.
I'm beginning to wonder if they changed the evaporator expansion orfice tube at the same time the compressor was replaced. S.O.P upon R&R compressor is flush system, replace dryer, and evaporator expansion orfice tube(a $2 part).

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
Yesterday we got back from a vacation, during which the car was at the dealer where they had replaced the airco.
As we collected the car in our own town (they have a GM dealer here, that is from the same company. And we had left it there, so that the US-division, located in another town, could get it here)
They had to renew some other parts, and overhere they couldn't tell me a lot. So now it's waiting for us if the airco is now working as it should, without any messages in the display. And if they will try to get more $$$ from us, I think, it will be hard for them to get :lildevil:
If so, I will post it here together with the name of the dealer involved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts