Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What make of catback, and how is the cabin volume? Does it still seem like a Caddy with the windows rolled up? Considering buying a modded V but not if it sounds to much like a muscle car.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Kooks 1-3/4 w/o Cats and Corsa catback. Sounds nasty loud WOT. Sounds awesome cruising, no need for a radio. If you don't want a muscle car but want a Caddy, get a regular CTS. CTS-V is one of the last American muscle and I love GM for it.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
I have only a borla catback and i can tell you it sounds like a muscle car without headers. I cant wait to get headers though and really sound good. Dont get a modded V or even a stock one if your going to look for a quiet ride. Maybe check out the sts or base cts.

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kooks 1-3/4 w/o Cats and Corsa catback. Sounds nasty loud WOT. Sounds awesome cruising, no need for a radio. If you don't want a muscle car but want a Caddy, get a regular CTS. CTS-V is one of the last American muscle and I love GM for it.
No six bangers please:) I had a stock C5 Z06 Vette and that is close to the limit of volume for me. I had a Corsa Touring catback on another otherwise stock Vette and it sounded beautiful, but probably not as loud as the Z.
On the Corsa site the CTS-V catback sounds like the Touring model. I wonder if the lack of cats has punched up the volume on your car.
I need the car for work and to meet clients occasionally so big sound isn't a plus.
Did you do the full exhaust at once?

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
I have Kooks 1-3/4" headers with cats and a Magnaflow cat-back. The sound inside the car with the windows up is pretty tame when cruising and is extremely loud (and amazing) at WOT. The only thing I cant stand about the headers is the ticking sound you get when you install them since the walls of the stainless steel primaries are much thinner then the thick steel manifold it doesn't absorb the valvetrain/injector noise as well.

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only a borla catback and i can tell you it sounds like a muscle car without headers. I cant wait to get headers though and really sound good. Dont get a modded V or even a stock one if your going to look for a quiet ride. Maybe check out the sts or base cts.
Since 03 I have had a C5Z06 stock, A C4 with headers and Borla Stingers, a C5 stock with just a Corsa catback, and my current Vette which is a s/c C5 convertible with stock manifolds, an X pipe, and high flow cats. The s/c car had Borla Stingers on it and was just too loud so I swapped out that catback for a C5 Z06 setup. A bit loud because of the soft top but tolerable.
My tuner said if I add headers it won't make a difference in the noise since the muffling comes from the cats and the mufflers. I have heard other cars on his dyno with headers and they don't seem to be any louder than my Vette.
What I am trying to say is that I am used to some decent volume and the better sound deadening on the V means I can have a bit more than on most of the Vettes I have had. The stock V is fine sounding. Any high powered V8 is going to be noisy, they all roar when you floor them but I don't want a repeat of my Borla Stinger cars that were just over my personal line. Nothing worse than paying extra to undo a mod. They don't make Stingers for Cadillacs but all Borlas have a volume rep. I would like to hear yours.
Any droning issues?

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Kooks 1-3/4" headers with cats and a Magnaflow cat-back. The sound inside the car with the windows up is pretty tame when cruising and is extremely loud (and amazing) at WOT. The only thing I cant stand about the headers is the ticking sound you get when you install them since the walls of the stainless steel primaries are much thinner then the thick steel manifold it doesn't absorb the valvetrain/injector noise as well.
The car I am interested in also has Kooks and a Magnaflow. Tame when cruising is the big thing. I don't want the drone and I don't want to sound like my 20 year old neighbor's Camaro. What it sounds like at WOT doesn't much matter because that is only when you want it.
Did you dyno tune after you added them?

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
The car I am interested in also has Kooks and a Magnaflow. Tame when cruising is the big thing. I don't want the drone and I don't want to sound like my 20 year old neighbor's Camaro. What it sounds like at WOT doesn't much matter because that is only when you want it.
Did you dyno tune after you added them?
Yep, numbers are in my sig! It is a great sounding combo, search SkullV's on youtube and I have a few different sound clips and some WOT runs on a dyno.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
I have B&B long tubes and catback. It sounds like a ****ing Nascar.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
109 Posts
Since 03 I have had a C5Z06 stock, A C4 with headers and Borla Stingers, a C5 stock with just a Corsa catback, and my current Vette which is a s/c C5 convertible with stock manifolds, an X pipe, and high flow cats. The s/c car had Borla Stingers on it and was just too loud so I swapped out that catback for a C5 Z06 setup. A bit loud because of the soft top but tolerable.
My tuner said if I add headers it won't make a difference in the noise since the muffling comes from the cats and the mufflers. I have heard other cars on his dyno with headers and they don't seem to be any louder than my Vette.
What I am trying to say is that I am used to some decent volume and the better sound deadening on the V means I can have a bit more than on most of the Vettes I have had. The stock V is fine sounding. Any high powered V8 is going to be noisy, they all roar when you floor them but I don't want a repeat of my Borla Stinger cars that were just over my personal line. Nothing worse than paying extra to undo a mod. They don't make Stingers for Cadillacs but all Borlas have a volume rep. I would like to hear yours.
Any droning issues?
Well, I actually also have a C5. I just returned it to stock cause im going to sell it soon but its much much quieter then the V. I don't have any drone issues in the V with the borla and i actually love their rumble quite a bit. I wont say that inside its loud but you can tell outside that its much much louder.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
I've got Kooks, hi-flow cats and Corsa. Isn't very loud at cruising RPM.

·
Registered
Cadillac
263 Posts
I've got Kooks headers with hi-flow cats, and a Corsa cat-back. I love it, of course now I'm tossing around the idea of either swapping the resonators for an x-pipe, or the hi-flows for a cat delete pipe... I love loud!

Have you considered going with headers/hi-flow cats, and leaving your stock catback? I'm pretty sure someone on here has done it before... Just search youtube for every possible exhaust combo

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
B&B headers/ hiflow cats/ xpipe/ full 3" catback.....not quiet....sounds mean. I had the catback first. Then went xpipe. Progressively got better and better. W/o the headers it was much quieter. <-still sounded good, but didn't rumble. The headers (maybe it was the hi flow cats) really opened up the low tones and can set car alarms off. :lildevil:

You can always wrap the headers....mine are, and they don't have the normal sewing machine tick that seems to plague most people.

Mustang dyno numbers in my sig.

·
Registered
CTS-V
38 Posts
Just did an exhaust upgrade from stock to Kooks 1 3/4" long-tube headers, hi-flo cats, Corsa cat-back w/ the H pipe. I too was sensitive to it not being obnoxious all the time. Honestly, at idle, under light throttle and cruising there is very little difference (especially from inside the car). Like everyone else has stated it's at WOT that it really rips. Here's a before and after video with a cheap camera resulting in less that audiophile sound but you get the picture. And yes, I know it's dirty in the video - but she's clean as a whistle now.

·
Registered
none
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got Kooks headers with hi-flow cats, and a Corsa cat-back. I love it, of course now I'm tossing around the idea of either swapping the resonators for an x-pipe, or the hi-flows for a cat delete pipe... I love loud!

Have you considered going with headers/hi-flow cats, and leaving your stock catback? I'm pretty sure someone on here has done it before... Just search youtube for every possible exhaust combo
I am actually looking at buying a car with the modded exhaust already on it. It's at the other end of the country so I can get it inspected and pics but hard to evaluate the sound quality. That is why these clips are so useful.

I am not sure about using the stock V catback. It might be part of the reason the Caddy LS6 puts down less power than in the Z06(pretty well all Zs on any dyno make 344-355 at the wheels).The sound bits are definitely quieter from V to Z.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
B&B headers/ hiflow cats/ xpipe/ full 3" catback.....not quiet....sounds mean. I had the catback first. Then went xpipe. Progressively got better and better. W/o the headers it was much quieter. <-still sounded good, but didn't rumble. The headers (maybe it was the hi flow cats) really opened up the low tones and can set car alarms off. :lildevil:

You can always wrap the headers....mine are, and they don't have the normal sewing machine tick that seems to plague most people.

Mustang dyno numbers in my sig.

YouTube - CTS-V B&B Exhaust / Mustang Flowmaster
My headers are unwrapped and I don't have this sewing machine sound... Weird

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
My headers are unwrapped and I don't have this sewing machine sound... Weird
I've got it right now, and I was told by someone knowledgable in such things that the headers had developed a leak. I believe it, too, since it did not used to sound that way.

BTW, mine will be fixed with new gaskets when the UUC flywheel and MMs are put in on July 14th. :D

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Don't worry about the sound. If its a good car, jump on it while you can. I know it sucks to de-mod a car, but its only a couple hundred to install a resonator.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts