Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you people on this site know anything about pontiac sunbirds or have ever owned one(sorry if you have) because i seem to be having quite a bit of trouble with mine lately.....anything helps.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
my brother had an '80, it sucked, but it looked kind of sporty at the time. What kind of trouble are you having?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I am having all kinds of trouble...I recently had to replace the water pump and radiator. I also noticed that the car sounds like its hesitating to go smooth. It kind of jerks back and forth during acceleration. I dont know what the hell is wrong with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I thought of that too but it doesnt sound like the plugs are mis firing plus, i just put new plugs in in february.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Check the EGR system. The valve may be stuck open or closed, allowing a weird A/F mixture into the cylinders.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Insurance fire?............Just a thought!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I have a co worker that has a sunfire and he had to replace the engine, or at least get it rebuilt due to messed up internals (he doesnt know too much about cars, he just says it dont run no more)

·
Registered
49 Posts
The sunbird was not a very good car overall. The 4cyl technology fronm the general was way off mark in the 80's. The new sunfire (replacement) cannot even be compared with the old sunbird. The sunfire utilizes the 2.4 LD9 twin cam which is a revamped version of the quad 4. This engine is far superior and yes as with all engines there are problems here and there. I would not recommend throwing money into the sunbird for the simple fact that most of it's components are outdated and do not really hold up worth a damn anyways.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The new Sunfires/Caviliers are supposed to be some of the best currently made Chevy cars. This coming from my buddy that works at a dealership.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Junk it! LOL!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I would think the fuel pump, fuel filter or line restricted, and if it still has the cat converter, cut it out, they can plug up. Could even be a collapsed muffler internally causing a restriction?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts