Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10-V, 01 Deville ,67 SS427 Impala & wagon, 60 Biscayne
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to list all Cadillac V's with the State of Ohio as limited production cars so collector plates can be issued for these models. The State is requesting a letter which must be from the manufacture stating the total number of units produced. Any help with a contact or source would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I thought that here in Ohio, to have a collector plate, the model has to be at least 25 years old?

EDIT: I'm wrong and based on this I don't think Cadillac will go along with it. Can't hurt to try, though.

QUALIFICATIONS FOR COLLECTOR’S PLATES AND APPLICATION
“Collector’s Vehicle” means any motor vehicle or agricultural tractor or traction engine of special interest having a fair market value of one hundred dollars or more, whether operable or not, that is owned, operated, collected, preserved, restored, maintained or used essentially as a collector’s item, leisure pursuit or investment, but not as the owner’s principal means of transportation.
Due to passage of supplementary legislation, additional criteria is required for the issuance of collector’s license plates. To ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, we now reference the National Automobile Dealers Association Classic, Collectible and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide. If the vehicle is not listed in this guide, we do have other comparable publications that are similarly authoritative and include the 4th Edition Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 (Krause Publications) or The New Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide). Vehicle models not listed in these publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production or is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application. To ensure every opportunity is afforded for the applicant to be granted collector’s license plates, additional consideration will be granted to applicants providing photographs to substantiate vehicle collectibility.

Source: http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4803.pdf

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Ohio collector vehicles fall under 2 classes, older than 25 years and “Limited Production” (under 8,000 unit but I think they revised it to under 5,000 units now). Limited production vehicles such as Corvette, Viper, GNX, Acura NSX, etc. are newer than 25 but fall under this class. I even got my 2004 Chevy Quadrasteer truck after going through and getting production numbers for it. It is now on the collector vehicle list. My contact no longer works for GM so I have to find another way to get this info.

·
Registered
13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)
662 Posts
I am not sure if the CTS-V would be classified separately from a CTS regular but I guess if you got it for Quadrasteer somehow it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe someone also did it for Pontiac 2+2 Aerocoupe cars from the 80's. I'll try and see what happens.

·
Banned
4-door Escalhate, '08 Corvhate Z06, Ford DuraHate Diesel.
362 Posts
What's the point in exploiting a loophole...to take advantage of a license/registration discount? Yes, it is a loophole...example...

A Quadrasteer truck is a "collectible?" :cookoo:

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
I have on 02 Silverado Quadrasteer. I love it! Would like to find one newer with less miles. Mine is getting
tired.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must not have an emissions check station in your area! See back a few years ago in select "emission" counties in Ohio you handed your car keys to $4.25 per hour, 18 year old who would proceed to drive it up on the dyno rollers and crank it up to 60mph for 2 minutes to test exhaust. I can’t tell you how many horror stories the state has had because of this. Also by listing the car as a “collector” I get a sizable discount from my insurance.
All about the dollars and keeping others from driving the car.

C

·
0 Posts
Collector plates were very, very easy to get back in the early 90's. Since then, the state of Ohio has gotten much stricter in giving them out. I had them on my 1993 Mustang Cobra and I did so in order to get out of emissions checks. Also, there was no real discount having these... the point was just to get around e-check. I doubt that the CTS-V could get added to the list because I am sure that GM will just say that 25% of CTS production was the V-series... not good enough for Ohio BMV. I actually had to provide my SVT certificate on my Cobra in order to get the plates. Also, the state will want to know what your other vehicle is since this collector item is not meant to be driven daily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the latest from the State of Ohio...
The CTS V is not on their list. However, they state that: Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the publications (see note below) may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.

Note:the Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 to determine vehicles that are considered to be collector vehicles.
Plus I have several other vehicle with regular plates and Yes, my insurance is discounted if it's list as a collectible (about 30%-40%). I've done this to my 96 Impala SS, 04 Chevy Quadrasteer, and a friends NSX. Just have to play the red tape game. There are exceptions to rules, just got to find them. Just like window tint in Ohio, Limo tint is legal on all windows except the entire windshield. Just have to find the loop hole like having a prescription note saying you have a sensitive to light. Cops hate the note but it works. And Yes my have has the condition that requires her to carry the note.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts