Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im looking to get an opinion on adding just sway bars. I have the sport pkg so i dont want to have to modify my nivomats to add the lowing kit. does the car handle better with just the sways in? also Hotchkis or eibach or what? or does it matter. i saw it looked like the hotchkis bars came wiht new bushings is that right? anyway i need some opinions

p.s. i think we need to start pushing someone for a shortshifterrrrrr

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Bigger sway bars will make the car corner better, although lowering the Cg 1" will help even more. Modifying the Nivomat's is very simply (much simpler than installing the Eibachs). You don't actually modify them, as much as remove a rubber spacer, although currenly the WildWhl mod only works on FE4 (CTS-V) shocks. There happens to be a set for sale on eBay with a $25 opening bid right now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the Hotchkis sway bars on mine, and its the only suspension mod I've made, and its a big difference. But Ody is right, lowering it will help even more.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
odysseus said:
Bigger sway bars will make the car corner better, although lowering the Cg 1" will help even more. Modifying the Nivomat's is very simply (much simpler than installing the Eibachs). You don't actually modify them, as much as remove a rubber spacer, although currenly the WildWhl mod only works on FE4 (CTS-V) shocks. There happens to be a set for sale on eBay with a $25 opening bid right now.
ody, i have the Luxury Sport package with sport suspension, what differnce would CTS V shocks make to my car? Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Newton, I have the Hotchkis and am extemely pleased. It comes with all new hardware and bushings. The eibachs require you to re-use your hardware. The Hotchkis hardware comes with zurch(sp?) to lubricate the bushings easily with a greasegun. You cannot easily grease the eibachs if they get noisy. I would say go for the Hotchkis. Simple install and they provide you with excellent instructions, shouldn't take longer than 2 hours start to finish.

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great responses thanks for your input everyone. i think shes gonna get a new set of hotchkis sways i like the fact that you dont reuse old hardware. ill also look into lowering but i thought it was more of a hassel with the sport pkg shocks.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS
1,007 Posts
do the V sway bars bolt right onto our 3.6's? if so how much better are they over the sport package sway bar?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
joeyblaze said:
do the V sway bars bolt right onto our 3.6's? if so how much better are they over the sport package sway bar?
Assuming you have the sport package its a direct swap. The V bars are bigger in diameter and reduce body lean. Odyesseus has them on his CTS. They use rubber bushings. I wish they were neoprene.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Yup. The V sways are a direct swap, provided you get the bushings with them. The only reason to put the FE4 shocks from the CTS-V would be if you're lowering the car. They're stiffer than the sport shocks (FE3's) AND you can lower the FE4 nivomats with a simple spacer mod.

Eibach will tell you that you have to downgrade to non-load leveling shocks, as the nivomats won't lower. This is true for the FE3's but WildWhl figured out how to lower the FE4 versions very easily. Eibach will also tell you that their springs are designed to be used with your stock shocks. BUT, the rear springs are the same between the CTS and CTS-V kits. So WHICH stock shocks are they designed for? Incidentally, they have almost the same spring rates as the CTS-V springs, so, IMHO, the V shocks are a better match. The ride is much more firm, so if you don't want firm, using non-load leveling shocks would be the answer. It won't ride like a 'Cadillac' any more . . .. but more like a Corvette, with the FE4s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts