Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year some old man hit my back bumper. I repaired it with some of the spray base coat and clear that can be ordered off the web. I sanded and buffed it. For the summer, it looked pretty good. The winter beat it up really bad and I need to repaint my bumper the correct way. I am going to purchase a cheap HVLP gun and need to pick up a compressor. The idea is to save money and not spend $600 to have the bumper repaired, so a compressor over $200 is going to be a waste.

Will a small portable compressor do the job if I just need to paint the bumper?

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Last year some old man hit my back bumper. I repaired it with some of the spray base coat and clear that can be ordered off the web. I sanded and buffed it. For the summer, it looked pretty good. The winter beat it up really bad and I need to repaint my bumper the correct way. I am going to purchase a cheap HVLP gun and need to pick up a compressor. The idea is to save money and not spend $600 to have the bumper repaired, so a compressor over $200 is going to be a waste.

Will a small portable compressor do the job if I just need to paint the bumper?
If you are just trying to spray some paint on the bumper there are cheap (in both terms of cost and quality) body shops around that will paint your bumper for less than 200$ and even 100$! Try them.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
A small compressor will not do the job. I'm not sure what the volume of air usage is on an HVLP gun is, but you want to be sure the compressor will keep up with it at the recommended pressure. AAMCO was advertising bumpers for $100 not long ago. Ask how they are going to prep it. You might be able to do it with a couple of rattle cans from paintscratch.com, but my buddy just had his done and said that when it was done they baked it. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the rattle can thing last year and when I did it, looked fine. It just doesn't hold up and it really isn't as perfect as I wanted it to be. Maybe I can remove the bumper and do the prep work myself; then have a body shop do the spray for me.

About the compressor, a small one won't keep up with the gun when I am only doing the bumper?

·
Registered
1996 Seville SLS
96 Posts
A HVLP gun will need somewhere between 7-24CFM depending on what you are using. A ~200$ compressor will give you at most 5 CFM @ 40psi.

Now you could look into a LVLP gun.

·
Registered
Seville SLS
8 Posts
Dont use rattle cans please , your bumpers are painted with base coat clear coat you cant get that in a spray can . You can rent a compresser for the day very cheap . There are car painters that do mobile work at car dealers painting bumpers for around $100 each bumper , i would check with a local dealer im sure they can give you a name of a painter to do the work . Most of them will come to your house or business . Base coat paint and hardner plus reducer can cost you well over a $100 just for a quart , so keep that in mind if you want to do the job yourself.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Sevelle
23 Posts
tomfl60's suggestion to find a detailer sounds like a good idea.

I once started out on a car painting job using a cheap Sears gun that was included in my compressor purchase. I kept getting flaws. I was using lacquer so I'd sand off the mistakes and try again. I wasn't getting anywhere. I bought a Binks gun. Bingo. I started laying down nice coats of paint.

About the compressor. I've had my compressor for about 30 years. It's had absolutely no maintenance and still is going strong (knock on wood). It's a 220 volt 20 gallon compressor. Don't remember the cfm rating but it's enough for anything except aggressive media blasting. It's one of the best things I've ever spent my money on. Air tools are really great, fast and powerful. An impact wrench is really the ticket for balky suspension fastners, an air powered cut off wheel to slice through steel, etc. Also, you can pump up your tires at home!

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Be carful when spraying paint. EPA dont like it with out an approved paint booth. Neghbor complaints to EPA could cost you a lot more than a couple hundred bucks, not to mention health issues. You'l need a resperator and painters garb, a good sized compressor, a good paint gun, and a well ventilated, filtered spray booth. Good luck

·
Registered
2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado
1,023 Posts
What most people don't realize is that there is a flexing agent that should be added to the paint when painting urethane bumper skins. Without it, most paints will crack in a short period of time.

Body shops are cheaper than most think and can have the car done in a few hours.

·
Registered
Seville SLS
8 Posts
Flex agent isnt needed anymore with the new base coat clear coat paint, havent used it in years . I have been in the auto body and paint business since 1969 ,but retired now and still play with it now and then . Restoring a 1962 Ford Falcon Ranchero .

·
Registered
2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado
1,023 Posts
Flex agent isnt needed anymore with the new base coat clear coat paint, havent used it in years.
I was not aware of the discontinued use of the flexing agent, thanks for the update. Paint and body was a hobby, not a career, so I was a little behind in this statement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts