Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all the research I can find I am on board with those saying 2-EHA is the curse ingrediant of Dex-cool. The add from this Peak coolant specifically says it does not have it. I plan to try it in my GM vehicles since it meets their spec and is the only coolant out there that meets it while not using 2-EHA in it's formulation. So just wondering if anyone has experience with it. I also see reports that GM re-formulted the plastics in its more recent vehicle (around 06 to present) gaskets so they do not soften as fast in the presents of 2-EHA but that will take time to prove so I have to ask why not just take 2-EHA out?

Too many lawers on GMs Butt?

Anyway I will report back once I use this stuff for a while.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Dex-Cool is perfectly fine and designed to use on our cars. Is there any particular reason you are trying to convert the system?

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Research 2-EHA and the effects it has on plastics. Had 2 intake gaskets leak and both times dealer said gasket had failed? Had 2 water pump gaskets fail and had a crossover gasket fail. All with GM dex cool less than 2 years old. Now the extended warranty is up so I want the 2-EHA out and thats the only reason. Also I would really not call it a convert since it is specified as dex cool replacement. However time will tell, if in about 35K I have not failed these same gaskets or something worse I will call it a win.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM & Texaco Dex cool, Prestone long life, Supertech long life and pretty much all the other long life coolants with the Dex Cool branding are OAT Organic Acid Technology type coolant that contain 2-EHA. Peak Global lifetime deos not have 2-EHA. Ford, Dodge and the asian, european mfg. have long life coolants but they do not contain 2-EHA.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Weird, Northstar intake system is dry and involves no coolant. Also there are Dex-cool running cars without gasket failures in their lifetime. Well your research has a point, I would be interested in the result.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....Had 2 intake gaskets leak and both times dealer said gasket had failed?
DEX-COOL is not the intake gasket failure culprit in a Northstar.
Had 2 water pump gaskets fail and had a crossover gasket fail. All with GM dex cool less than 2 years old.
How does that point to a DEX-COOL related failure?
....I want the 2-EHA out and thats the only reason.
Your car, your money, your choice.
....since it is specified as dex cool replacement.
There are no DEX-COOL "replacements"!! A coolant bottler is either licensed to produce DEX-COOL, or the label cannot display the "DEX-COOL" trademark. Period.
However time will tell, if in about 35K I have not failed these same gaskets or something worse I will call it a win.
Right. Your car, your money, your choice. How about a 200,000+ mile Northstar with zero cooling system problems that can be attributed to the chemical makeup of DEX-COOL?

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of cooling or other major failures have you had in 200K? Correct about the dex-cool label, it has to have 2EHA to be Dex labeled and all the ones I looked at with Dex-cool label have it. Also 2-EHA is attributed to the brown death of may GM cooling system, it is not happy when it gets with air. Since mine uses the pressure tank I have not seen this in my car but I have witnessed it in many GM cars that just have the overflow reserve tank and after a few failed attempts at flushing, installing the reccomended spring vac break radiator cap and keeping jug fuller than normal with Dex-cool we ened up flushing those and switching to regular green. Anyway Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
What kind of cooling or other major failures have you had in 200K?
Nothing I would call a major failure; the car has not ever left me stranded.

The cooling system work I have done is replace the water pump cartridge and the water pump cover plate due to "seepage". Not uncommon.

And the radiator end tank cracked but even that large a leak did not leave me stranded.

....Also 2-EHA is attributed to the brown death of may GM cooling system, it is not happy when it gets with air.
You will have to explain brown death to me.

Since the Northstar coolant reservoir is an active part of a "closed" cooling system, whatever takes place when DEX-COOL is in contact with air is not an issue.

But it's not clear to me what that air & DEX-COOL reaction might be.

I do replace my DEX-COOL much more frequently then the maintanence schedule recommends. I consider it inexpensive insurance to keep the corrosion inhibitor chemistry fresh.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
Are you talking about the brown discoloration in the surge tank, I thought that was from the sealant tabs Cadillac used to use.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
No matter how old the Dex-cool is, it always looked the same & with its distinctive orange color. I'd like to know about the brown death also. All I've seen is the one caused by sealant tabs.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google or bing search Dex cool problems or Dex cool class action suit or something like that, I have seen pictures and many articles and I have personally seen it in several GM vehicles, it is a thick gooy mess that plugs the radiator and cooling passages. My boss has a Grand Prix that is suffering from it now, when you open the radiator cap it is like jello in the filler neck and down into the radiator. I have never seen it in anything with a pressurized tank but on those with non pressurized recovery tanks it is pretty common. Our local radiator shop made a killing flushing it out and putting regular antifreeze back in. GM issues some fixes which did not work, it was to add a Stant radiator cap that had a spring loaded vacuum break instead of the dangler vacuum break, and they reccomended keeping the tank full to the hot when cold. But that did not really help. Anyway I am not on a bash dex-cool campain I just wanted the 2EHA out and Peak global add says it is not in it and they said it is fine for cars requiring Dexcool (not dex cool labled) and since it is still OAT technology which is same technology as Dexcool I am trying it. I really just wanted to know if anyone else had used it and I guess I am the first on this forum anyway. BTW I always changed out my dexcool every 2 years and the T-stat every 4 and the car has never been overheated. And the Dex always came out looking good.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Yaa, most (if not all) of the people on the forum do not have those problems. I recently opened my engine up and everything is clean there. No brown goo.

One of their webpage refers Dex-Cool as "maintenance free cooling system"? There is no maintenance free cooling system.

I am also happy to report that all of my Cadillacs, also including my family's 06 Chevy Express van, 99 Silverado(sold) does not (or did not) have that problem.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I feel for the owners of engines with DEX-COOL related problems. Those folks may or may not have been treated poorly by GM when their vehicle was under warrany. And the various class actions were settled out of court by a GM that had bigger fish to fry; they were looking at bankruptcy coming over the horizon and the cost of defending one more class action was only draining resources needed to keep the company solvent.

However --- the Northstar was not one of the engines cited in any of those class action suits. The engines cited in the actions I followed are; 3.1 L, 3.4 L, 3.8 L, and 4.3L.

I detect an overload of sarcasm in the various sites that portend to provide "information" re DEX-COOL. What is missing is references to documentation. But that is the nature of an "open" Internet; BS filters are mandatory.

Good luck with your Peak Global experiment.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
Sounds like flocculation which is formed when you mix the two different types of antifreeze together, hence, don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,413 Posts
Google or bing search Dex cool problems or Dex cool class action suit or something like that, I have seen pictures and many articles and I have personally seen it in several GM vehicles, it is a thick gooy mess that plugs the radiator and cooling passages. My boss has a Grand Prix that is suffering from it now, when you open the radiator cap it is like jello in the filler neck and down into the radiator. I have never seen it in anything with a pressurized tank but on those with non pressurized recovery tanks it is pretty common. Our local radiator shop made a killing flushing it out and putting regular antifreeze back in. GM issues some fixes which did not work, it was to add a Stant radiator cap that had a spring loaded vacuum break instead of the dangler vacuum break, and they reccomended keeping the tank full to the hot when cold. But that did not really help. Anyway I am not on a bash dex-cool campain I just wanted the 2EHA out and Peak global add says it is not in it and they said it is fine for cars requiring Dexcool (not dex cool labled) and since it is still OAT technology which is same technology as Dexcool I am trying it. I really just wanted to know if anyone else had used it and I guess I am the first on this forum anyway. BTW I always changed out my dexcool every 2 years and the T-stat every 4 and the car has never been overheated. And the Dex always came out looking good.
I suspect what you are describing is the cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs. Your '03 did not have them added at the factory. Nothing but Dex in there.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
I've seen it, in my 4.3L Jimmy. Its a brown gooey substance that usually attaches itself to the radiator opening and the bottom of the radiator cap, sort of looks like what hangs on the bottom of your oil fill cap if you get coolant in the oil. Its prevelent in cars with catch tanks where the coolant overflows into the catch tank as it heats up and is drawn back into the radiator as the coolant cools back down. Has something to do with air getting entrained into the coolant that sits in the catch tank. Will not happen if you don't have a catch tank (cadillacs) or if your coolant system doesn't have leaks in it. You have to really ignore your cooling system for it to get bad enough to clog radiators or heater cores. Mine was never more than about 1/3 of the radiator cap having some sign of it, and it wipes right off with a rag. Never saw any sign of it in the internals of the radiator, or heater core, although I did go thru 3 heater cores in 256K miles on the truck.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me be clear, I never saw brown gunk in the 03 Cad but I have seen it in a bunch of GM vehicles. However I have had a tiny little leak that has been with the car since I bought it at 21K miles. This leak persisted even after the water pump cover leak, double crossover leaks and water pump, then water pump cover again were repaired. It is small about 1 pt every 6 months, you never see it but you can smell it when you shut off the car and walk by the engine in the garage. When I put in the Peak global lifetime I put in a can of the powdered stop leak "Bars leak" And after about 300 miles I no longer smell the leak, it is still too early to tell if the loss has stopped. Oil always looks good and when I drained the Dexcool it looked fine as well and it was only 1 year old. I only threw out the brown death becasue a couple people ask what I was refering too when explaining some of the reasons why I was trying Peak Global Lifetime in hopes of leaving the Dexcool.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,413 Posts
I put in a can of the powdered stop leak "Bars leak" And after about 300 miles I no longer smell the leak, it is still too early to tell if the loss has stopped.
It most likely plugged the leak. That's what Barsleaks if meant for and effective at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts